Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Performance vs 2021 Model Y LR from a roll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my buddy and I decided to race our two Teslas from a roll starting at 45 or 50mph. For most of the races, I was around 80-85% while he was at around 50-55%. I being in the faster vehicle thought I would crush him, but was amazed that he managed to stay in the race and took me quite a while to get away from him. At first, I thought he could possibly have the acceleration boost, but he doesn't. Is there a reason for this especially since his car could have performed better with a higher state of charge?

• The power difference after the initial launch is zero or nearly so
  • The LR comes with lower rolling resistance tires (this is a non trivial thing, fyi)
  • The LR comes with more aero, lighter wheels/tires
  • Your performance does have the spoiler, which supposedly reduces drag a tiny bit, probably less than the wheels

Reactions: tm1v2
IMO the Model Y is noticeably faster at higher speeds compared to the Model 3. I think this is because the overall diameter of the tires is larger, shifting the power curve to the "right". E.g. at 80mph the MY drive unit is at lower RPM and when you look at the horsepower curve would have more power.

Also, as others noted, the majority of the power advantage to the Performance models is under 60mph. Thereafter not much/any difference.

Reactions: Sam1 and tm1v2
Interesting, do we know that the model Y as the same gearing? Would make sense to just save on parts count.
They are most definitely the same.

Be careful saying it out loud on this forum. Certain individuals get very defensive when they hear that the LR and P are so close to each other from a roll.
I mean, it depends on what speed you are referencing. From 20mph, the Performance has a clear advantage. From 60mph, not so much. The motors are exactly the same other than the inverter, and that only started being different in ~2019.

That being said, until (if) the Performance gets a completely different motor (like the Plaid vs LR) I would not expect anything to change. They are both very impressive trims and faster than any other EV in the price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best kept secret is the P models just basically are the same as the non-P models at higher speeds and that the 3/Y are very similar above about 30-40 miles. Every notice how the 1/4 mile trap speeds are almost the same whether 3/Y/P/LR. They usually all hit about 113-114 mph with an occasional outlier.

I also found my MY LR with boost will trounce the Mustang MachE GT easily at pretty much any speed over 30 mph. Most likely a non-boosted MY LR would have taken him as well.

Reactions: Krobbler and tm1v2
That being said, until (if) the Performance gets a completely different motor (like the Plaid vs LR) I would not expect anything to change. They are both very impressive trims and faster than any other EV in the price range.
Of course we're all assuming without knowing for sure, but I thought battery pack output is the existing bottleneck? How much so? That's the question no one seems to really know. So it could be we're sitting on a 600hp+ set of motors, with a battery pack that just can't provide the fuel to them.

Reactions: Krobbler
Of course we're all assuming without knowing for sure, but I thought battery pack output is the existing bottleneck? How much so? That's the question no one seems to really know. So it could be we're sitting on a 600hp+ set of motors, with a battery pack that just can't provide the fuel to them.
Well, the inverters are still hard limited, so it's not just as simple as providing more current from the battery pack. I'm sure the motors and battery could output a lot more power for a short period of time if you provided the hardware and software to allow it, but obviously reliability and lifespan would drop.

I mean I can tell you with certainty that the current limits on track are due to numerous battery hardware overheating, so again, a short burst would probably be fine but any sort of sustained increase in power would be impossible. I think we're not going to see any big changes until the next gen hardware comes out which presumably is the 4680 battery. I have to imagine that will have massive thermal overhead like we're seeing with the Plaid. So, pair it with some improved drive units and I wouldn't be surprised if the 4680 Performance 3/Y see big jumps in power.

Best kept secret is the P models just basically are the same as the non-P models at higher speeds and that the 3/Y are very similar above about 30-40 miles. Every notice how the 1/4 mile trap speeds are almost the same whether 3/Y/P/LR. They usually all hit about 113-114 mph with an occasional outlier.

I also found my MY LR with boost will trounce the Mustang MachE GT easily at pretty much any speed over 30 mph. Most likely a non-boosted MY LR would have taken him as well.
My 21p is dead consistent with 117mph traps.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_144115.jpg
    IMG_20210808_144115.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 162