Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 SR LFP Supercharging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you provide some details on exactly what you did? I did not see those details. Can you post the pictures above (since you said you took them) so we can see what you are seeing?

Which Supercharger specifically?
How long did you pre-condition (not drive) for exactly?
How long did you drive for?
How many stalls did you try (of course you have to immediately move stalls if the charge rate does not ramp to your expectations)?
You arrived at 10% SOC?
I don't owe you anything.

114 average isn't really acceptable if you're on a road trip. How long was peak held for?
I think your expectations are off. It sounds like you did not realize that peak speeds only apply for a short period of SOC when you bought your vehicle. Also note this was a charge to 69%, which is about as high as you will typically go on a road trip (though you do have to go a bit higher for RWD vs. larger batteries).

If you want faster charging speeds, consider moving to an LR vehicle.
I don't owe you anything.
I didn’t say you did! I just thought I would try to help out. If you don’t want the help, that’s fine of course, I am confident you will figure it out.

It seemed that one issue is that you’re not seeing the peak of 170kW. That is unexpected if the conditions are ideal.

The average of course will be much lower than 170kW.

114 average isn't really acceptable if you're on a road trip. How long was peak held for?
It’s more than acceptable for me… to be completely honest, I’ve more often felt it’s too quick I’mand I need to get going again before I’ve really had a decent break etc.

2 to 3 hours of driving then an 18 min break is fine by me.

02D242DD-8A6D-48E8-8048-D1605AA0D80F.png

Does it make a difference in charging speeds if you use a Super Changer over a Fast CCS charger?
Does it make a difference if using a V3 vs V2 Super Charger with a Model 3 RWD?
V2 you won’t get more than 150 kW, and may have to share power if busy.

Third party CCS chargers like Ionity should be able to charge as fast as the V3s - but, you also need to factor in the time it takes to activate it and the longer handshake etc.

Third party CCS chargers like Ionity should be able to charge as fast as the V3s - but, you also need to factor in the time it takes to activate it and the longer handshake etc.
I don't think any third party CCS chargers can supply 250kW to a Tesla. (The Tesla voltage is too low for the number of amps the CCS chargers are capable of.)

Some can provide ~200 kW, but in the end it isn't really much slower, unless you need a really short charge, since the ramp down takes longer.

Does it make a difference in charging speeds if you use a Super Changer over a Fast CCS charger?
Does it make a difference if using a V3 vs V2 Super Charger with a Model 3 RWD?
Third party CCS1 chargers vary in charging speeds from 24kW to 350kW. The slower ones (24kW, 50kW, 62.5kW) still seem to be reasonably common, so choose carefully if you want to use CCS1 charging (with adapter) and are concerned about charging speed.

There are also nuances about the voltage that the charger runs at when giving the claimed maximum power. If the voltage used for maximum power is higher than the car's voltage, then the maximum power for the specific car is lower.

A Model 3 RWD rolling in at 10-15% state-of-charge may see some difference between a V3 250kW SuperCharger and a V2 150kW SuperCharger. Perhaps even more of a difference if there is another car using the other plug of an A/B setup at a V2 SuperCharger. However, at higher state-of-charge when the car will charge at significantly lower than its 170kW maximum, it may not make a difference.

I just acquired a near new 2022 TM3 RWD and it charges extremely fast, My last supercharger session was at the Abbotsford BC 250kw SC station ;at 50% SOC it ramped up to 150kw at 51% and then 136 kw at 53%, 125kw at 55% and slowly declined to 98kw at 65%. IIRC, it was still above 90kw when I ended the session at 70%.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I stopped at a 250kw supercharger on the weekend. Arrived at 35% SOC and never went over 114 kw and for most of the charge was the 70-77 kw range
A model S pulled in and he didn't get much either, in fact at one of the charges he only was able to pull 17kw. So maybe the station was not up to par?

At 114kW, my guess is that your battery wasn't warm enough. It's getting cold in Quebec at night. A single motor car takes a while to heat up the battery. How long did you precondition before arrival? At 17kW it could also be a cold battery that was driven just a few miles in the morning and plugged without preconditioning... It could also be a faulty charger / cabinet. We don't know.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
At 114kW, my guess is that your battery wasn't warm enough. It's getting cold in Quebec at night. A single motor car takes a while to heat up the battery. How long did you precondition before arrival? At 17kW it could also be a cold battery that was driven just a few miles in the morning and plugged without preconditioning... It could also be a faulty charger / cabinet. We don't know.
I used that station in the navigation app.
It was preconditioning on and off almost all the way from the Plattsburgh

Reactions: GtiMart
So maybe the station was not up to par?
Not uncommon. I always wait for it to ramp to my expectation of the max (for me [2018 P] about 250kW below 30%, and a healthy ~150kW closer to 50%), before leaving the vehicle. I change stations frequently (less common at V3 for now though - they typically ramp fast and to the max - I basically avoid V2 if I can since they are awful and slow both to start and to charge).

Last edited:
Reactions: GtiMart
Wow... That seems even higher at that SOC than my LR AWD can take. I haven't seen higher than 116kW at 55% SOC on my car. I vaguely remember now that TeslaBjorn had done charging tests initially and he had re-done the tests because software changes had made things better?