Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 upgrades after placing order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for a Model 3 on October 16, 2021, when the range of the car was still under the 2021 specs. My current estimated delivery date is November 30, 2021 -> December 14 2021. I currently don't have a VIN number. Since I placed the order, the range has increased when ordering new Model 3's. Does anyone know if my car will made with the 2021 specs or the 2022 specs? I will be happy with the car either way, just curios on what to expect. Thanks!

I placed an order for a Model 3 on October 16, 2021, when the range of the car was still under the 2021 specs. My current estimated delivery date is November 30, 2021 -> December 14 2021. I currently don't have a VIN number. Since I placed the order, the range has increased when ordering new Model 3's. Does anyone know if my car will made with the 2021 specs or the 2022 specs? I will be happy with the car either way, just curios on what to expect. Thanks!

If you mean you ordered a model 3 (that used to be called an SR+), the thread here on that topic says that people are being told they will be getting the one with the longer range (and thats slower).

I should have stated, I ordered the Model 3 Long Range with 18' wheels. Based on that chart the range increase is small (353 vs 358). I don't recall what the rated range was when I ordered, but either way looks like it will be similar.

Thanks for replying! I'm looking forward to getting the Model 3. I previously had a Chevy Volt, but it got totaled in a car accident when someone hit me. I have been without a car for 2 months now, so looking forward to getting an all electric car.

I had something similar happen. The VIN indicates it is a 2022.

I should have stated, I ordered the Model 3 Long Range with 18' wheels. Based on that chart the range increase is small (353 vs 358). I don't recall what the rated range was when I ordered, but either way looks like it will be similar.

Thanks for replying! I'm looking forward to getting the Model 3. I previously had a Chevy Volt, but it got totaled in a car accident when someone hit me. I have been without a car for 2 months now, so looking forward to getting an all electric car.
It will be a 2022 for sure. Also the battery pack in the 2021 and 2022 LR is the same. The EPA range estimates mean nothing IMO.

Reactions: hlin07 and Gasaraki
Very nice that it will be a 2022. With my Volt, it was EPA rated at 53 miles, but I got 65, sometimes up to 70 miles in the warmest part of summer and about 30-35 miles in the coldest part of winter. So I look at the EPA value as a rough mid-point.

Very nice that it will be a 2022. With my Volt, it was EPA rated at 53 miles, but I got 65, sometimes up to 70 miles in the warmest part of summer and about 30-35 miles in the coldest part of winter. So I look at the EPA value as a rough mid-point.
You can get around 310 miles going 70 mph on the interstate with the M3 LR. You will get more miles going slower and less miles going faster. Keep in mind that 310 miles is 100% to 0% battery use, which you wouldn't want to do in real life lol.

Yep, fully understand on the range not going to 0. It would be the same thing as Empty on an ICE engine. My first car was a 2005 Mazda 3, and the fuel warning light would come on with about 50-60 miles range left. At about 20 miles left the Check Engine light would come on which basically meant 'dummy, get to a gas station now'. I presume the Tesla's will have a more sophisticated warning system when the range starts to get low, but conceptually I wouldn't want to go under 50 miles range left before charging again.

I'm a slower driver (learned that the hard way in 2007), so I'll be on the better end of the available range. The Volt showed while driving the energy being used when accelerating, so I could see if I accelerated harder the amount of extra energy used, or if going up a hill how much extra energy was involved.

One thing I like about the regenerative breaking on the Tesla is that it wasn't as jerky as the Volt. The Volt essentially had 2 modes of regenerative breaking. The lighter mode is what I used. The heavier mode on the Volt (which is probably similar to Tesla regenerative breaking) was very jerky and felt like a bad roller coaster. When I test-drove a model 3, it felt smoother even though the breaking was heavier.

With my previous P85D, I drove it to zero. A couple hundred feet away from the Sheetz, it cut all power and gave a bunch of warnings (Battery power too low, charge battery, etc).

Had to "dead-stick" it into the parking lot as close to the Supercharger stall as possible, then push it a car length or two into the stall. I really don't recommend doing that. It's a very heavy car to push. The 3 is a bit lighter but I'm sure it still isn't easy to move.

Reactions: CarbonPear
I placed my order in mid-September and just took delivery on November 24. They told me my car was one of the very first 2022 models off the line.

When ordering, I asked the question about model year and they told me that any car made in December would be the 2022 model.

I placed my order in mid-September and just took delivery on November 24. They told me my car was one of the very first 2022 models off the line.

When ordering, I asked the question about model year and they told me that any car made in December would be the 2022 model.
Just check the 10th digit of the VIN.

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 6.01.35 PM.png