Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 USB to USB-c adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I had a long chat with a guy from Aliexpress where the replacement part mentioned by @rbcopod. He assured me this will function exactly as the original data ports did in pre-musked model y with the intel atom chipset. Guaranteed me return w/o restocking fee but wouldn’t pay freight.

Right now, I’m hanging out waiting for @lagjazz to report back on his install experience. If we don’t get anything from him in the next week or so I’m going to be the next guinea pig….

Reactions: tm1v2 and rbcopod
So, I had a long chat with a guy from Aliexpress where the replacement part mentioned by @rbcopod. He assured me this will function exactly as the original data ports did in pre-musked model y with the intel atom chipset. Guaranteed me return w/o restocking fee but wouldn’t pay freight.

Right now, I’m hanging out waiting for @lagjazz to report back on his install experience. If we don’t get anything from him in the next week or so I’m going to be the next guinea pig….
Fingers crossed that this works.

@rbcopod got to this quickly and has far more info than I do. I've never looked for replacment/fix parts, being fortunate enough to have gotten all the functionality already there from the factory (i.e., not Musked.)

My question, however, is if Tesla couldn't get the parts, how can AliExpress get them so quickly to offer as replacements?
And why aren’t they selling them to Tesla for 2x the price?

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2
And why aren’t they selling them to Tesla for 2x the price?
Having been a global sourcing manager for HP for many years I can tell you that you can’t just pick a new supplier or components Willy-nilly. There are qualification processes and testing and, and, and…. None of this has been done on these parts hence us being the Guinea pigs.

I think the real question is if the orphan data cable show in the video that @rbcopod posted is even active in the software in the neutered MY’s. It appears from the video that it is at least on the MIC MY. I guess we’re going to find out either from @lagjazz or me.

@lagjazz do you have a delivery date?

Reactions: tm1v2
Caveat emptor very much applies here. Would be good to run some USB compliance tests on it, and also on the OE Tesla parts (with and without MCU connection) as a baseline.
Also worth noting that being able to play music from your phone or use a wired controller isn't exactly mission critical. If it works, but doesn't technically meet compliance - it's not a huge issue. If nothing else, at least that would prove that a data connection is still possible on Musk'd cars.

Also worth noting that being able to play music from your phone or use a wired controller isn't exactly mission critical. If it works, but doesn't technically meet compliance - it's not a huge issue. If nothing else, at least that would prove that a data connection is still possible on Musk'd cars.
Calling these cars "Musk'd" is a bit excessive. The chip shortages go way beyond Tesla and even the auto industry as a whole. Other automakers have cut features like touchscreens and heated seats due to chip shortages. I don't know your preferences, but to me losing USB data is not so bad compared to those.

Reactions: jboles
Calling these cars "Musk'd" is a bit excessive. The chip shortages go way beyond Tesla and even the auto industry as a whole. Other automakers have cut features like touchscreens and heated seats due to chip shortages. I don't know your preferences, but to me losing USB data is not so bad compared to those.
I partially agree. The way it’s handled with zero disclosure from Tesla is what’s infuriating. If people were told about this ahead of time, it would be a non-issue. I paid for a vehicle and I feel like I was mislead/lied to. I bought a Tesla to avoid getting ripped off by sleazy salesmen, but the tactics apparently are the same at corporate…

I partially agree. The way it’s handled with zero disclosure from Tesla is what’s infuriating. If people were told about this ahead of time, it would be a non-issue. I paid for a vehicle and I feel like I was mislead/lied to. I bought a Tesla to avoid getting ripped off by sleazy salesmen, but the tactics apparently are the same at corporate…
It's not the cars that are Musked - it's the owners who got Musked by not getting full functionality, an explanation of what happened and what Tesla will do to correct it when the parts are available, etc., including being flat-out lied to by uninformed and/or apathetic sales/service staff.

Providing a simple statement that "Some vehicles will be delivered without X or Y functionality, but we estimate parts availability as of 2022/mm/dd, subject to change, and will schedule service to restore full functionality after that date."

But that's what a PR department does (perhaps without the run-on sentence). Tesla has no PR department to speak of.

If we sit idly by when a change like this occurs with no reasonable communication or disclosure we deserve future changes that may be even more egregious. It’s not okay to be Musked. #dontmuskmebro

Reactions: TomT
Hi everyone,

I have a new 2022 Model 3 with only USB-c ports in the center console. I am looking for a USB to USB-c adapter that I can use to plug in devices for charging. Has anyone had success using an adapter to plug devices in via the USB c ports?
Hi,

It seems like our Multi-ports USB hub will be a good fit for your 2022 Model 3. You may find more products here:

Also, for your 2022 model 3, it might not support data transferring function at your Console data ports, for more discussion regarding this issue, you may see post and discussion below:

For this issue, we also have solution for you, our Console Data Transmission Module will restore the data transferring function, you may find members discussion regarding our product at the end of the post above.

Hope this help!

TPARTS

I have a car from the year 2022 and I can not listen to music through the ports of the center console.How can I listen to music through these ports.It is true that these ports are only for charging certain devices?

In a 2022, thats correct. No data through the ports in the center console. You can listen to music by:

1. Using bluetooth to connect your phone and streaming from there
(note that even older teslas do NOT support wired music play from your smartphone, unless you have a partition on your phone where it looks like a storage device (you would know if this is something you had.)

2. Plugging in a USB hub in the glove compartment, then plugging in a USB device with music copied on it.

3. Streaming music through the tesla interface using spotify, tidal, or the built in music streaming platform in your area.

Hi,

It seems like our Multi-ports USB hub will be a good fit for your 2022 Model 3. You may find more products here:

Also, for your 2022 model 3, it might not support data transferring function at your Console data ports, for more discussion regarding this issue, you may see post and discussion below:

For this issue, we also have solution for you, our Console Data Transmission Module will restore the data transferring function, you may find members discussion regarding our product at the end of the post above.

Hope this help!

TPARTS
Any chance you will ship this to the UK?