Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Long Range - A/C Compressor Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just posting in case anyone else ends up having the same issue. Car displayed the "Electrical system power reduced" on the dash while the main screen showed low voltage remaining. The percentage then ticked down at about 1% a second until it died and the car completely powered off.

Tesla had the car towed about 80 miles to the nearest service center. Remote diagnosis of logs and a chat with SC they stated that the A/C Compressor was "no longer isolated".

Following parts were replaced and they got me the car back in under 24 hours which was really impressive.

AC COMPRESSOR, 41CC(1501256-01-L)
WASHER, 3/4, STL ZN, SEAL.(1111740-00-A)
WASHER, 1/2, STL ZN, SEAL.(1111738-00-A)

Car is a year old, 17k miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3492.jpeg
    IMG_3492.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3493.jpeg
    IMG_3493.jpeg
    408.1 KB · Views: 67
Good to know. And sad that the design of the car causes an entire vehicle failure when the AC compressor has an issue.
Agreed, I won't pretend that I'm saying this correctly but the SC advisor said it looked like the compressor wasn't "isolated" and the car uses the 12v to protect the main battery. By draining the 12v it turned the car off and stopped the issue from pulling power from the main battery.

Agreed, I won't pretend that I'm saying this correctly but the SC advisor said it looked like the compressor wasn't "isolated" and the car uses the 12v to protect the main battery. By draining the 12v it turned the car off and stopped the issue from pulling power from the main battery.
If there is an isolation fault, the pack will not activate and the car cannot charge the 12V battery so it drains quickly if car the is (partly) on.