Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S - Collision Avoidance and Front Parking Guidance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the 2022 Model S, I am still uncertain what collision warnings and related actions (such as braking) there is without using Autopilot or Cruise Control. Does the car warn and stop before a rear ending? Can it help evade a T-bone crash? Does any of these features work on side streets (off Freeways)? The manual is ambiguous about what features are predicated on Autopilot.

And while I am at it...any way to get the parking guidance lines and front camera view for parking? I thought maybe the Sentry cameras, but they don't seem to activate when the car is out of Park.

Thanks so much.

On the 2022 Model S, I am still uncertain what collision warnings and related actions (such as braking) there is without using Autopilot or Cruise Control. Does the car warn and stop before a rear ending? Can it help evade a T-bone crash? Does any of these features work on side streets (off Freeways)? The manual is ambiguous about what features are predicated on Autopilot.

And while I am at it...any way to get the parking guidance lines and front camera view for parking? I thought maybe the Sentry cameras, but they don't seem to activate when the car is out of Park.

Thanks so much.
There are a number of safety features that remain active (if turned on), even when Autopilot is not enabled. They happen to be listed under the Autopilot menu, which can be confusing. Blind Spot Collision Warning, Emergency Lane Departure, Auto Emergency Braking and Obstacle Aware Accel. are all very useful.

It's hard to predict when the visual / audible alerts will extend to physical steering / braking adjustments but they do "work." For example, if you start to drift out of lane the car will show blue line on instrument cluster and nudge you back to the center. It will also attempt to move left or right if someone tries to merge into your lane unsafely. Or if you approach a car in front of you too quickly, it will beep and visually alert. I've only had it apply braking on top of that 1 time. While the car will certainly attempt to brake and slow down, my impression is that it likely won't stop in time to avoid collision in most cases, but will decrease the impact speed. You can safely test most of these to get comfortable with behavior (except Obstacle Aware Acceleration!).

And no, the front camera cannot be activated for parking, although the parking lines should show up whenever you reverse.

There are a number of safety features that remain active (if turned on), even when Autopilot is not enabled. They happen to be listed under the Autopilot menu, which can be confusing. Blind Spot Collision Warning, Emergency Lane Departure, Auto Emergency Braking and Obstacle Aware Accel. are all very useful.

It's hard to predict when the visual / audible alerts will extend to physical steering / braking adjustments but they do "work." For example, if you start to drift out of lane the car will show blue line on instrument cluster and nudge you back to the center. It will also attempt to move left or right if someone tries to merge into your lane unsafely. Or if you approach a car in front of you too quickly, it will beep and visually alert. I've only had it apply braking on top of that 1 time. While the car will certainly attempt to brake and slow down, my impression is that it likely won't stop in time to avoid collision in most cases, but will decrease the impact speed. You can safely test most of these to get comfortable with behavior (except Obstacle Aware Acceleration!).

And no, the front camera cannot be activated for parking, although the parking lines should show up whenever you reverse.
Thanks very much. It is the fact that these safety features are listed under the Autopilot menu that makes it confusing indeed.

Regarding the lane assist, is this to say that it will attempt to keep us in the lane if drifting regardless of whether the signal is on? .

My M3 has the reverse parking guidelines but my 2022 MS does not. I don't see it as a switchable option. As with the parking stop, I hope they fix the bug that air suspension lower the car after parking (over the parking stop). I had the front bumper ripped off when I backed out of the space. That was on my 2014 MS.

My M3 has the reverse parking guidelines but my 2022 MS does not. I don't see it as a switchable option. As with the parking stop, I hope they fix the bug that air suspension lower the car after parking (over the parking stop). I had the front bumper ripped off when I backed out of the space. That was on my 2014 MS.
FYI, my 2022 MS does have the reverse parking guidelines.

It's not fixed. Don't ask me how I know lmao
I do have the reverse lines though

It is my experience that the only audible indicator from slow forward driving towards parking stops is the scrape of paint being removed from the bottom front of my MS. Not sure park assist helps with curbs or anything under 8” in height.

According to owner's manual the "sensors are activated when driving slower than 5 mph (8 km/h)", so not sure if that's the difference. 🤷‍♂️