Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Long Range Yoke shaking at highway speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done just over 1,000 miles in my 2022 Model S LR with 19s and I'm getting really bad shake/vibration in the yoke when doing 70mph + on the highway.

Tesla re-balanced the wheels last week and said that had fixed it but I've been on a highway drive today and it seems to have made no difference at all.

Has anybody else got the same issue?

My Delorean had this issue, and Goodyear balanced and rebalanced. Only taking it to a good independent shop would a rebalance fix the issue. Six months later, Goodyear did call me saying their equipment calibration was off, and it was fixed now. At least they remembered me and notified me so I could again use my lifetime free balance and alignment.

I also recall the local tire store truing the tire so that it is completely round by shaving some tread off. This would help correct a defective tire, which shouldn't happen today unless it is clearly a manufacturing defect. The other possible reason on a new car would be a wheel out of spec. This is not normal. My 2020 is straight and true with no vibrations So, finding the true source of the problem is the issue. I'd take it to a really good wheel and tire shop for determination of the cause. Maybe start off by paying the fairly low cost for a balance. I have my doubts that any Tesla service could find the issue. Once you know, you can take the issue up with Tesla again.

I've done just over 1,000 miles in my 2022 Model S LR with 19s and I'm getting really bad shake/vibration in the yoke when doing 70mph + on the highway.

Tesla re-balanced the wheels last week and said that had fixed it but I've been on a highway drive today and it seems to have made no difference at all.

Definitely a balancing issue. Get them balanced again.

Olly Have you located a fix to your issue?

Tesla changed the half shafts after my last visit and it's definitely improved but I don't think it's gone away completely.

I think it might just be that the shape of the yoke amplifies poor road surfaces...

I also have a 2022 MX LR, and had this issue for a year now, had taken the car back to Tesla for balancing repeatedly (5 or 6 times) and also took the car to an independent shop for balancing once. It never got fixed, just varying degrees of vibration, usually starting around 78 mph and getting worse until 86 mph, then going away at higher speed.

Well, I finally fixed it! One of the veteran service people at my local SC told me that the stock Continental tires are "mid range" and that I might want to consider going to Discount Tire, which is now a Tesla authorized partner, amd putting premium tires on. I had only driven 15k miles on my Continental tires, but I went ahead and took advantage of am instant rebate + a mail in rebate from Pirelli, and replaced all 4 tires.

So far, it has been an immediate massive improvement and the tires also seem to feel better on the road. Maybe my imagination but I doubt it. All in cost was about $1,200, and this includes lifetime balance and rotate, + a 50k mile warranty.

Wanted to post this here as my ability to now use Autopilot at 80-85 is back, before it had been too annoying bc of the vibration.

I chose the Pirellis over the Michelins as the tech at Discount Tire said the Michelins aren't as smooth on the road.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: codereddew12
I also have a 2022 MX LR, and had this issue for a year now, had taken the car back to Tesla for balancing repeatedly (5 or 6 times) and also took the car to an independent shop for balancing once. It never got fixed, just varying degrees of vibration, usually starting around 78 mph and getting worse until 86 mph, then going away at higher speed.

Well, I finally fixed it! One of the veteran service people at my local SC told me that the stock Continental tires are "mid range" and that I might want to consider going to Discount Tire, which is now a Tesla authorized partner, amd putting premium tires on. I had only driven 15k miles on my Continental tires, but I went ahead and took advantage of am instant rebate + a mail in rebate from Pirelli, and replaced all 4 tires.

So far, it has been an immediate massive improvement and the tires also seem to feel better on the road. Maybe my imagination but I doubt it. All in cost was about $1,200, and this includes lifetime balance and rotate, + a 50k mile warranty.

Wanted to post this here as my ability to now use Autopilot at 80-85 is back, before it had been too annoying bc of the vibration.

I chose the Pirellis over the Michelins as the tech at Discount Tire said the Michelins aren't as smooth on the road.

Thanks for your feedback! What kinds of Pirellis tires did you replace with?

2022 Model S Long Range vibration at 80mph. Tesla has an ongoing investigation! Hope this helps with some frustration, hopefully a fix(update) will resolve this internal problem. It’s not the tires/ wheels or half shafts.

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 47

I had the Continentals on my MSLR road force balanced and one tire was still above 50 lbs. Discount Tire replaced the defective tire and its partner on the front with new ones and my issue is mostly gone.

I had the Pirelli's on it prior when I got the car used last year and they were VERY loud on the road. So, seems that it may just be wear specific for the car. I too was at 14k on the Pirellis and 15k on the Continentals when the issues showed up.