Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 model s matrix headlight patter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering what a normal beam pattern is. When driving at night there is this black bar that is not illuminated on the drivers side.
Here is a pic of the light close to the wall and you can see the block pattern. This not illuminated area is magnified to distance. Is this normal?

5F92FEB9-3524-426F-804E-DA022DD1D32E.jpeg

Same dark spot on the 3/Y, which is the same as the dark spot in your close-up picture. That would bother me a lot and I'm glad I have the regular reflector lights in my 3s. I have to think those spots are there for a reason - possibly to aid the computer in judging distance or something - at least I hope, since it seems like a pretty obvious problem if not deliberate.

I have the same uneven light pattern on my Long Range from March '22. SC told me there will be a software update at some point, but no ETA. Besides the vertical dark spot, the horizontal dark stripe that's visible in your picture just at the bottom end of the vertical dark spot annoys me quite a bit as well. The old Model S lights had overall darker headlights and were also not very homogeneous, but the contrasts between dark and bright were less noticeable.

Same dark spot on the 3/Y, which is the same as the dark spot in your close-up picture. That would bother me a lot and I'm glad I have the regular reflector lights in my 3s. I have to think those spots are there for a reason - possibly to aid the computer in judging distance or something - at least I hope, since it seems like a pretty obvious problem if not deliberate.
On my friends model y performance 2022 that he just got with the matrix headlights , although it is a different design with more of these slots/vanes in the main light source, there is no dark band at distance. This was what prompted me to put in a service request.

That horizontal dark spot from that picture is becuase the road has a slight dip. On straight roads there is no horizontal tap dark spot.

Attachments

• C9BDFBD9-B624-4E38-8E4A-D87BAC782534.jpeg
    C9BDFBD9-B624-4E38-8E4A-D87BAC782534.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 56