Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 USB to USB-c adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a new 2022 Model 3 with only USB-c ports in the center console. I am looking for a USB to USB-c adapter that I can use to plug in devices for charging. Has anyone had success using an adapter to plug devices in via the USB c ports?

If you're trying to charge an iPhone use a USB C to lightening cable such as this

If you're trying to charge an Android, use a USB C to C cable. It probably already came with your phone

If you're trying to charge an older device that uses USB A, pick up an adapter like this

I personally have this

I charge my Android phone using a USB C to C cable, I have a USB C to lightening cable for iPhone passengers and I use one of the USB A ports to power my dashcam.

Get cables that can plug directly into the car's USB-C ports for anything you regularly charge in the car.

Adapters can work fine, but more leverage on the port and clunkier, and charge rate will be limited to lower USB-A power. Much better to use direct USB-C cables.

Reactions: rpiotro
Syntech USB C to USB Adapter Pack

This one is a short 4 inch cord
USB C to USB Adapter [2 Pack], JSAUX USB Type C Male to USB 3.0 Female OTG

I use both of those for my game remotes. It can power stuff. But my phone I just use the charge pad

I use this:
Apple MJ1M2AM/A USB-C to USB Adapter Amazon.com
The Apple adapter works great with my USB music drive in my center console. My wife and I both have MBPs so we had a spare one of these already.

But if you're one of the people who got screwed by Tesla and have charge-only USB ports in the center console, you're wasting 19 bucks.

Reactions: sasinsam
The Apple adapter works great with my USB music drive in my center console. My wife and I both have MBPs so we had a spare one of these already.

But if you're one of the people who got screwed by Tesla and have charge-only USB ports in the center console, you're wasting 19 bucks.
How do we know if we’re one of those screwed people? I tried a USB-A with a USB-C adapter. No workie. I thought it maybe the adapter. I’d read some don’t work.

How do we know if we’re one of those screwed people? I tried a USB-A with a USB-C adapter. No workie. I thought it maybe the adapter. I’d read some don’t work.
I suppose the only way to rule out adapter issues is to test a good quality native USB-C drive like a Samsung Duo Plus. The drive itself is USB-C but it has an included adapter for traditional USB port compatibility.
If you’ve been Musked and have charge-only USB-C ports, you still have a drive that can be used with its adapter in a “regular” port.

Somehow that links to the 256GB variant rather than the 128GB that I had intended, but the Amazon product page allows you to choose from several sizes.

• Informative
Reactions: SFNM Jack
I suppose the only way to rule out adapter issues is to test a good quality native USB-C drive like a Samsung Duo Plus. The drive itself is USB-C but it has an included adapter for traditional USB port compatibility.
If you’ve been Musked and have charge-only USB-C ports, you still have a drive that can be used with its adapter in a “regular” port.

Somehow that links to the 256GB variant rather than the 128GB that I had intended, but the Amazon product page allows you to choose from several sizes.
Thx for the info. A bit more detail if you care…. So. My USB-c to lightening charges my phone fine form the console ports and the rear ports. For the other reply above I know about the built in charges. I’m trying get music into the infotainment system w/o using the usb-a port int he glove box. At any rate…. The Phone will not charge form the console ports using the usb-c to usb-a adapters I bought and subsequently returned to Amazon. Now would the USB-a drive light when using the usb-c adapter in the center console. Therefor, I figured the USB-c adapters weren’t comparable. I’m buying a USB-c flash and will tes that way.

So, with all of that said…. If I have been Musked, is there a fix? Can I get an after market hub and install so the console ports work for data and charging. They are pretty effin useless otherwise.

Thx for the info. A bit more detail if you care…. So. My USB-c to lightening charges my phone fine form the console ports and the rear ports. For the other reply above I know about the built in charges. I’m trying get music into the infotainment system w/o using the usb-a port int he glove box. At any rate…. The Phone will not charge form the console ports using the usb-c to usb-a adapters I bought and subsequently returned to Amazon. Now would the USB-a drive light when using the usb-c adapter in the center console. Therefor, I figured the USB-c adapters weren’t comparable. I’m buying a USB-c flash and will tes that way.

So, with all of that said…. If I have been Musked, is there a fix? Can I get an after market hub and install so the console ports work for data and charging. They are pretty effin useless otherwise.
Not exactly your situation because I have a “Musked” or neutered MYLR with the power only console ports. Assuming the Y and 3 share this attribute, I have found the center console ports are finicky when it comes to powering devices. While an Apple usb c to lightning cable worked fine, the usb c to a adapter plugged into a usb a to lighting cable didn’t work. Same for all four usb c ports.

As to a third party fix, there is a possible glimmer of hope. 7.91US $ 62% OFF|For Tesla 2021 Model 3 Model Y Car Wireless Data Transmission Module Functionality Receiver Interior Decoration Accessories Trim|Automotive Interior Stickers| - AliExpress

Another forum member has already opened up the console on a MY made in Fremont and confirmed the orphan cable.

The essential issue is whether the car’s software has inactivated the cable to communicate, in which case the module would be expensive folly. It appears to work in a MIC model based on the video at the Ali website.

Fortunately, a member has volunteered to purchase the module, test it and report back.
I have ordered one Ali USB module to try out, I have the MYLR 2022 delivered on Dec 6 with only one data USB-c port in the glove box.

You might find this thread helpful.

@rbcopod got to this quickly and has far more info than I do. I've never looked for replacment/fix parts, being fortunate enough to have gotten all the functionality already there from the factory (i.e., not Musked.)

My question, however, is if Tesla couldn't get the parts, how can AliExpress get them so quickly to offer as replacements?

Reactions: RipVanFinkle
My question, however, is if Tesla couldn't get the parts, how can AliExpress get them so quickly to offer as replacements?
Now you're understanding why Tesla couldn't get them... ;)

Most likely they're either not the same thing (even if they're intended to function the same), or there is a limited stock floating around that made it beyond the reach of Tesla's supply chain.

@rbcopod got to this quickly and has far more info than I do. I've never looked for replacment/fix parts, being fortunate enough to have gotten all the functionality already there from the factory (i.e., not Musked.)

I'm presuming they are clones, not the actual OEM parts. The listing does not claim they are OEM parts.