Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 SR+ fan noise coming from frunk.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The noise in the video above is caused by ice accumulation on the radiator (functioning as the evaporator) during the heating cycle. This can happen when ambient conditions are both cold and very humid. The ice accumulates over time and eventually makes slight contact with the fan, causing the clicking (for lack of a better term) sound heard in the video.

This is typical of heat pumps in these conditions. In home systems, a periodic defrost cycle will initiate to melt the ice from the evaporator. If Tesla determines that this is a concern, they can tweak the system's software (OTA update) to minimize the ice accumulation. Keep in mind this system is still pretty new, is not a conventional system, and it'll take time to get the software dialed in to account for all of the quirks and edge cases.

If you hear similar noises in warm weather, you should investigate further to make sure nothing (wiring, sticks, small animals) is making contact with the fan.

Took the car back on Thursday, Tesla couldn't replicate the fan noise so they blame it on something stuck by the fan. Service tech did try to turn AC and heat on and they work fine, so fingers crossed on nothing wrong.
As far as the rear defrost, the whole back window had to be replaced.
following up with my previous question as we both have the exact same clipping noise. My noise has gone away completely after driving a few hundred more miles. I had done nothing except scheduling a service appointment. I suspect the issue was simply road debris and it rattled itself out of the radiator fan.