Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 model 3 rwd wall charger question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bilk

May 15, 2022
ON
HI, new here!

I test drove a 2022 model 3 rwd, love it, were are going to do 24hr test drive option next week. But....

The lady at tesla said the model rwd(base model) is waste to buy the wall connector ($510) for it, as it wont charge any faster. Just to buy the mobile charger. ($255)
Sorry if this is not the section to ask, but I have not seen anyone mention it anywhere. I'm able to hook up a 220v charger in my garage, just curious if she is right or not.

Thanks,

She is right. The RWD Model S has a 32 amp onboard charger. Either the mobile connector or the wall connector will provide exactly the same power/charge rate - 32 amps at 240 volts.

That said, if you are running a completely new circuit, you will find the cost difference narrows significantly between the wall connector and a 240v outlet after accounting for materials. These days it kinda makes sense to buy the wall connector.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
She is right. The RWD Model S has a 32 amp onboard charger. Either the mobile connector or the wall connector will provide exactly the same power/charge rate - 32 amps at 240 volts.

That said, if you are running a completely new circuit, you will find the cost difference narrows significantly between the wall connector and a 240v outlet after accounting for materials. These days it kinda makes sense to buy the wall connector.
how slow would it charge, sorry I forgot to ask her the rate per hour it would. It's my last question.lol But thank you for the fast reply.

how slow would it charge, sorry I forgot to ask her the rate per hour it would. It's my last question.lol But thank you for the fast reply.
32 amps at 240 volts is ~7.6 kw. That’s approximately 30 range miles per hour of charging for a Model 3.

• Informative
I see you are in Canada which generally has very strict codes for installing an EV charger. The caveat is you may be required to buy an expensive GFCI breaker ($100+ USD) for the mobile connector as it is not hard wired and using an outlet. Don't forget you'll need a high quality, industrial grade 14-50 outlet which is around $50-$100 USD as well. The wall charger may end up being cheaper or even due to this.

From what you guys have told me, I will get get both. She also said the mobile charger would be only get 14 mile range per hour. If I can get close to 30 like Ucmndd said, I would rather that.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Reactions: BillRadio
From what you guys have told me, I will get get both. She also said the mobile charger would be only get 14 mile range per hour. If I can get close to 30 like Ucmndd said, I would rather that.

Thanks for the help guys!!
This would be true if you are powering the mobile connector from something like a properly provisioned 6-20 outlet (240V 20A). That same mobile connector running off of a 14-50 outlet (240V 40A breaker) will give you around the 30MPH quoted above.

• Informative
As a practical matter, both the wall connector and mobile connector will give the same 32A charging speed for a RWD that can do up to 32A, if installed on a 40A circuit.

Assuming that you are buying new and installing a new circuit, the wall connector does have a higher price, but not needing a GFCI breaker and outlet for the circuit means that the overall cost will be only slightly higher.

The wall connector will give some additional features. You can also choose a circuit up to 60A (although probably at a higher cost for wiring) if you anticipate getting another Tesla later that is capable of 48A charging. The mobile connector can be unplugged and taken on an occasional road trip if you anticipate needing to charge at RV parks, etc., although it is not recommended to plug and unplug frequently.