Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 USB-C ports inside the console don't communicate with infotainment system

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Opinion] I don’t know but I doubt they’ll flip that bit for a 3rd party module. There’s a condition somewhere that says if you don’t have x hardware… no sonic/cup head. I’m in the same boat and it irks me.
There was a leak that they are working on enabling bluetooth controllers (plus there is some hint in recent updates where they changed bluetooth interface so that it can show other devices besides just phones). I think if Tesla gets to that, then it'll enable it. Of course they won't do it solely to support a third party module.

Tesla dropped the communications chip that supports data on the USB ports due to supply issues. You can buy a replacement aftermarket module that has the data chip on it for about $70. I did this and now all data works as it should.
If this is still the case when I go to pick up my new 3 in a couple months, I will reject the car. I don‘t care if I lose the $250 deposit. I can’t play my lossless USB music or use the joysticks I currently have in my existing Model 3.

If this is still the case when I go to pick up my new 3 in a couple months, I will reject the car. I don‘t care if I lose the $250 deposit. I can’t play my lossless USB music or use the joysticks I currently have in my existing Model 3.
Note that is not true, the glovebox USB-A ports still works for data. The data was only removed from the USB-c ports in the center console.

There are multiple ways to use the USB-A port for more than one device/usage (including a USB hub, formatting USB drive to have multiple partitions, a dual card reader, etc).

• Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
Note that is not true, the glovebox USB-A ports still works for data. The data was only removed from the USB-c ports in the center console.

There are multiple ways to use the USB-A port for more than one device/usage (including a USB hub, formatting USB drive to have multiple partitions, a dual card reader, etc).
Music yes, controllers no. We’re in a situation where the console ports don’t transmit data. The glovebox port does but doesn’t support controllers; thus lacking Sonic/Cup Head in the UI. This is the case with or without the hub in the glovebox.

This was due to a temporary supply chain issue last year that has been resolved for newer builds (as far as I know - haven’t read anything to the contrary).

If there’s a 3rd party part that resolves this for people I’m all for it. I encourage folks to link (so long as it’s not against forum rules). I’d rather have the OEM Tesla part though.

Music yes, controllers no. We’re in a situation where the console ports don’t transmit data. The glovebox port does but doesn’t support controllers; thus lacking Sonic/Cup Head in the UI. This is the case with or without the hub in the glovebox.

This was due to a temporary supply chain issue last year that has been resolved for newer builds (as far as I know - haven’t read anything to the contrary).

If there’s a 3rd party part that resolves this for people I’m all for it. I encourage folks to link (so long as it’s not against forum rules). I’d rather have the OEM Tesla part though.
Nope not true, the controllers still work in the glovebox, even in cars without data in center console.

See thread below:

It does not restore any missing games, but that is separate from whether the controller works or not for whatever games still included. If it doesn't work in yours try disconnecting any hubs (some may not properly passthrough) and directly connecting the controller. Also make sure you have one tested to be compatible in first place.

True. I should have been more specific. For me, I wanted both data on the center console ports and USB-C support. This restored that functionality. It was 70 dollars when I bought it from Tparts. Note that Tesla cut off the data cable on later cars and you need to let Tparts know this so that they can include a free cable. Mine had the cable already in place and intact. You also need to let them know if you have a Ryzen or Intel processor. Mine was Ryzen.

Last edited:
OK Tesla Pros
I picked up MYLR 5-seater on Nov 22 2022. It can wirelessly charge my Samsung S21 without any problem.
However, it does not work with my OnePlus6 cellphone

Here is the issue: my 2023 MYLR has only one USB-A which is needed for the 128 GB Tesla stick which is for Dash cam and Sentry mode. There are at least 4 USB-C ports for use by driver and passengers.

Here is my question: If I bought a USB-C USB-C cable , one end to Tesla USB-C port and the other goes my cellphone, would it charge my OnePlus6 cellphone? Anyone tries this yet?
Thanks

OK Tesla Pros
I picked up MYLR 5-seater on Nov 22 2022. It can wirelessly charge my Samsung S21 without any problem.
However, it does not work with my OnePlus6 cellphone

Here is the issue: my 2023 MYLR has only one USB-A which is needed for the 128 GB Tesla stick which is for Dash cam and Sentry mode. There are at least 4 USB-C ports for use by driver and passengers.

Here is my question: If I bought a USB-C USB-C cable , one end to Tesla USB-C port and the other goes my cellphone, would it charge my OnePlus6 cellphone? Anyone tries this yet?
Thanks
Yes, it should charge your phone. The only purpose of those usb-c ports at the moment is to charge devices. The USB-C ports have not supported data for about a year now due to Tesla removing the chips needed for data.

I guess I need to check my new 2023 M3 RWD. The manual points to it being able to support data, but I havent connected anything to them. Waiting on the aftermarket docking station:

USB Ports​

Model 3 has two USB ports located in the front compartment of the center console. These ports can be used to:
  • Connect and charge USB devices.
  • Play audio files stored on a phone or USB device (see Playing Media from Devices).
  • For saving Sentry Mode and Dashcam video footage, use the USB port located in the glove box. Doing so increases security and minimizes power consumption.
The USB ports can output power up to approximately 15W (which may vary depending on vehicle manufacture date).
Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.
Both ports are USB-C compatible.
See USB Drive Requirements for Recording Videos for information about formatting USB flash drives.
Open the front compartment of the center console. The front USB ports are located on the rear wall of the compartment.
Zoombox showing the location of the USB ports in the center console.

I guess I need to check my new 2023 M3 RWD. The manual points to it being able to support data, but I havent connected anything to them. Waiting on the aftermarket docking station:

USB Ports​

Model 3 has two USB ports located in the front compartment of the center console. These ports can be used to:
  • Connect and charge USB devices.
  • Play audio files stored on a phone or USB device (see Playing Media from Devices).
  • For saving Sentry Mode and Dashcam video footage, use the USB port located in the glove box. Doing so increases security and minimizes power consumption.
The USB ports can output power up to approximately 15W (which may vary depending on vehicle manufacture date).
Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.
Both ports are USB-C compatible.
See USB Drive Requirements for Recording Videos for information about formatting USB flash drives.
Open the front compartment of the center console. The front USB ports are located on the rear wall of the compartment.
Zoombox showing the location of the USB ports in the center console.

No, it actually doesnt point to 2023 vehicles having Data in the USB. The online manual, in the same section that you pulled this from has this text in it:

Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 3.10.02 PM.png

Does Tesla have a part number available which actually did have the USB communication chipset on it? Since they made this change, I would assume there would be a part number to differentiate the two when they made the switch, so one can have it changed to it if they were to go forward besides the 3rd party route.

For instance, if a car that had it needed replacement, Tesla would not just change to one without it.