Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Long Range. DC to Austin to SpaceX to Titusville to DC. 4400 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a series of random thoughts

1. Tire pressure is affected by temperature more than I expected. I'm normally at around 40 because the tires seem to slowly lose air. However, when I was in Brownsville, I saw that the pressure of each tire was at 45psi! They're back down to 39psi now that I'm back in the (cool) DC area again. I haven't noticed a change in handling throughout, but the consumption data coming from the car says that I'm losing a fraction of a percent of my battery power due to low pressure. I don't recall any comments while they were overpressure.

2. Unsurprisingly, superchargers away from heavy traffic areas (e.g. middle of South Texas) weren't very busy, but there was almost always at least one other car at any charger that I visited. Twice a woman was the only person at the charger when it was dark outside and left as soon as I arrived. Not feeling safe must be horrible.

3. I don't understand what the route planner is trying to do with supercharger selection. At the beginning of the trip (in more rural states), it seemed to be sending me about 2 hours between charging sessions, which I quite liked. By the end, when I had reached more populous areas, it was doing weird things like picking a charger that was 1.5 hours away, then one 3 hours away. More than once, I had to look up available chargers along the path to pick ones that were better suited to my two hour preference. Tesla may have spaced things out by 2 hours in the rural areas so the planner was forced to use that spacing, and the planner has bugs (or is considering things I don't care about) when planning near many chargers. I did change my maximum charge percentage at some point from 80 to 97 so that my maximum wouldn't interfere with a needed charge. But I may have inadvertently told the planner that I wanted longer trip legs. Dunno.

4. In all, the trip covered about 4400 miles, and I had only two clear reactions to the car. One was in Arkansas when a couple 20-somethings in a brown sedan (maybe a Subaru) passed me. The passenger was clearly yelling something at me. He was rolling up the window when I first noticed him coming even with me. That's when he started rolling it down again so he could continue his tirade as the car receded into the distance. I have no idea what he said. The other reaction was in Texas when a car was again passing me. I'm doing a very modest 70 and this guy blew past me at around 85-90 with the passenger sitting on the sill of the window, giving me the "cool" sign. When they got past, he just dropped back into the car. I can only assume that they do that to Teslas to see if they can get on one of those Tesla dashcam YouTube channels.

Oh, I have to add that I did have a nice older gentleman approach me when he saw the car at the Starship facility. He started out by asking about getting in and out of the car when the battery dies. I have to assume that one of his doubting friends took him to task about that.

5. I got 265 Wh/mi for the trip overall. Bizarrely, I had a 7-10 mph wind that was either coming straight at my front or from the side. No tailwinds during the entire loop. I rarely exceeded 70 mph, but certainly that was the bulk of my driving.

6. You cannot get a tour of Tesla's Austin Gigafactory. The guy at the gate said that it was a "live construction site" and would remain so for another 3-4 years.

7. A SpaceX contractor said that SpaceX is now aiming for an April 20 launch of Starship.

8. The trip planner in the car doesn't show time zone changes on your route. The times are always expressed in the local time zone, so they only update once you cross into the next time zone. This caused me to misunderstand my arrival time in Titusville, Florida, where I wanted to watch the CRS-27 launch. I was 40 minutes late (instead of my planned 20 minutes early), so I stopped at Flagler Beach (65 miles up the coast) and watched there. I was surprised to find that launches are a thing for the locals. They go down to the beach for each launch. It was a pretty good spot to see the launch, as it turned out. I just wish CRS-27 had involved the booster returning to the launch site. We could see the entry burn for the booster, but nothing of the landing burn on the barge.

Anyway, I'd like to see the times in the location's time zone. So show

City A Supercharger 2 3:27pm
--- Time Zone Change Mountain to Pacific ---
City B Supercharger 4 3:27pm

or some such thing. Just make clear what's happening.

9. Speaking of time zones, I think that NoA wigged out as I passed from Central to Eastern time. NoA braked hard and wouldn't resume normal travel until I disabled and reenabled it.

10. I was constantly battling the speed setting, especially in Texas. Their speed limits are at least 10 mph higher than the equivalent roadway here in the DC area. Texas is big, of course, so they need high speeds, but it seemed like a speed limit 55 or higher was a statement that you should do 75. Anyway, the limit seemed to be changing all the time, and many of the changes (but not always) would trigger the autopilot to reset the car's maximum speed. Sometimes up and sometimes down.

11. The introduction of adaptive cruise control and lane keeping is a huge win for road trips. Adding the ability to change lanes just by using the turn signal was really nice. That stuff, combined with voice GPS made navigating so straightforward for me. I don't let NoA make lane changes on its own, so I can't speak to that experience.

