Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Long Range compared to 2019 Model 3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of my 2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range. Here are my thoughts after 145 KM on how it compared to my 2019 Model 3 Standard Range Plus.

Quietness
The quietness is so much better than the 2019 M3 SR+. Tesla drastically reduced the road noise in the 2022 M3 LR in comparison.

Dual Motor
I thought the 2019 M3 SR+ pulled, but the power of the dual motors brings it to another level. Unfortunately, I had the snow tires on within 48 hours with the Southern Ontario winter upon us. They are ugly steel wheels with NO Tesla TSPM, but they have served the 2019 M3 SR+ over the past two winters, and I was super happy they also fit the 2022 M3 LR.

Nice surprises
  • The 2022 M3 LR charges at 40A at home, compared to 32A with the 2019 M3 SR+. That gives me over 67 km/hr compared to 42 km/hr. This is using the Tesla wall connector (not the refreshed one)
  • I didn't know I would have the Full self-driving computer, and no, I didn't order FSD.
  • I didn't know it would have ambient lights and puddle lights on the door.
  • The sound system is drastically better than the 2019 M3 SR+

Fit and Finish

I know this seems to be the most significant thing everyone wants to know. I didn't go over the car with a micrometre, but everything is good enough for me.

The front driver's seat feels like it doesn't go down to the floor as far as the 2019 M3 SR+ did, but it could be the seats were more broken-in.

Software version

The 2022 M3 LR is on software version 2021.35.103. My 2019 M3 SR+ was on 2021.40.6. I'm unsure if this is the latest and greatest for the 2022 M3 LR.

Delivery dates

I ordered the 2022 M3 LR on October 23rd and took delivery on December 11th in Kitchener, Ontario. The whole process took 49 days. The transaction was as quick and seamless as possible. I went in early for my scheduled delivery time and was immediately greeted and was on my way in about 10-15 minutes after a few signatures. I spent more than 20 minutes adjusting all the settings to my liking in the parking lot.

Selling my 2019 SR+

I sold my 2019 M3 SR+ earlier on the same day to a good home. That's another story for another day regarding all the scammers on Autotrader.ca and Kijiji Autos. There are quite a few people who disguise themselves as private buyers only to end working for a dealership. While this isn't bad, the way these people interact with you is very unprofessional, borderline deceitful and overall very classless.

Thanks for your time and reading. I hope this might help anyone on the fence and wanting to upgrade.

Thanks for your review. I am doing a similar upgrade, from 2020 SR+ to 2022 LR. Just to comment that the LR can do 40A with the NEMA 14-50 wall charger and 48A with the hardwire wall charger.

Enjoy your new car!

Thanks for your time and reading. I hope this might help anyone on the fence and wanting to upgrade.

My wife and I were also going to upgrade from an SR+ to an LR given the current market. However, when we went to test drive we ended up figuring out that 4 of thr 5 demo cars we had access to made a distinct humming sound coming from the passenger side forward of the dash. When you get in the car, with HVAC off and while in park, this humming sound is loud and distracting. Our two current teslas do not make this sound (owners who complain about this sound to service centers are being told the sound is normal. It is not). We immediately put our order on hold as this sound ruins the experience for us.

There are a couple threads in the model Y forum about this sound. Is your car free of this loud hum? It sounds like an electrical transformer to me but has been identified as a pump in the front bay of the car.

My wife and I were also going to upgrade from an SR+ to an LR given the current market. However, when we went to test drive we ended up figuring out that 4 of thr 5 demo cars we had access to made a distinct humming sound coming from the passenger side forward of the dash. When you get in the car, with HVAC off and while in park, this humming sound is loud and distracting. Our two current teslas do not make this sound (owners who complain about this sound to service centers are being told the sound is normal. It is not). We immediately put our order on hold as this sound ruins the experience for us.

There are a couple threads in the model Y forum about this sound. Is your car free of this loud hum? It sounds like an electrical transformer to me but has been identified as a pump in the front bay of the car.
I haven't noticed any worrying or annoying humming / electrical sounds in my October 2021 build M3P. It certainly has its own distinct set of noises, different from my 2013 S P85 (RWD / rear motor only), but nothing bothersome. I haven't noticed that constant humming you've described but I'll listen carefully for it next time I use the car.

That said...my experience is having a front motor DOES add more motor sound overall. Early dual motor Model S especially were much louder than my rear motor S, due to the front drive unit. It was extra apparent when the rear motor of a P85D loaner failed on me. Driving around with just the front motor was surprisingly loud. The sound was more like gearbox whine to me than electrical/motor noise, but regardless, front drive unit sounds do seem to travel into Tesla cabins easier than rear motor. Newer dual motor S are quieter than the older ones, I think Tesla made some changes focused on reducing front drive unit noise.

