Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 SR LFP Supercharging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experience the exact same as OP. Starts highs then gets low after 2 minutes or so. Brand new LFP 2022. Usually start charging around 40%

Lucky if I can stay above 100 kw for more than 5 minutes. After 60% charge seems to level off around 70 kw by 80% I am charging at 50 kw.

I have only supercharged a few times and seems to always be the case.
I've also went from 273 max range to 268 since I got the car in December and drove it 7200 miles....

Brand new LFP 2022. Usually start charging around 40%
you will not see anywhere near 170kw at 40% SoC. Expected and normal.

Plenty of YouTube vids showing LFP model 3s hitting 160-170kw from about 2-20% charge, then tapering from there. About 100kw is the max you should expect at 40%.

An example:

Last edited:
I’m curious. Where does Tesla advertise the maximum DC fast charging speed of the various configurations of Model 3?
Bottom of this page.

@AutoRocket seems to be ignoring the “max” part of “170kw max” for his proposed false advertising lawsuit. ;)

At any rate, plenty of evidence that the cars DO achieve that max as advertised, under ideal preconditioned battery conditions with a very low (~10%) state of charge at a fully functional v3 supercharger station.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 8.58.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-04 at 8.58.11 PM.png
    368.8 KB · Views: 147
Bottom of this page.

@AutoRocket seems to be ignoring the “max” part of “170kw max” for his proposed false advertising lawsuit. ;)

At any rate, plenty of evidence that the cars DO achieve that max as advertised, under ideal preconditioned battery conditions with a very low (~10%) state of charge at a fully functional v3 supercharger station.
max ≠ unattainable....... which even under ideal conditions it hasn't hit.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
showing up to a SC under 10-20% range and pre-conditioned in 75 degrees I guess isn't ideal conditions in your head.
Without knowing actual specifics - not broad ranges and zero supporting details - it’s impossible to say if the conditions were ideal or not. You don’t seem keen on providing specific details or documentation of your experiences, so the best that can be done is to show you that others don’t have your problems.

Given that, your options are to deal with it, learn more and try again, or take it to Tesla. Which are you going to choose?

Without knowing actual specifics - not broad ranges and zero supporting details - it’s impossible to say if the conditions were ideal or not. You don’t seem keen on providing specific details or documentation of your experiences, so the best that can be done is to show you that others don’t have your problems.

Given that, your options are to deal with it, learn more and try again, or take it to Tesla. Which are you going to choose?
it's my job to provide you supporting details and documentation? get over yourself.

it's my job to provide you supporting details and documentation? get over yourself.
I mean if you’re posting on an automotive forum asking for help, then yes, it’s most certainly your job to provide supporting details and documentation such that others can answer your question.

If you’re just interested in whining, then I guess carry on, but you should know that’s not really the intended purpose of this place (though I can see how you’d be duped into believing so).

showing up to a SC under 10-20% range and pre-conditioned in 75 degrees I guess isn't ideal conditions in your head.
Drive continuously for an hour at freeway speeds, navigating to a mostly empty V3 supercharger (preconditioning and whining is mandatory) the whole time, at this time of year, and arrive at 10%. Report back what you see, grab some data (pictures showing SOC and charge rate during the charging event). Then hopefully we can identify if there is something wrong with your car.

Remember that for road trips (not in winter), which is the only time when Supercharging speed matters (Supercharging at other times is completely optional and not necessary for most owners), the conditions will usually be met for optimal charging (as long as you don’t attempt to charge first thing in the morning). It’s usually just a matter of finding a charge station which is in good shape, and with no sharing for V2 (can be challenging especially for V2).

Last edited:
Yes. Losing 1-2% of capacity in the first 6 months or so is completely normal, expected, and well documented at this point over 12 years and a million+ Te
Drive continuously for an hour at freeway speeds, navigating to a mostly empty V3 supercharger (preconditioning and whining is mandatory) the whole time, at this time of year, and arrive at 10%. Report back what you see, grab some data (pictures showing SOC and charge rate during the charging event). Then hopefully we can identify if there is something wrong with your car.

Remember that for road trips (not in winter), which is the only time when Supercharging speed matters (Supercharging at other times is completely optional and not necessary for most owners), the conditions will usually be met for optimal charging (as long as you don’t attempt to charge first thing in the morning). It’s usually just a matter of finding a charge station which is in good shape, and with no sharing for V2 (can be challenging especially for V2).
I did this.. that's why I made the post.

I did this.. that's why I made the post.
Can you provide some details on exactly what you did? I did not see those details. Can you post the pictures above (since you said you took them) so we can see what you are seeing?

Which Supercharger specifically?
How long did you pre-condition (not drive) for exactly?
How long did you drive for?
How many stalls did you try (of course you have to immediately move stalls if the charge rate does not ramp to your expectations)?
You arrived at 10% SOC?