Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S. Condensation in both of my headlights, Tesla refuse to replace them.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took pictures and was approved to get both headlights replace. I dropped my 2022 S at the SC and when I got my car back, I found out that they did not replace them. Here I am thinking they might have done something else to help prevent condensation. Come to find out nothing was done. I sent a message and their reply was " it is normal to have condensation in both my headlights "

Has anyone here replace their headlights for condensation? If so, how bad does it have to be for them to replace it under warranty? I have never heard of anyone stating that condensation is normal for headlights?

So I took pictures and was approved to get both headlights replace. I dropped my 2022 S at the SC and when I got my car back, I found out that they did not replace them. Here I am thinking they might have done something else to help prevent condensation. Come to find out nothing was done. I sent a message and their reply was " it is normal to have condensation in both my headlights "

Has anyone here replace their headlights for condensation? If so, how bad does it have to be for them to replace it under warranty? I have never heard of anyone stating that condensation is normal for headlights?

I've owned many vehicles and never can I recall getting condensation in the tail or headlights. Not that I look, but still, I would think I would notice it.

I took this last night

Attachments

• C7B437DB-629F-497F-8069-F3B2E50923DC.jpeg
    C7B437DB-629F-497F-8069-F3B2E50923DC.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 67F45FB2-0ED3-4A79-BFE0-D6CC204F66DB.jpeg
    67F45FB2-0ED3-4A79-BFE0-D6CC204F66DB.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: byeLT4
I had condensation in my taillight and they replaced it under warranty for my 2015. I can't imagine why they wouldn't do a headlights on a new car. Maybe reach out to another service center?
I know! It is under warranty. I don't know why they would give me a hard time about this. It is not like I am asking them to replace it and no warranty.

Are there little air holes in the headlights like my M3P taillights had? Maybe they think the film is covering the little holes preventing the airflow, and thus preventing evaporation. Does one put the film over headlights? That would seem unnecessary and likely to discolor faster with the heat from the headlights. I’m guessing there’s some sarcasm here that I’m slow to pick up. 😀

Are there little air holes in the headlights like my M3P taillights had? Maybe they think the film is covering the little holes preventing the airflow, and thus preventing evaporation. Does one put the film over headlights? That would seem unnecessary and likely to discolor faster with the heat from the headlights. I’m guessing there’s some sarcasm here that I’m slow to pick up. 😀
Tesla Statement " The water is escaping the fixture when heat from the lights applied. This is the expected behavior. The insulation cause by the PPF on the lights could be slowing evaporation but there was no error with hardware "

I have PPF on my other car for over 13 years and nothing happened. No discoloration at all or condensations.

Does one put the film over headlights?
Unfortunately todays headlights are all made of plastic which will get sandblasted as time goes by unless you simply just drive to the corner store at slow speeds all the time. The film will eliminate this type wear on those $2,000 a piece headlights. Once the film gets worn it is simple to have it replaced at a low cost compared to trying to buff out plastic which never last very long once corrected.

Unfortunately todays headlights are all made of plastic which will get sandblasted as time goes by unless you simply just drive to the corner store at slow speeds all the time. The film will eliminate this type wear on those $2,000 a piece headlights. Once the film gets worn it is simple to have it replaced at a low cost compared to trying to buff out plastic which never last very long once corrected.
True! My 13year old car headlights with PPF did not discolor or fade. My other car that did not have PPF got discolor and fade. I buffed it out and polish, yet it only last about 1 year and I have to do it all over again. :rolleyes:

Remove the PPF from the headlights. It’ll be easy to replace. Tesla’s allegation that the PPF is insulating the lights is absurd. But if they replace the headlights, you’ll need to get the PPF installed on the new ones anyway so you aren’t really out anything. Once the PPF is removed, run the headlights for a bit and see if the condensation disappears. If not, take the car in and complain that the headlights aren’t as bright as they should be and the fog you think is diminishing the range of your headlights. It probably isn’t but remember you’re dealing with people that think a plastic film insulates the headlight module and causes condensation.

It would be interesting to know if the headlight units are sealed. I thought they were. If so there should d be no condensation. If they are vented then there’s way for the headlight’s to be drawing in damp air and then getting condensation. If they’re all vented then replacing your headlights may not help.

Tesla probably feels that the owner, by installing untested, 3rd party accessories (perhaps not the best word) may be complicit and the cause of the complaint. No way to know for sure, without Tesla doing expensive time consuming research and testing of this product.

Reasoning seems solid from both parties.