I haven't been in a RWD Model 3 in a long time though, I can't make a direct comparison there, but I would expect it to be slightly quieter overall than AWD Model 3 (assuming same build range / features, e.g. 2021 vs 2021).

All this said...Teslas can have wide build variation sadly. So if you have an SR+ that you really like, maybe sticking with it is safer than switching to a new/different LR.

The only noise difference I hear between the 2022 M3 LR and 2019 M3 SR+ is the heat pump, is sometimes loud. It's not enough to deter me in any way. In fact I had my first road trip this weekend in the snow during a small storm, and I know the SR+ would have issues with being rear wheel drive, even though with snow tires, the SR+ was a beast. The M3 LR in the snow, with the exact same snow tires, was even more solid and the extra range made my snow anxiety go away. I can tell you under your described circumstance, my M3 LR doesn't make any loud humming noises.

Reactions: XPsionic
@PaulSu's mention of heat pump sounds is a good point. @ftmaybe you didn't say what year your SR+ is. Maybe what you heard was related to the heat pump, if you're not used to that, which does have its own collection of sounds. I don't find the heat pump noises annoying at all, but I do hear them. That might also explain why you heard it in only 4 of 5 cars - the heat pump sounds will vary greatly depending on what it's trying to do at the moment.

I'll also mention the heat pump based climate control in my 2021 Model 3 works really well. It's the best climate control of any car I've owned, and much better than my 2013 S (no heat pump). I don't live in an extreme climate though.

All this said...Teslas can have wide build variation sadly. So if you have an SR+ that you really like, maybe sticking with it is safer than switching to a new/different LR.

Aye, I have already considered this. Unfortunately we didn't discover this issue was so widespread until after we put in our $250 "order fee". I'd be just fine canceling the order and waiting until all the new factories come online and maybe the showrooms carry inventory cars. At that point you'd be able to see the car you are buying before committing (like every other car I have bought in my life). However - now I am uncertain if I am going to be able to get that $250 fee back without a fight with Tesla. We ordered under the justifiable pretense that any new car we ordered would be better or the same than the three we have owned. Unfortunately this loud humming pump noise possibility is not something we really want to risk.

@PaulSu's mention of heat pump sounds is a good point. @ftmaybe you didn't say what year your SR+ is. Maybe what you heard was related to the heat pump, if you're not used to that, which does have its own collection of sounds. I don't find the heat pump noises annoying at all, but I do hear them. That might also explain why you heard it in only 4 of 5 cars - the heat pump sounds will vary greatly depending on what it's trying to do at the moment.

I have a 2021 Model Y with a heat pump. It is almost silent, as is my wife's 2020 Model 3 SR+ (and that car is her second.. the previous was a 2019 SR+ which also did not make this sound). To be clear, the cars we have owned make a "sound" when they are online, but this sound is only a mild whirring noise. I always attributed this sound to maybe a fan for the MCU but now that this "hum" problem is around my thought is it is the same pump that has been identified in the original thread, only this older design is nowhere near as obnoxious sounding. I have no trouble with the car making some kind of mechanical noise, its that not only is the "new" sound annoying but I still believe it is unnecessary and is only there because Tesla has not bothered to address it.

Unfortunately I think that offering possibilities of a front motor sound or a heat pump sound etc actually cover up the fact that Tesla changed something - and they won't admit that they changed something (at least the service centers people who have this problem are reporting about). Instead they insist that the sound is normal which it is absolutely not.

Its possible that they had to switch suppliers due to covid and the new supplier makes a crappy loud pump. Or, recently someone with an M3P reported that their car has the sound and the sound gets louder in track mode.. which might suggest that Tesla put in a stronger pump for better "performance" but failed to evaluate or care about how this would affect customer experience. Maybe once all this supply chain crap goes away in a year or two, the problem will magically "go away" because Tesla can get a better part or the original part reliably again.

I went through all of the demo cars with my sales advisor (he offered to do this). He heard the sound and we went through all this same "logical troubleshooting" of front motor / hvac / heat pump etc, but this sound is not related to any of that. he has an M3P on order and said the sound does not bother him. My belief is that a lot of cars have this issue only most don't know it should not be there or for others the sound isn't important. This may result in Tesla never fixing this issue because it while the "problem" is legitimate, if they aren't receiving mass complaints then there is no reason to address it. Which is a real drag, my wife and I love Tesla .. not only have we bought three of them, I own a good amount of Tesla stock. I believe in what they are doing and IMO their cars are the closest to exactly what I have ever wanted out of a car. Its disappointing that we can't just slam dunk buy a new car and trust that they will deliver better than what we already own.