12. My right foot hurt. The normal position for the right leg is mostly-outstretched with the foot on the accelerator pedal. When I have NoA running, I get my foot away from the pedals. But there's nowhere comfortable to rest my foot and position my leg for 4400 miles of driving. My left leg was fine, but my right foot/ankle/leg definitely ended up sore no matter how I positioned myself. I could only do so much because I had to be able to quickly move my foot to the pedals. I'm wondering if a hump to the right of the pedals would work in the same way that the hump works on the left side.

13. I never used FSDb on the trip. After driving for hundreds of miles with NoA, FSDb is far too jerky in comparison. Not that NoA is perfect. There were times when I tried to trigger a lane change and it would start it, then snap back to the starting lane. I also found it frustratingly-slow in accelerating once a lane change into a faster lane was completed. In contrast, FSDb accelerates as it is making the lane change, which I like.

14. Random observation: the road into the SpaceX Starship facility has been beaten and broken pretty badly. But the return lanes are in pretty good shape. The contrast confused me until I realized that everything at Starbase went in via that road, but empty trucks travelled out. It was a c;lear illustration of how the weight of a vehicle can damage a road - even if it's a rather extreme example. I guess I saw the same thing on the highways where trucks were banned from the left lane. At least there was one intact lane.

15. The entire US road system appears to be under construction. I guess that's that federal money from "The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act" showing its influence.

16. Superchargers are in their infancy for conveniences. Most seem to be near a hotel or a fast food place, but even simple things like covers to keep the rain off, or squeegies to clean a windshield are generally not available. This area has a long way to go.

17. For reasons I won't go into, I drove 21 hours straight at one point - well, with charging breaks, of course. The car didn't bat an eye at the treatment. I may have been kinda loopy by the end, so I'm only mostly sure that it performed well in the later stages.

18. Texas is a barbarous state. I couldn't find peppermint patties anywhere.

19. The screen should have a matte finish straight from the factory.

20. The automation nag for hands-on-the-steering-wheel has got to go. That, or I want the ability to nag the developers in real time each time the car screws up. ping boop beep

48609724527_af95a8253b_b.jpg

"Electric car Tesla Model 3 parks in the shade, in front of Supercharger stations" by verchmarco is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

21. The seats are problematic for sleeping because you cannot rest your head against the head rest. It's rounded, and your head will just not find any support on it. I got a couple towels and arranged them to give my head support, and that allowed me to get a very nice nap.

In contrast, I have been able to nap in much cheaper seats because the headrest was flat.

Texas IS a barbarous state, for real!
But Tesla is there! Actually and thankfully, wind and solar power are growing a lot in Texas. I understand that sometimes they provide for all, literally all, of the power needs. And that's a good thing because those energy sources are a lot cleaner and, along with EVs, further help us reduce any potential for our reliance on foreign oil.

Reactions: Got2DrivePepe!
But Tesla is there! Actually and thankfully, wind and solar power are growing a lot in Texas. I understand that sometimes they provide for all, literally all, of the power needs. And that's a good thing because those energy sources are a lot cleaner and, along with EVs, further help us reduce any potential for our reliance on foreign oil.
I think there are SOME “times” when most if not all the power in Texas, certainly parts of it MIGHT be or could be powered by Wind and Solar (solar not actually as large as one would think in TX), but it would most likely be just nighttime and early morning hours when the wind blows often hard and the overall demand curve is low.

I think last year, Wind as a function of renewables in Texas was still about 4x Solar, and mostly concentrated with the heavy infrastructure in the north and panhandle. Saldy, the wind power in the northern part of the state can’t get to the entire state, as much as one thinks their monopolistic power provider could handle it, their infrastructure statewide cannot. So, that too would go to the entire states needs not really being able to be met ACTUALLY with these sources combined other than limited times of day and mostly Feb-May, and not June-Jan.

Battery storage is growing, but with an OVER supply many times of wind energy capability, again mostly evening hours, the power providers tell the Wind generators to throttle down their generation.

When EM said (I’ve taken to just taking everything said with a grain of salt) that they were going to offer a $30 a month nighttime charging rate to Tesla owners I figured this was going to try and tap into that un-used and often shut off supply of evening/overnight wind power generation. It most likely might NOT be available to anyone, anywhere in the state.

NattyG still produces the majority of Tx energy needs and sadly I don’t see that going away anytime soon.

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson
Thanks, very informative. I love these long road trip reports here because I bought this car, in no small part, as a touring vehicle.

One of my primary anxieties was obviously charging stations but I've seen other reports here & elsewhere then unless you are really in the hinterlands you are generally fine with a bit of planning.

Your report of the car's advanced navigation systems doing exactly what you'd expect them to do over monotonous long stretches of highway driving is great to hear. That was a major driver (pun intended!) of my purchase decision. ✌

Reactions: JB47394
One of my primary anxieties was obviously charging stations but I've seen other reports here & elsewhere then unless you are really in the hinterlands you are generally fine with a bit of planning.
Yes, Tesla gets charging right, and their system needs only a bit of refining. It's certainly lightyears ahead of the general public charging infrastructure. I'm not quite sure why they don't go with Tesla's approach, where you just plug in and the system recognizes the car and bills the associated credit card. Using an app to turn on a charger seems cumbersome.

