Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 SR LFP Supercharging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at Bjorn Nyland's charging comparison video. I don't believe he got the LFP that high either so it's probably not just you:
Is this applicable to the 2022 vehicle? I am actually not sure which vehicle the OP is referring to…perhaps one of the SR+ vehicles produced in late 2021 with LFP battery of about 55kWh? Because isn’t there no SR+ for 2022? I’m sorry…it’s a bit confusing. In any case certainly no SR+ shows up for 2022 on the EPA site.

Anyway, the 2022 RWD has a ~60kWh LFP battery (degradation threshold was about 60.5kWh, FPWN is 60.5kWh, and available energy can exceed that:
MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc)
and if it’s limited to 170kW or less then it is probably being throttled for now. Presumably charging rates will be enhanced in the future once Tesla is comfortable with the pack. Maybe eventually it will be able to do 185kW? It should just scale up from max rates available on the 55.1kWh FPWN 2021 SR+ LFP.

There’s the 2021 SR+ 55.4kWh FPWN NCA (~53.5kWh degradation threshold)
late 2021 SR+ 55.1kWh FPWN LFP (threshold around 54.7kWh???)
2022 RWD 60.5kWh FPWN LFP (threshold also around 60.5kWh?)

Please correct any errors…

Thresholds are easy for owners to determine fairly accurately. FPWN and actual capacity when new require SMT.

Anyway, the max charge rate for a given battery type should just scale with capacity assuming it is just more cells in parallel, but will be subject to constraints Tesla decides to apply, which are quite common.

Is this applicable to the 2022 vehicle? I am actually not sure which vehicle the OP is referring to…perhaps one of the SR+ vehicles produced in late 2021 with LFP battery of about 55kWh? Because isn’t there no SR+ for 2022? I’m sorry…it’s a bit confusing. In any case certainly no SR+ shows up for 2022 on the EPA site.

Anyway, the 2022 RWD has a ~60kWh LFP battery (degradation threshold was about 60.5kWh, FPWN is 60.5kWh, and available energy can exceed that:
and if it’s limited to 170kW or less then it is probably being throttled for now. Presumably charging rates will be enhanced in the future once Tesla is comfortable with the pack. Maybe eventually it will be able to do 185kW? It should just scale up from max rates available on the 55.1kWh FPWN 2021 SR+ LFP.

Thresholds are easy for owners to determine fairly accurately. FPWN and actual capacity when new require SMT.

Anyway, the max charge rate for a given battery type should just scale with capacity assuming it is just more cells in parallel, but will be subject to constraints Tesla decides to apply, which are quite common.
I specifically said SR not SR+. It’s a 2022 LFP.

• Helpful
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Isn’t it false advertising to tell me I can pull 170 but can’t?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I specifically said SR not SR+. It’s a 2022 LFP.
That would be RWD. Right? 60kWh?

It’s a bit confusing because there were 55kWh SR+ in late 2021 with LFP, and also NCA SR+ for the rest of 2021. And then there are 2022, which is 60kWh, RWD.

SR would be a vehicle with software lock on battery capacity, last produced a couple years ago.
Isn’t it false advertising to tell me I can pull 170 but can’t?
Lol. You seem new here. Welcome! Patience!

Anyway, you should soon exceed 170kW if you have RWD. Probably. Don’t know when.

That would be RWD. Right? 60kWh?

It’s a bit confusing because there were 55kWh SR+ in late 2021 with LFP, and also NCA SR+ for the rest of 2021. And then there are 2022, which is 60kWh, RWD.

SR would be a vehicle with software lock on battery capacity, last produced a couple years ago.

Lol. You seem new here. Welcome! Patience!

Anyway, you should soon exceed 170kW if you have RWD. Probably. Don’t know when.
Do you mean they may offer OTA change to increase the charge speed?

Do you mean they may offer OTA change to increase the charge speed?
Yeah. It’s been done many many times before.

In the end I’d expect a 60kWh battery to charge faster than a 55kWh one. What those rates will be I do not know. But it would be about 185kW if the 55kWh does 170kWh (assuming it is more cells in parallel - if it’s due to cell modifications alone it might not scale the same way - I have not been tracking pack composition for LFPs so I do not know).

Stopped at a Supercharger recently. This had an A/B shared setup, but no one was in the other space.

2022 RWD 60kWh LFP battery
13% -> 52% (24 kWh) in 14 minutes (average 102 kW)

Obviously, this is lower than the peak possible speed that occurs only a low state of charge.

Stopped at a Supercharger recently. This had an A/B shared setup, but no one was in the other space.

2022 RWD 60kWh LFP battery
13% -> 52% (24 kWh) in 14 minutes (average 102 kW)

Obviously, this is lower than the peak possible speed that occurs only a low state of charge.
this is very slow...... basically 100 miles in 14 minutes..... You should've been pulling 170 for that entire time.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
well that person only got to 52% at the very top end. So they should've been pulling the max for much much longer. 14 minutes to add 100 miles is ridiculous.
That’s not the part of your comment I was responding to. I think I would agree that that is not the best average that is possible. There are plenty of plots here from @Zoomit with various ways to estimate optimal charging time, average charge rates, etc. And usually they can be just scaled to your battery capacity.

You can look at those plots to see where taper starts. Somewhere around 25-30%? (I don’t remember and I never pay attention when supercharging anymore.)

this is very slow...... basically 100 miles in 14 minutes..... You should've been pulling 170 for that entire time.
It is not too far off from expected charging speeds as listed for 2021 LFP battery Model 3 in MIC Tesla Model 3 SR+ Fast Charging Test Reveals Strong Results

img-tesla-model-3-sr-mic-lfp-2021-dcfc-power-matrix-20210618.png

Based on the above, charging 15% -> 50% would have an average rate of 117kW, so 102kW for 13% -> 52% is not too far off. There could be other variables like 100F ambient temperature. The specific SuperCharger is listed as 150 kW, so there is no way any car would pull 170 kW from it.

I experience the exact same as OP. Starts highs then gets low after 2 minutes or so. Brand new LFP 2022. Usually start charging around 40%

Lucky if I can stay above 100 kw for more than 5 minutes. After 60% charge seems to level off around 70 kw by 80% I am charging at 50 kw.

I have only supercharged a few times and seems to always be the case.

Reactions: AutoRocket
I experience the exact same as OP. Starts highs then gets low after 2 minutes or so. Brand new LFP 2022. Usually start charging around 40%

Lucky if I can stay above 100 kw for more than 5 minutes. After 60% charge seems to level off around 70 kw by 80% I am charging at 50 kw.

I have only supercharged a few times and seems to always be the case.
Taper is normal. Navigate to a v3 Supercharger for an hour (no less, be sure it is whining and preconditioning!), start charging at 10%, let us know how it goes. If you don’t start at a very high rate try a different stall. Recording multiple Rates and corresponding % or a video are helpful.

Staying above a certain charge rate isn’t determined by how long you have been plugged in, it is determined by your SOC %.