Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Performance Turtle Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turtle Mode Issue: I see Model Y posts about Turtle Mode, but has anyone else had Turtle Mode pop up on their Model 3? And, if so, what happened? How old was your car when it happened? Did you go to the shop to have your car checked?

Back story: Basically, I’ve had Turtle Mode pop up 4 times since I picked up my 2022 Model 3P on Feb 5th. The first time it happened I could barely get my car to move before I was to a place I could get out and back in to “reset” it. The 2nd-4th times I was able to drive, but the warning stayed on the screen even after getting out and back in. I took it to the shop where they tried to replicate it, but couldn’t. The warning happened again last week. I immediately set up a service appt. However, the shop did a remote diagnostic instead (which is whatever). Today they messaged me and said it is a “firmware issue” and that a resolution should be pushed out with an update, but no idea when. Again, Turtle Mode can limit how fast your car can get up to speed (I literally was crawling up a small hill to get to my house), so this is concerning to me. I’m 2 months into my first Tesla and feeling disheartened. :(

Attachments

• 043D4A1C-B488-47A1-B568-7820CDEE8017.jpeg
    043D4A1C-B488-47A1-B568-7820CDEE8017.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 502
  • Informative
Reactions: SlimJim
I’m 2 months into my first Tesla and feeling disheartened.

Sorry for goofing about turtles. I wasn't trying to make light of your situation, and hope it works out well.

I'm surprised about the firmware as a resolution response. Would've expected a poor connection with some wiring or something. I do feel pretty strongly that they'll resolve it to your satisfaction.

I'd probably tell them that I feel unsafe driving it and ask them for more details.

What is the state of charge when this happens, or does it not matter? I've not seen turtle mode on my 2021 LR. I'd be surprised if it was firmware related but I guess Tesla knows best. One thing you can do if it happens again is when it happens, press the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel and say "bug report". Write down the date and time of the bug report. Then if you take it to a service center, ask them to check the bug report saved on <whatever date/time>.

Mike

Sorry for goofing about turtles. I wasn't trying to make light of your situation, and hope it works out well.

I'm surprised about the firmware as a resolution response. Would've expected a poor connection with some wiring or something. I do feel pretty strongly that they'll resolve it to your satisfaction.

I'd probably tell them that I feel unsafe driving it and ask them for more details.
I did tell the service department that the warning is ruining my Tesla experience. I was so excited to have a Tesla. I had fun showing it off to my friends and co-workers. Now I wonder what warning I’ll get when I get in each time.

What is the state of charge when this happens, or does it not matter? I've not seen turtle mode on my 2021 LR. I'd be surprised if it was firmware related but I guess Tesla knows best. One thing you can do if it happens again is when it happens, press the right scroll wheel on the steering wheel and say "bug report". Write down the date and time of the bug report. Then if you take it to a service center, ask them to check the bug report saved on <whatever date/time>.

Mike
The first time it happened was March 21st. The car had a 70%ish charge. The next two times I was at an almost 100% charge cause it was the morning I was driving it to the SC that’s 1.5 hours away from where I live. So I had fully charged the car the night before. The fourth time I think I was at like 80%. It was in the afternoon last week. Each time it says the front motor is temporarily disabled. I’ve been taking pics of the warning and the notification listing. I even send the pics to the SC. I’m doing all I can to help them pinpoint the issue.

I think if that was happening to me, the next time it happens I'd do the bug report voice command and then take it to a service center. If you're having some sort of issue with the motor or front inverter, it might get reported in the data log saved by the bug report and they could see it in the bug report.

Mike

I think if that was happening to me, the next time it happens I'd do the bug report voice command and then take it to a service center. If you're having some sort of issue with the motor or front inverter, it might get reported in the data log saved by the bug report and they could see it in the bug report.

Mike
I’ll add that to my list of things I do when the warning pops up. I’m 1.5 hrs drive from the nearest SC which is why I immediately open a service call when the warning pops up. I just don’t want this “firmware issue” to strand me on the side of the road.

The first time it happened was March 21st. The car had a 70%ish charge. The next two times I was at an almost 100% charge cause it was the morning I was driving it to the SC that’s 1.5 hours away from where I live. So I had fully charged the car the night before. The fourth time I think I was at like 80%. It was in the afternoon last week. Each time it says the front motor is temporarily disabled. I’ve been taking pics of the warning and the notification listing. I even send the pics to the SC. I’m doing all I can to help them pinpoint the issue.
I have a 2020 SR+ and just experienced this a couple nights ago. Got the turtle icon and a black screen. Once I rebooted, the turtle went bye bye but then my driver door window was no longer auto up/down even though other windows were. This morning, presto, driver window is now auto up/down. Had about 50% soc when this all happened and it garaged. I’ll do a big report next time

I am seeing 'Turtle Mode' with my 2020 3P all the time now for the past 3 days and it's killing me (driving Uber). Same thing happened last year and it magically disappeared after a week. Tesla seems to have a big issue on their hands. Can you say, class action?