Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 SR @ $47 worth it??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Practical advice needed. Situation: we need to get another vehicle for my wife and considering M3 SR as her daily driver. Her commute is about 20 miles roundtrip. I already own the Refresh S which has plenty of cargo, so don't need a SUV. We been shopping around on pre-owned Audi, Lexus, Benz etc... with low miles, sub 40k. However I keep going back to the M3 SR, (the LR out of our budget due to the recent S acquisition). So the question is...should we stick out the wait time and get the M3SR? Or get a pre-owned ICE/hybrid vehicle at a lower cost now?
Thank you in advance-:)

I put a M3 RWD on order knowing it was going to be a long wait. Projected Oct-Nov. I'm just driving my ICE a bit longer, no issues. I'm secretly hoping the car will turn into a 2023 by the time I pick it up and there will be some improvement. Or at the last minute switch to a LR.

Reactions: IndyGopher
M3 SR is a great commuter vehicle imo. I drove one for a weekend and it was plenty quick, more than enough range for long commutes, and quite comfortable suspension wise. It felt like a million bucks compared to our MYP, suspension comfort wise. Back to your question, if I could swing it I would wait for the SR and not buy an ICE car, and personally I hate hybrids.

Haha already did. The redeeming quality of her is that she doesn't really mind which vehicle as long as its good quality and 2020 or newer model year. Having said that, I already drank the Tesla kool-aid and will never go back to ICE vehicle. I guess I want the same for her.
Then yes! My wife and I were in the same situation. I typically drive more in a day, but when she might have to go up Norrh or South, she takes the M3P, other wise we fight over the SR because it has a smoother ride.

Reactions: Jolee777
Depends on how much the price and wait time for a Model 3 matter to you.

Another option would be a less expensive EV, new (e.g. Bolt, Niro, Kona, Leaf) or used.
If Price is the key and range is more than enough in the M3SR. Hertz bought a ton of M3SR's for the big cities/airports in the USA. Given most use them for around town, its appears to be working for them. The battery of the SR is said to be okay to charge to 90-100% all the time. Quite different than the 80% recommended - unless you are traveling on a long road trip.

The other options are less expensive, and have their pros and cons. But given a 40 mile or so daily R/T - most EV's can do that easily and charge every other night at home.

Choices.

Reactions: Jolee777
We have a MY LR and M3SR+ and I must say the M3 rides better and is more fun to drive. If I didn't need the utility of the Y I would drive the 3 for myself and give the Y to my wife. My wife loves the way the 3 drives compared to the Y (I have AB on the Y so straight line it's not even close but throw in some corners and it's clear which car is more fun overall. Excellent commuter car for her daily drive ( ~30 round trip) and great car for trips just limited due to the range vs the Y.