Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 model s plaid ALL functions disabled…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, first post bear with me.. the car issues started with the rear tires inner being worn out bad. Found a fix I think was on here for N2itive camber arms. The stock arms will not adjust enough to correct the camber issue. The new arms were ordered delivered and installed with alignment*…(They/arms look awesome by the way.) So I guess about a week later when it’s not dark out and not on a winding road…I realize the steering wheel is off a couple degrees..I’m upset that it’s not straight…then the madness really started about at 90 miles from the alignment date when ALL the functions disable! Every reboot soft and hard..took it for a 50 mile drive. Nothing worked. Made an appt with Tesla that took over 2 weeks! I finally get to Tesla Milford CT and it got even worse……the guy was horrible condescending in front of whole place and basically blamed the new camber arms for the problem…Don the guy that builds these arms was on the phone with him/guy with Tesla trying to talk sense into him and he was not hearing anything Don or I said. The guy from Tesla said the arms have to be taken out. And did “not want to waste my money trying to diagnose the car.” He did come back and said he could “start with 2hrs @ 180 an hr. Couple things here…for 1. I honestly do not think the new arms are the cause. I could be wrong..highly doubt it though.
2. The arms are hardware not software…if the new arms were put back to Tesla spec..how would the car even know what’s in it? The degree we’re talking here is not that much also. I personally think the steering wheel being off or something totally else going on is the problem.
Because I brought the car back to the shop and had the steering fixed. It’s dead on now. Right before I went to my appt at Tesla.

Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.. whoever can solve this.
I will send you a bottle of wine.

I don't think the arms need to be remove either. I do think that mechanic is not very smart.

Now, I do think that there could be a confusion in the software when you had the steering wheel reentered mechanically, but the software in the car was not aware and now the software thinks there is something wrong with the steering so it disable functions.

My dad had work done on his Mercedes S550 and they left the steering wheel uncentered only a few degrees to the right. Since I have very good alignment tools at home, I re-centered the steering wheel and made sure the alignment was perfect. The car completely freaked out and shut all the safety and driver aid features down, including the blind spot monitoring!

I immediately put the steering wheel alignment back to crooked the way it was, and the car was perfectly normal again. Then I told him to take it to Mercedes to align the steering since they have the computer for re-centering the steering wheel in the computer.

In the case of Tesla, I know the Model 3/Y automatically learn the steering wheel center, but maybe not in the S. When I was looking around in the super secret "service" screen last night, I noticed it has a menu for re-centering the steering wheel.

So a couple of options:

1) Put the steering wheel back to being the same amount of crooked, and see if the car goes back to normal. If it does, take it to Tesla to have them realign the steering wheel.
2) Play around with that super secret service menu to make your own adjustment to the wheel centering to see if you can get the functions working again.
3) Play their game of changing back the arms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey, the steering has to be put back mechanically.
I also can get into the super secret menu ahaha. And found all the resets in there and they all failed to reset.
I think it’s ridiculous to change the arms back to stock..however Tesla/guy is being difficult. If I have no choice but to bring it back. Also why are they charging me if it’s under warranty?

Upvote 0
Hey, first post bear with me.. the car issues started with the rear tires inner being worn out bad. Found a fix I think was on here for N2itive camber arms. The stock arms will not adjust enough to correct the camber issue. The new arms were ordered delivered and installed with alignment*…(They/arms look awesome by the way.) So I guess about a week later when it’s not dark out and not on a winding road…I realize the steering wheel is off a couple degrees..I’m upset that it’s not straight…then the madness really started about at 90 miles from the alignment date when ALL the functions disable! Every reboot soft and hard..took it for a 50 mile drive. Nothing worked. Made an appt with Tesla that took over 2 weeks! I finally get to Tesla Milford CT and it got even worse……the guy was horrible condescending in front of whole place and basically blamed the new camber arms for the problem…Don the guy that builds these arms was on the phone with him/guy with Tesla trying to talk sense into him and he was not hearing anything Don or I said. The guy from Tesla said the arms have to be taken out. And did “not want to waste my money trying to diagnose the car.” He did come back and said he could “start with 2hrs @ 180 an hr. Couple things here…for 1. I honestly do not think the new arms are the cause. I could be wrong..highly doubt it though.
2. The arms are hardware not software…if the new arms were put back to Tesla spec..how would the car even know what’s in it? The degree we’re talking here is not that much also. I personally think the steering wheel being off or something totally else going on is the problem.
Because I brought the car back to the shop and had the steering fixed. It’s dead on now. Right before I went to my appt at Tesla.

Any helpful suggestions will be greatly appreciated.. whoever can solve this.
I will send you a bottle of wine.
If they want to deny a warranty claim, they need to prove the new arms (or any modification you made) caused the failure. Not sure how they would do that, but the burden of proof is on them.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Upvote 0
Mechanically done meaning I have to go back to where this all started.
I agree that they need to prove they’re the cause.

Putting the steering wheel back to being crooked again is not hard. Just have to adjust the front tie rod arms. Take it back to the alignment shop that straightened the steering wheel alignment and tell them how much you want crooked, and they can do it pretty quickly.

Upvote 0