Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Long Range died overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Car parked and charged to 80% overnight
2. Normal start up, preparing to drive, error showed up saying rear motor error and only front motor has power, speed limited to 68MPH.
3. Put car in reverse, stepped on accelerator, heard a loud pop sound coming from rear
4. HVP_w028, BMS_a059, VCFRONT_a192 and VCFRONT_a191 popped up on screen.
5. Car is dead
6. Contacted Tesla Road side assistance
7. Tesla road side dispatched a tow truck
8. Tow truck arrived one hour after initial road side assistance contact
6. Car is now towed to Springfield NJ location

Not sure how long this is going to take for Tesla SC to fix, I'm likely going to get either a loaner or just Uber Credits.

Anyone had similar experience?

Attachments

• PXL_20221211_152434721.jpg
    PXL_20221211_152434721.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 343
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and KenC
That pop is likely the pyro fuse blowing -- that fuse isolates the high voltage battery from the rest of the car for safety. Wouldn't be surprised if you saw a little puff of smoke - harmless, but a result of the fuse.

Springfield is one of the best service centers in the country; you should be back up and rolling quickly. Unfortunately, today being Sunday, they are closed (by NJ state law) - so I'd expect to hear something from them tomorrow.

Unfortunately faults do happen (nothing's perfect) -- but the car is designed to isolate the battery and keep it safe with pretty much any high voltage fault. It's a good failsafe, but still annoying.

Keep us posted, please. And if you need anything send me a PM here. I'm not far from Springfield; happy to provide a ride or whatever.

All machines need maintenance. Complex items like automobiles will all, from time to time, need maintenance. EVs generally need less maintenance that ICE.
To be fair, this is not maintenance. Maintenance is things like adding wiper fluid, replacing cabin air filter, and replacing worn out brake pads - expected things. This is a repair of something that is not supposed to happen.

As some have written, the pop was the pyrotechnic fuse. Any number of electrical issues could've caused it. In my case, the rear drive power inverter shorted out. Took about 5 days to fix. Electrical gremlins can happen and no one ever knows why.
Depending on what your problem ends up being, this might be a good time to have them inspect & replace the 12 volt battery. When they get old, all manner of odd things can happen. And in any event, it's one of the few preventive maintenance items that makes sense for these cars.

Reactions: freeAgent
Update - Car was fixed.

Items replaced was Inverter - Rear Drive Unit, and pyrotechnic Battery Disconnect. Took less than 2 days to fix, which is amazing. That was the good part.

The bad part, there's a slow leak on one of the tires for couple weeks now. I was going to get a local tire shop to fix the leak. When the car broke down with the problem described here, I thought to myself, might as well patch the tire at SC since it's already there. Bad idea, Springfield SC service said the tire can not be fixed and has to be replaced.

I was HIGHLY skeptical of this. Had a similar experience three years ago with my old model 3, same scenario, Springfield NJ SC said car can't be patched, Mr tire nearby patched it up for a fraction of the cost to replace the tire. No issue with tire patch job. This was three years ago.

Not going to drag on the details, back and forth, lengthy delays and it was finally resolved with management involvement. (I simply asked, if I had requested a road side assistance with a flat tire, would I be getting a loaner wheel?). I got a loaner wheel, had the tire patch up by local tire shop, returned the loaner wheel within an hour.

Posting this after 3 days of tire patching to make sure the patch job holds. So far tire pressure seems to be holding on just fine.

To sum it up, Tesla service is very responsive, repair time is getting much better, I was expecting a week. Tesla tire repair, that's a different discussion.

That’s great news! Given how busy Springfield in particular is, quick repairs are great to see. I feel very lucky to live between Springfield and Paramus, although IMO the best service center in the country is just over the Delaware Memorial Bridge in Wilmington DE.

As for tires, that’s not uncommon - not just with Tesla, but many shops. The liability around patching/plugging a tire leaves a lot of technicians very conservative when it comes to whether the tire is/isn’t repairable. Do you know where on the tire the plug was done?

But glad the issue was corrected, quickly, without fuss. That’s really great news.

Reactions: hlin07
I'm sorry for the problem and it does seem to be rare. I'm glad your report of the service was good since Springfield is where I got mine 3 years ago and where I would go for service. I've had several tire problems, but the ones they had to replace seemed likely to have needed replacement. Our NJ roads are not always in good shape.

Not here to demonize springfield SC, as dmurphy mentioned, it's likely a shop policy for risk management. Sharing the picture of tire puncture for reference, note that the nail/metal object was taken out and reinserted so it looks worse than what it really is.

Again, this is just a reference, a tiny sample of tire punctures that Tesla SC may potentially refuse to fix.

In general, if you have a flat tire, it's better to take it to a local tire repair shop (bring the pucks). Not only is it cheaper than Tesla SC, it's also heck a lot faster. If you have a flat while driving, get tesla roadside via the App, they'll at least provide a temporary loaner wheel free of charge for 48 hrs (assuming it's in stock). Bring the tire to a local tire shop to repair and then return the loaner to the SC.

Attachments

• PXL_20221215_144336218.jpg
    PXL_20221215_144336218.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 92
Not here to demonize springfield SC, as dmurphy mentioned, it's likely a shop policy for risk management. Sharing the picture of tire puncture for reference, note that the nail/metal object was taken out and reinserted so it looks worse than what it really is.

Again, this is just a reference, a tiny sample of tire punctures that Tesla SC may potentially refuse to fix.

In general, if you have a flat tire, it's better to take it to a local tire repair shop (bring the pucks). Not only is it cheaper than Tesla SC, it's also heck a lot faster. If you have a flat while driving, get tesla roadside via the App, they'll at least provide a temporary loaner wheel free of charge for 48 hrs (assuming it's in stock). Bring the tire to a local tire shop to repair and then return the loaner to the SC.
or spend 20 minutes and plug it yourself.