Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S LR some questions..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up 2022 Model S LR after waiting seven months. The delivery intro was pretty short, less than 30 minutes; I guess due to pandemic and poor weather on that day.

Some observations : Fit and finish pretty good, nothing to complain about (I come from BMW/Audi background).

The radio sounds terrible - very tinny sound. Playing from Tidal app makes it a bit tolerable. Is there a way to upgrade the audio system?

Had problem commissioning the Tesla wall connector with my iPhone 10 - in the second step after scanning the QRcode or manually typing the URL address it would just stay in the loop. Called the friend over with Samsung android phone and it worked first time.

Have the 19" Tempest wheels with ugly plasticky hubcaps. Underneath it is a nice alloy rim. Anyone got rid of these ugly hubcaps? Where do you source the center wheal bearing cap?

Is there a spare tire somewhere in there?

How do you control the seat heater?

It is a good car, does not have the European car handling, but that may be subjective.

Could use a bigger glove box.

Side pockets in the doors are very shallow.

Is there sunglass holder somewhere on the top front?

Please feel free to post any other advice/suggestions you may have.

One more question - Most parking spaces in front of the strip plazas have this raised up cement curb. The Tesla S has a pretty long nose and it is easy to drive too far front and the scrape the bottom. Is there a way to activate the front camera to "see" this curb in relation to the front bumper?

...very tinny sound...
Doesn't sound right. It's a pretty powerful sound system that could cause deafness.
...Anyone got rid of these ugly hubcaps?...
It's to increase range. Function over beauty.
Where do you source the center wheal bearing cap?
I guess you can send a buying request to Service Center
Is there a spare tire somewhere in there?
No.
How do you control the seat heater?
It should be on the HVAC menu.

This made me chuckle a bit.:

- You HAVE the upgraded system. I have a STD Model 3, I only get 8 speakers and the sound is barely passable. I'm assuming you're some kind of audiophile (like me) - there's no option other than to install your own system but void some warranties in the process.
- Can't help with the wall connector, I don't have one and I don't have an iphone.
- About the hubcaps, I actually LIKE the look of them. Where I live, about 33% of owners do take them off. And Tesla Shop has some options for you, as far as the center cap is concerned.
- No spare tire. Honestly, I wouldn't want to work on the car myself, I'd rather get it towed if I get a flat. Unless I'm in the middle of nowhere, but they sell spares on the shop as well for the likes of you.
- Seat Heater: Open the AC controls by pressing on the Temperature. At the bottom is the controls for the seat heaters, in the shape of a seat. It sets to 3 levels or Auto (each red line is 1 level). Press on the seat image it to switch levels.
- European Handling: No. It does not. I've owned 12 BMWs. No, it does not. But then again, that's not really what these cars are for. They're not made for the track. At most, the performance ones are good on the 1/4 mile. But that's about it.
- Bigger Glove Box: Sure. But you do get storage under the arm rest, and in front of the cup holders. I like the leg room.
- Side pockets: Yes, they are shallow.
- Sunglass holder: No. Although the latch for the Visor is magnetic - if you have metal glasses, they'll probably stick on there.

I'm not sure if this is your first Tesla, but, I hope you are enjoying your car as much as possible, HOWEVER, from your post, I think your expectations were a little misguided. I know what Luxury is in a car - I've owned 12 BMWS, 1 Cadillac Escalade, an Audi, and I have also owned 4 Teslas: 2 Model S, and 2 Model 3. Tesla, as a car manufacturer is NOT meant to be a Luxury brand. In fact, they're quite the opposite, opting for Minimalism. The point of Teslas are MAINLY to be a good, non-dorky, reliable Electric Car. But they are definitely not something someone should look at when looking for Luxury and bells and whistles.
There are a LOT of stores online that offer all the goodies you may be looking for though. Quick google searches will yield lots of results.

Hope this helped.

-Ron

Regarding the audio, make sure you configure in settings and try immersive sound close to High:

418F0307-78BF-4C0B-96E9-A4AA530433C9.jpeg

Then check Amazon and eBay for center cap / lug nut cover options. I think these look great without the plastic hubcaps.

17A4105C-793F-48AC-9249-5CA264415132.jpeg

And be very cautious with front spoiler. It is very low and curbs can do real damage. There is option to raise suspension and have Tesla remember geo-cord to automatically raise in future. But I always worry about air shocks lowering onto curb while parked, and just avoid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gixx1300R