Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 LR.(Salvage vehicle) HV Battery contactors not closing due to crash event in VCfront

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually salvaged cars sat on auctions for long enough where the LV battery needs replacement. You can test by checking voltage between the small pin that is closest to the center of the battery and the negative battery terminal. If that voltage is below 9V then you need to replace the battery.
To be honest I think it was your video that showed me how to charge mine so I can't argue you with you lol

LI batteries once below a certain level the BMS shuts off and the battery is just stagnant. 3 months it should totally be fine to get charged up like you showed in your video. If your LI battery that's supposed to last the lifetime of the car won't take a charge its prob because the BMS was messed up on disassembly. Unlike lead acids batteries leaving them in the car doesn't drain them down since the BMS shuts off. Once the BMS is off there is 0 draw on the battery

This is my theory I don't claim any of this as a fact

To be honest I think it was your video that showed me how to charge mine so I can't argue you with you lol

LI batteries once below a certain level the BMS shuts off and the battery is just stagnant. 3 months it should totally be fine to get charged up like you showed in your video. If your LI battery that's supposed to last the lifetime of the car won't take a charge its prob because the BMS was messed up on disassembly. Unlike lead acids batteries leaving them in the car doesn't drain them down since the BMS shuts off. Once the BMS is off there is 0 draw on the battery

This is my theory I don't claim any of this as a fact
Unfortunately the BMS never shut off. It constantly balances the cells, which takes some power. These batteries go down to 3 volts in a few months. Trust me we would recharge them if we could.

Reactions: Asher Yatzar
Usually salvaged cars sat on auctions for long enough where the LV battery needs replacement. You can test by checking voltage between the small pin that is closest to the center of the battery and the negative battery terminal. If that voltage is below 9V then you need to replace the battery.

Unfortunately the BMS never shut off. It constantly balances the cells, which takes some power. These batteries go down to 3 volts in a few months. Trust me we would recharge them if we could.
Ah interesting. Mine sat for almost 3 months and tool a charge. Guess I got lucky!

Reactions: evrepair
Hello smart Tesla motors club folks,

I would be grateful if anyone can read/ comment on this post and help me fix this.

I have 22 Model 3 (Production date 01/22 & SW version 2022.28.2) with the new Li-Ion 12v battery design. Got the vehicle from auction with airbag deployed.

The M3 is about 90% fixed now. Also, performed the following:

1. Replaced blown Pyro fuse.
2. Airbag fixed & RCM reset - complete.
3. Bought new Li-Ion 12v battery - currently supported by a 12-16v supply source to prevent damaging LV Li-Ion battery.
4. Already have Toolbox 3 access.

Currently have the following faults:

VCFRONT_a191 Electrical system power reduced
VCFRONT_a192 Electrical system is unable to support all features
VCFRONT_a478 Schedule Service – Vehicle may not restart
VCFRONT_a402 Electrical system backup power is unavailable - Vehicle will consume more energy while idle
HV Battery contactors not closing. Sometimes they close but they open after a bit of time.

I am experienced person who likes to work on electronics/ Tesla diagnoses. As we know, the 22 M3 and MY with new 12v Li-Ion design have a technology where if the car gets in a accident/ airbag deploys, the VCfront will receive a crash event on the memory. We also know that on newer SW/Firmware vehicles, a clear post crash load can be initiated from service mode or Toolbox 3 and those faults above might go away (assuming you have new 12v Li-Ion battery), and HV battery contactors will close.

I tried to update the car to SW 2023.2.10 so I can get the Clear post crash load option on the new firmware; SW download stops at 75%. Why? Any reasoning? I tried doing it again and again 5 times, but it would always stops at 75% download (not even installing yet), See picture. I need your help so I can perform clear crash load after. Maybe help me in how to update VCfront to the new SW/FW?

I know there is a thread named: Salvage 2022 Model Y LR. High Voltage Battery contactors not closing. Car has the new Li-Ion 12v battery. I read all the comments.
Note: I know I can buy a new VCfront, just deploy SW and fix it that way. The point of this post is to collaborate together to come up with new ideas/ way to install a newer FW/SW on a VCfront with crash event. There has to be a way. I can even take the VCfront out of the vehicle and connect it to a laptop, just need your help in a method to deploy SW on it.
I appreciate your sharing

I have an accident Model 3 from 12/2022 (MIC Model) that has since been repaired. I also got the error VCFRONT_a547 postCrashLoadShed and can't get into service mode.
My software is 2023.6.9
I've tried downloading a software update, it always ends at 75%.
If I buy a 1-day toolbox subscription, I can
VCFRONT_a547 postCrashLoadShed
then reset from the toolbox or let the software reload?
Is this the reset command straight from the toolbox?
(PROC_VCFRONT_X.CLEAR-POST-CRASH-LOADSHEDDING)
How do I reload the Toolbox software?

I have an accident Model 3 from 12/2022 (MIC Model) that has since been repaired. I also got the error VCFRONT_a547 postCrashLoadShed and can't get into service mode.
My software is 2023.6.9
Use toolbox to enter service mode+ then click clear crash load shed.

My software is 2023.6.9
Yes.

That means I connect the laptop to the vehicle with the diagnostic cable and then book my online toolbox session? Or start the toolbox session first and then connect the car to the laptop?
This is my first time working with it, so sorry for any stupid questions.

That means I connect the laptop to the vehicle with the diagnostic cable and then book my online toolbox session? Or start the toolbox session first and then connect the car to the laptop?
This is my first time working with it, so sorry for any stupid questions.
Log into toolbox, then u gotta change the network adapter on your pc to have a ip address of 192.160.90.124, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. then plug ur cable into the car and pc and hit connect. If you got any questions, just hit me up, I have worked with toolbox extensively.

There is news, unfortunately also a bigger problem.
Since I have almost no internet connection at the location of the car, I have now bought and installed a whole new VCFRONT. So my load shedding is gone, I went into service mode and was able to do a software reset.
The car runs again, but since I had to replace the super manifold (the plastic manifold had a crack from the accident), I have a thermal problem, the computer is not cooled enough and the monitor goes black in service mode and I can feel that the water pumps are dry run. 2 are already defective....
The reservoir is full, nothing happens even if I go to system flush mode.
Could it be the octovalve? The Supermanifold was unfortunately not a new one.

I also have a similar problem, but I managed to update the firmware, and now I can just clear the vcfront error in service mode, but the hv contactor tries to close, but does not close, and after that I get the error PCS_a043_hvBusPrechargeFailure. Maybe you have put it in, and there is still one remaining error related to the compressor. VCfront_a160_Compressorinhibited. But I think that error is also due to the fact that the hv contactor does not close.Maybe you have an idea how to solve this problem.

Attachments

• IMG20240404183936.jpg
    IMG20240404183936.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG20240404183106.jpg
    IMG20240404183106.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20240404183527.jpg
    IMG20240404183527.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG20240404182956.jpg
    IMG20240404182956.jpg