Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S: High Beams and Auto-Locking Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Having difficulty manually turning on high beams and keeping them on until manually turned off. Here's what I found in the manual, but it is not working. The lights quickly revert to regular head lights. Solutions? Thanks.

2. The updated locking system setting that allows unlocking doors and the trunk by pushing and holding driver unlock button, seems to prevent opening the trunk manually standing at the back of the car. So, I had to revert to the old setting that doesn't unlock doors/trunk with the button. Anyone else experience this?

3. While I am at it, does the auto-locking system after parking delay locking and sometimes doesn't lock at all (in which case I use the app to lock)? It's annoying to wait to see if the car will lock. Any way to speed up the auto-locking process?

High Beam Headlights​

Use the high beam headlight button on the left side of the steering yoke to control the headlights:
  • Press and quickly release to flash high beam headlights.
  • Press and hold to turn on high beam headlights - the instrument panel displays a brief timer and you must hold for the duration of the timer to latch the high beam headlights to the on position. When headlights are on, press the button a second time to turn them off.
Closeup of high beam button on steering yoke.
Auto High Beam (if equipped)
The high beam headlights can automatically switch to low beam when there is light detected in front of Model S (for example, from an oncoming vehicle). To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Lights > Auto High Beam. Your chosen setting is retained until you manually change it.
Note
When you touch or press the high beam headlight button on the left side of the steering yoke, the touchscreen displays an abbreviated lights menu to provide quick access to control headlights, fog lights (if equipped), and the Auto High Beam setting. Use the touchscreen to choose options from this menu.
Note
Auto High Beam is automatically enabled when Autosteer is engaged. To switch to low beam headlights, press the high beam headlight button on the steering yoke. Auto High Beam is re-enabled every time Autosteer is activated.
The following indicator lights are visible on the instrument panel to show the status of the headlights:
A green circular shape with five horizontal, slanted lines coming out of it
Low beam headlights are on.
A blue circular shape with five horizontal lines coming out of it
High beam headlights are on. Illuminates when high beams are on but the Auto High Beamsetting is turned off or if the Auto High Beam setting is turned on but is temporarily unavailable.
A blue circular shape with an A in the middle and five horizontal lines coming out of it
High beams are currently turned on, and Auto High Beam is ready to turn off the high beams if light is detected in front of Model S.
A gray circular shape with an A in the middle and five horizontal lines coming out of it
High beams are temporarily turned off because Auto High Beam is operating and light is detected in front of Model S. When light is no longer detected, high beam headlights automatically turn back on.

Living in a suburban neighborhood I have the same issue with AutoHighBeam.
Out on the freeway AutoHighBeam works ok, in general.
I assume that on the Settings->Lights page I assume AutoHighBeam shows
a blue dot (meaning On).
So change AutoHighBeam to off (it will then be all dark gray).

Upvote 0
Living in a suburban neighborhood I have the same issue with AutoHighBeam.
Out on the freeway AutoHighBeam works ok, in general.
I assume that on the Settings->Lights page I assume AutoHighBeam shows
a blue dot (meaning On).
So change AutoHighBeam to off (it will then be all dark gray).
Thanks. Still doesn't work and, from what I read, it is a universal problem. Still searching for an alternative to having to hold the yoke button down for high beam lights.

Upvote 0
On #3, auto locking, there are no adjustments. Mine has been reliable, but I always check. If a door is left slightly ajar (1/4") it will not lock. I did see someone added an extra rubber seal around the hatch that while the hatch still latched, it considered it open and would not lock. So it appears the rear latch and knowing when the hatch is closed are separate. If the two are not in perfect sync, perhaps it is preventing the car from locking.

Reactions: Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0
I am having a different issue with auto high beams on my 23 Plaid and I don't know if it is recent software or has always been like this.

When I have auto high beams on, but quickly hit the headlight button to "flash" my high beams, auto high beams go off as indicated by the display in front of the driver, but the display on the center console still shows that auto high beams are enabled. I have to toggle them off and back on to get them actually enabled again.

Anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: AcesAreWld
Upvote 0
I am having a different issue with auto high beams on my 23 Plaid and I don't know if it is recent software or has always been like this.

When I have auto high beams on, but quickly hit the headlight button to "flash" my high beams, auto high beams go off as indicated by the display in front of the driver, but the display on the center console still shows that auto high beams are enabled. I have to toggle them off and back on to get them actually enabled again.

Anyone else seeing this?
yup....ever figure it out?

Upvote 0
@Mr. Jetson

Not sure if you figured this out or not, but in order to get the high beam to stay on you will need to
1. Turn off auto high beam and auto head/low beam light,
2. Turn on low beam headlight
3. Then when you press and hold the high beam the counter will show up and the high beam will come on and stay on.

I was trying to figure this out myself, and with anything Tesla, you need to try all sequence of button presses and then do a small rain dance to get something as simple as turning on high beams to work.

Reactions: Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0