Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 chirping from frunk area. (during preconditioning and while heat is on)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2 months of observation and a trip to the service center without a definitive explanation, I’ve figured out 1 definite contributor to the infamous squeaking/chirping, which is presumably coming from the condenser/radiator fan. Cold weather is a definite component to this problem . I live in a cold climate(Wisconsin) and as the temperature drops, the chirping becomes louder and more consistent. I’m not certain If moisture had gotten into the fans motor or not, but after blowing hot air into the front of the car via torpedo heater, the noise went away. I have not yet determined if this is a result of the components being warm or moisture drying up. But blowing warm/hot area into the front of the car eliminates the noise. At least for the short term. When the car is re-exposed to the cold temperatures, the chirping returns. I’m uncertain if this is “normal” or not. Hope this helps all of you model 3 and Y owners with this problem

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jedisparky
After 2 months of observation and a trip to the service center without a definitive explanation, I’ve figured out 1 definite contributor to the infamous squeaking/chirping, which is presumably coming from the condenser/radiator fan. Cold weather is a definite component to this problem . I live in a cold climate(Wisconsin) and as the temperature drops, the chirping becomes louder and more consistent. I’m not certain If moisture had gotten into the fans motor or not, but after blowing hot air into the front of the car via torpedo heater, the noise went away. I have not yet determined if this is a result of the components being warm or moisture drying up. But blowing warm/hot area into the front of the car eliminates the noise. At least for the short term. When the car is re-exposed to the cold temperatures, the chirping returns. I’m uncertain if this is “normal” or not. Hope this helps all of you model 3 and Y owners with this problem
Just curious did you ever get this resolved through Tesla? Mine started happening last week. I’ve had my car for over a year now.
Iam taking it into Tesla to take a look. It’s annoying.

Reactions: Jedisparky
Just curious did you ever get this resolved through Tesla? Mine started happening last week. I’ve had my car for over a year now.
I am taking it into Tesla to take a look. It’s annoying.
I just ran into this on another thread, incase someone finds it helpful.

"There was a squeaking chirping noise coming from somewhere in the car. Service on the app, took a week for a tech to come out for mobile service and he couldn't replicate it (of course). It started up again and I took it in to a service center. Took about 2 hours, it was a poorly fastened rear seat latch, they reinstalled, added friction tape and it was done. No cost for either service. The service people were great, and I was very happy they found it, but from what I gathered, it's not an uncommon problem. You just won't get an "immediate" appointment and it's all through the app - if you have a major issue, service could be a problem."

I think I have the same problem.
When I pulled into the garage and upon getting out of the car I can hear some sort of belt noise except it’s not as load and it’s also intermittently. So it sounds more like there is a bird chirping under the frunk.
Then the noise will disappear as the car shuts off.
It happens when it’s cold. Like -20c. It’s a 2023 Rwd with 5k km.

Reactions: Kingmasta
I think I have the same problem on my 23MY. However, I do not think this is a cold weather issue as suggested by some on this thread. It’s 70+ degrees here is OC and also quite dry. For me This sound suddenly started after a software update (2023.26.9) the night before. link to a video showing the issue on my car.

Has anyone gotten this fixed at the service center?

I think I have the same problem on my 23MY. However, I do not think this is a cold weather issue as suggested by some on this thread. It’s 70+ degrees here is OC and also quite dry. For me This sound suddenly started after a software update (2023.26.9) the night before. link to a video showing the issue on my car.

Has anyone gotten this fixed at the service center?
update:- I got this issue resolved. they replace the radiator fan in the front.