Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 RWD LFP observations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only driven 420 miles since new over almost 4 weeks but the average power use (as per graph app in car) consistently shows an average of 230-250Wh/mile. So is it fair to say that this is roughly 4 mile per KWh and I think the LFP battery has 60KWh useable - so a max range of 240 miles given the way I drive? I have done a few short (3-4 mile) stretches on dual carriageway at 70ish and the graph heads up towards 500Wh/mile when I do that, but those stints would be factored into my average. Not many 70mph limits where I live anyway.

Also, out of interest, do the M3 RWD LFP batteries use the 2170 cells or are these pouch cells? I can't seem to find anything authoritative about this. TIA

Reactions: Ricecooker
Your wh/mile will vary with temperature. The colder the temperature the higher the wh/mile.

Also the shorter the journey the higher the wh/mile as it has to heat up (or cool down) the cabin. And that takes more in the begining.

The faster you travel the higher the wh/mile.

The wh/mile can go between <300 (winter to >200 (summer).

The car only records wh/mile when in "drive" and not what is used when preconditioning, etc.

The cells are primastic (in a box like structure like blade batteries).

Upvote 0
60kwh gross - seems about 55kwh usable

Simple math will get you an estimate - like you say 4 miles per kWh even if you’re driving partly at 70 as long as you don’t have a heavy right foot should be ok. But Be careful multiplying that by 55 to get range - eg 220 miles (4x55).

that works if you do all those miles in one go as an estimate, but not stop start. You wouldn’t get 22 trips of 10 miles each from the battery for example. Normally doesn’t matter because with short trips you are hopefully back home in between so you can top up but that can be something to factor in if you are relying on public charging

Reactions: Terry F
Upvote 0

Simple math will get you an estimate - like you say 4 miles per kWh even if you’re driving partly at 70 as long as you don’t have a heavy right foot should be ok. But Be careful multiplying that by 55 to get range - eg 220 miles (4x55).

that works if you do all those miles in one go as an estimate, but not stop start. You wouldn’t get 22 trips of 10 miles each from the battery for example. Normally doesn’t matter because with short trips you are hopefully back home in between so you can top up but that can be something to factor in if you are relying on public charging

Seems to be 60kWh usable, just got out second Tesla Module 3 2022 LFP and after 4 charging sessions, below is what Tessie thinks the capacity is.

1649155058399.png

Upvote 0
I have done a few 70 mile mostly motorway journeys since picking mine up last month. Sticking as close to 70 mph as traffic will allow I was getting 210-220 wh/mile. Around the city with some short 70 mph stints was under 200 wh/mile in the warmer weather a couple of weeks back, now about 240 wh/mile on the same journey in colder weather.

Upvote 0
I have done a few 70 mile mostly motorway journeys since picking mine up last month. Sticking as close to 70 mph as traffic will allow I was getting 210-220 wh/mile. Around the city with some short 70 mph stints was under 200 wh/mile in the warmer weather a couple of weeks back, now about 240 wh/mile on the same journey in colder weather.

Yes in this warmer weather, I’ve been getting around 210-220wh/mile at 70mph

Upvote 0

I think the gross is around 62.3kWh, with a usable of around 58.5kWh according to Bjorn

Upvote 0
When I look on Autotrader, even the '21 models are listed @244. Any idea why?

View attachment 803732
No, not a clue!

It's listed on my V5 as 208kW, which is 283bhp, and is exactly as I expected, having read loads of various forum posts before mine was delivered in March.

The 8th VIN letter determines the motor type, in my case this is S, which is the newer hairpin type motor.

Last years SR+ model used the rear performance motor which was 239kw (320bhp).

There was a slightly "fuzzy" period towards the end of the year, (as there generally is when Tesla change stuff), and a few people were lucky enough to get the performance motor on a new spec car, they were termed "Unicorns" 😂

Upvote 0
No, not a clue!

It's listed on my V5 as 208kW, which is 283bhp, and is exactly as I expected, having read loads of various forum posts before mine was delivered in March.

The 8th VIN letter determines the motor type, in my case this is S, which is the newer hairpin type motor.

Last years SR+ model used the rear performance motor which was 239kw (320bhp).

There was a slightly "fuzzy" period towards the end of the year, (as there generally is when Tesla change stuff), and a few people were lucky enough to get the performance motor on a new spec car, they were termed "Unicorns" 😂
Mine isn't an S, so hopefully it's a unicorn. Still yet to prove it by the 0-60 time.

Upvote 0
I've had my Model 3 RWD LFP since December, currently at over 11,000 miles and an average of 240wh/mile across that!
I don't hesitate to use the full acceleration whenever the opportunies arise and I still get pretty good wh/mile.

I did a 1,200 mile roadtrip up to Scotland with 4 other people in the car and all our camping gear and I averaged 242wh/mile over the whole trip. I even managed under 200wh/mile for some of it which was surprising!

Upvote 0