Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Plaid Autonomy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased a 2022 Plaid a couple of months ago and seem to only get 50 to 70% of the 396 miles autonomy advertised by Tesla even only driving in Chill mode.
Any similar experience in this forum?
Chill mode (or not) has a negligible effect on range. It simply does not allow the rocket sled performance to get to your ultimate speed. Once you are at 80 mph, driving in chill, sport or plaid makes no difference whatsoever. It just takes longer to get there. If you never drive over 50 mph, with no wind or hills, you may be able to get close to the 396 rated. But who does that? Most folks never get close. My recommendation is to switch to display energy as a percentage, and never look back.

Those of us that enjoy winter lose third or more of range when it gets cold. But that fuel gauge still says the same 396. It really is a made up number. Use the Energy display if you want a more accurate estimate based upon your actual driving.

Upvote 0
To be a contrarian - you can greatly exceed the rated range. Just drive in 70F, at 35 mph steady speed, no hills. You should get 600 miles of range or so.

So many things affect the range you get. I mostly get close to the rated range, but I live in CA. Those in the miserable cold are not going to get there. Driving at 80 mph will also sap range at a faster rate (as it will in any gas car).

Here's a far more detailed analysis and a table showing what affects range (and what doesn't) as compared with an ICE car: Range University – TeslaTap

Upvote 0