I have the CCS and J1772 adapters, but didn't need them for this trip.
Your report of the car's advanced navigation systems doing exactly what you'd expect them to do over monotonous long stretches of highway driving is great to hear. That was a major driver (pun intended!) of my purchase decision.
Note that I did my highway miles on Navigate on Autopilot (NoA), which is part of Advanced Autopilot. The Full Self Driving (FSD) stuff that replaces it is currently (and slowly) making its way out to owners enrolled in the FSD beta program. I wanted to do my trip on NoA because the FSD replacement was an unknown that I didn't want to deal with for 4400 miles. The FSD replacement is said to have some good points and bad points about it. The good point that jumps to mind is that it changes lanes much more naturally than NoA. One bad point is that it apparently doesn't have a mode where it asks for confirmation to change lanes. Perhaps that's only temporary.

In fairness to other manufacturers, lane keeping and adaptive cruise control are becoming standard features. Here are the best performing ones according to a Kelley Blue Book page I found
  1. Genesis
  2. Tesla
  3. Kia
  4. Hyundai
  5. Jaguar
  6. Mercedes-Benz
What the other systems lack is the automatic lane changing. Tesla's Basic Autopilot doesn't have it, but Advanced Autopilot does as part of the whole Navigate on Autopilot system which takes you from on ramp to off ramp automatically. But even Basic Autopilot with its lane keeping and adaptive cruise control is a huge win for road trips. They just need to figure out where to let drivers put their right foot...

8. The trip planner in the car doesn't show time zone changes on your route. The times are always expressed in the local time zone, so they only update once you cross into the next time zone.
That one bit me too on a recent trip. I expect to see ETAs stated in waypoint/destination zone through the entire trip. At any given point I'm telling someone my ETA, I might not know what zone I'm in, can't really do the math, don't even know that I'd need to.

And when navigation shows the duration, remaining time, it's fine/expected if that's counted as a stopwatch would count it. (I think it does this correctly.)

Reactions: JB47394
6 lbs from cold garage to hot pavement doing 70mph is not pretty typical. At least in New England where it might be mid 40’s at night and hit 90’s the next day. And the black top will be much hotter than 90F and friction from tires raise it more.

6 lbs from cold garage to hot pavement doing 70mph is not pretty typical. At least in New England where it might be mid 40’s at night and hit 90’s the next day. And the black top will be much hotter than 90F and friction from tires raise it more.
I assume that the "is not pretty typical" was a mishmash of "is not surprising" and "is pretty typical" :)

I can easily see a 5-6 lb diff between cold in the garage and 70+ highway speeds within about 30-45 minutes..is that bad?

The trip supercharger fill up planner is very odd. Now that there are a bunch of choices between Dallas and Austin is feels like it always picks the worst one. Usually charging up too early while the car has too much juice to charge fast.

I find that using "add stop" and then selecting charging options lets me add a better SpC and then readjusts the path. It's not too hard because the add a stop screen shows your current route & the supercharger stops on the map.

The selection doesn't seam to be based on crowds either. Maybe how much Tesla can make on electricity?

8. The trip planner in the car doesn't show time zone changes on your route. The times are always expressed in the local time zone, so they only update once you cross into the next time zone.
Yes, Tesla's time displays use one and only one time zone at a time, supposedly the zone of the current location of the car as measured by GPS. But it doesn't indicate which zone it thinks it's in, so if you're near a boundary you need another time source, such as a wrist watch whose zone is known, to tell which zone the displayed time applies to. On a trip from Chicago to Indianapolis, there was a sign along the highway indicating the time zone boundary, but the car didn't update to Eastern for another few miles.

I'd prefer to set the time zone manually (It's the micromanager in me.) and have the car do the Daylight/Standard change automatically. That's the way all my computers work, but it's not going to happen on a Tesla.

12. My right foot hurt. The normal position for the right leg is mostly-outstretched with the foot on the accelerator pedal. When I have NoA running, I get my foot away from the pedals. But there's nowhere comfortable to rest my foot and position my leg for 4400 miles of driving.
I find bending my right knee and bringing my right heel near the front left of the seat works for me. YMMV

I find bending my right knee and bringing my right heel near the front left of the seat works for me. YMMV
I appreciate the suggestion, but after 4400 miles, I feel confident that I tried everything possible. The problem for me is that all the positions are strongly to the left, resulting in stress on the right side of the leg. My right ankle has been rolled a couple times as well, and I'm sure that doesn't help.

1) Tire pressure is correctly measured when the tire is COLD. When the tire warms up, the pressure is supposed to go up. So setting a hot tire to 42 PSI means that it will be too low once it cools down.

20) You get used to it. It's an automatic thing for me now.