Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S LR Brake Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
for a daily driven LR would @MountainPass rotors and oem pads improve my stopping power on freeways?

- when having to stop from 80-100 to 0 or 80-100 to off ramp/exit speeds

- coming to a sudden stop when i get cut off

i wont be taking the LR to tracks, but did find the LR stock brakes underwhelming even on the fwy.

would the 400mm rotors be a huge improvement in stopping power over the 380 oem size? im leaning towards 380 because i do not want to trim the dust shield, unless the dust shields outer rim that bows towards the rotor can be trimmed to fit 400mm rotors while keeping a shield.

The model s does almost everything else effortlessly

Get a more aggressive pad compound before getting different rotors. You’ll have more dust, but that’s the trade off. Something like EBC Yellows. I’ve used them plenty on past cars and they are a marked improvement over stock pads, but again, come at a cost - dust and faster rotor wear.

This 390mm kit doesn't require any trimming/mofification. This oversized front rotor can also accomondate a deeper pad for an overall increase of heat capacity which can run your brake cooler for lower maintenance and replacement on other components and prolong the brake life.

Motorsports enthusiasts should look for a long term upgrade by increasing the 'thermal capacity' ie. larger rotor and larger pads whatever is possible. Merely an increase to a more aggressive compound can help to stop the car 'better', but is at a compromise of other components (rotor wear, caliper rebuild, and brake fluid replacement) and is not a good practice.