Hi everyone,

I just took delivery of my 2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range. Here are my thoughts after 145 KM on how it compared to my 2019 Model 3 Standard Range Plus.

Quietness
The quietness is so much better than the 2019 M3 SR+. Tesla drastically reduced the road noise in the 2022 M3 LR in comparison.

Dual Motor
I thought the 2019 M3 SR+ pulled, but the power of the dual motors brings it to another level. Unfortunately, I had the snow tires on within 48 hours with the Southern Ontario winter upon us. They are ugly steel wheels with NO Tesla TSPM, but they have served the 2019 M3 SR+ over the past two winters, and I was super happy they also fit the 2022 M3 LR.

Nice surprises
  • The 2022 M3 LR charges at 40A at home, compared to 32A with the 2019 M3 SR+. That gives me over 67 km/hr compared to 42 km/hr. This is using the Tesla wall connector (not the refreshed one)
  • I didn't know I would have the Full self-driving computer, and no, I didn't order FSD.

Fit and Finish

I know this seems to be the most significant thing everyone wants to know. I didn't go over the car with a micrometre, but everything is good enough for me.

The front driver's seat feels like it doesn't go down to the floor as far as the 2019 M3 SR+ did, but it could be the seats were more broken-in.

Software version

The 2022 M3 LR is on software version 2021.35.103. My 2019 M3 SR+ was on 2021.40.6. I'm unsure if this is the latest and greatest for the 2022 M3 LR.

Delivery dates

I ordered the 2022 M3 LR on October 23rd and took delivery on December 11th in Kitchener, Ontario. The whole process took 49 days. The transaction was as quick and seamless as possible. I went in early for my scheduled delivery time and was immediately greeted and was on my way in about 10-15 minutes after a few signatures. I spent more than 20 minutes adjusting all the settings to my liking in the parking lot.

Selling my 2019 SR+

I sold my 2019 M3 SR+ earlier on the same day to a good home. That's another story for another day regarding all the scammers on Autotrader.ca and Kijiji Autos. There are quite a few people who disguise themselves as private buyers only to end working for a dealership. While this isn't bad, the way these people interact with you is very unprofessional, borderline deceitful and overall very classless.

This is very exciting. I was looking for something like this. I take delivery of my LR AWD on the 28th.
I did have a 2021 M3 SR+ that I sold.
Thanks for posting.

Great post. I am in a similar boat. My wife drives nearly 100miles round trip each day for work, and she does have range anxiety on winter days (we live in chicago), so thinking of upgrading to the 2022 LR.

I understand the tax incentives may not happen, but any thoughts on waiting for the newer batteries/other plants going online and any possible price reductions as a result?

Thanks again

Thanks for posting! I also have a 2019 SR+ and I've thought about getting a LR AWD for ski trips, but I'm probably too cheap. With tax incentives (some now expired) and creative shopping with Tesla, I got my 2019 for about $24,000.

Great post. I am in a similar boat. My wife drives nearly 100miles round trip each day for work, and she does have range anxiety on winter days (we live in chicago), so thinking of upgrading to the 2022 LR.

I understand the tax incentives may not happen, but any thoughts on waiting for the newer batteries/other plants going online and any possible price reductions as a result?

Thanks again

The going price for used car is at an all time high. You have to keep this in mind, as you might not get the same return for your SR+ if you wait.

Also, technology always evolves. History has shown us that you will get better battery, performance, accessories if you choose to wait. However, the LR is a very very solid car right now. I switched from a 2020 SR+ to a 2022 LR and I'm very happy I made the switch while I could. The build quality seems much better and everything in general feels better for some reason. Although I choose the exact same color as I had, it feels like a different but better car.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Hi everyone,

Quietness

Dual Motor

Nice surprises

Fit and Finish

Software version

Delivery dates

Selling my 2019 SR+

Are you experiencing any more phantom braking than your 2019?

I made the jump as well from 2021 SR+ to 2022 LR. I sold my SR+ for $5K more than I paid for it so made the change worth it. No regrets whatsoever.

The build quality of my LR was better than my SR+. The Ryzen is much quicker particularly noticable when closing apps (Netflix,YouTube) as on Intel it seemed to be delayed when closing. I'm still waiting for latest software update to enable heated wipers so can't comment on those.

I haven't experienced any phantom braking yet but honestly haven't used autopilot too extensively in the brief 2 weeks with LR.

• Informative
Reactions: Sans-gas and tm1v2