Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 - Rear Left Damage - Hit and Run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 11-month old Model 3 with 5k miles was hit by a Jeep Compass who was backing out of his spot in the parking lot. The driver did not leave his information and drove off before I could get to the scene. Fortunately, Sentry mode captured everything and I could get his license plate. I called the cops, showed them the video and gave them his license plate. I'm still waiting for the report. Hopefully, they'll include his information on the report.

Damage is to the rear left quarter panel - just below the charging port, and to the rear bumper.

Although, the damage is minor compared to what I've seen on this forum, since this is my first accident, I wanted to post and get advice on a few things.
  • How much would the repair cost approximately?
  • Should I go with a Tesla certified repair shop, or Tesla Service center. I live in Alabama, so, I would need to go to Atlanta/Nashville if I decide to go with Tesla.
  • Should I let my insurance deal with the other party, or should I file a third-party claim with the driver's insurance. My insurance company said that if I decide to file a third-party claim, I have to do it myself.
  • Since this was a hit-and-run, will the Police report include the driver's information from the license plate I provided them? If not, how do I get it? I could just get the VIN from public records, not the Owner's name/address.
  • Should I file a Diminished Value claim? Will my insurance do it, or do I have to get a lawyer?
I know the damage is not much, but this is my first time dealing with an accident and insurance claim. Any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_4716.jpg

1676997128719.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4715.jpg
    IMG_4715.jpg
    857 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4717.jpg
    IMG_4717.jpg
    756.4 KB · Views: 42
Turn it into your carrier and provide them all the information. They will subrogate the claim to his/her carrier or to him/her personally if he/she doesn't have insurance. You will have to pay your deductible depending on your policy but the carrier will also look to recoup that for you and reimburse. BTW, that's effing bs and I wish there was more of a penalty for aholes.

Turn it into your carrier and provide them all the information. They will subrogate the claim to his/her carrier or to him/her personally if he/she doesn't have insurance. You will have to pay your deductible depending on your policy but the carrier will also look to recoup that for you and reimburse. BTW, that's effing bs and I wish there was more of a penalty for aholes.
Before you do this, I would find out if your insurance carrier may raise your rates based on a no-fault report. Some states bar companies from doing this, but others don't.
If you find out that your rates may go up, then I would A) immediately shop for another insurance company and be blunt to your current company when you call to cancel, and B) try to get the other driver's insurance company from the police report and contact them yourself to file a claim.

Reactions: delayed_car