Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MODEL S PLAID - Cosmetic disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly off topic, since inside your doors is not an area one would call cosmetically important, but TIL that Tesla took a hammer to my front door hinges as well as both rear doors.

Getting out the touch up paint now.

Are you talking about these notches being from a hammer?

1675820252691.png

I wouldn't expect a hammer to do that to steel while leaving the paint in place. And I don't see how hitting there with a hammer would help anything. From the paint changes, it looks like they loosened the bolts and on the door itself and moved it slightly up on the hinges.

1675820407756.png

The paint missing from the bolt heads is just from using a socket wrench to loosen them.

Did you see them use a hammer?

Are you talking about these notches being from a hammer?

View attachment 904549

I wouldn't expect a hammer to do that to steel while leaving the paint in place. And I don't see how hitting there with a hammer would help anything. From the paint changes, it looks like they loosened the bolts and on the door itself and moved it slightly up on the hinges.

View attachment 904550

The paint missing from the bolt heads is just from using a socket wrench to loosen them.

Did you see them use a hammer?
No, there are other notches with missing paint

On the other doors, the hinge fittings are shifted with exposed primer.

It was certainly caused by a hardened steel implement, not a mallet. Door hinges are tempered steel typically.

Seals are probably misaligned, or not properly installed. Open the doors fully, see if the seals are loose or misplaced.

Also, there is an insulating pad just forward of the front doors that may be misplaced. Open Frunk and look down opening near hinges. The black pad should be pushed aft in front of the door hinge, blocking airflow.
Hello aerodyne, I will try this... And report. Thank you very much

Maybe I go to professional car body shop, maybe better than by me done
I have been able to correct:

Charge port door misalignment

Missing rivets in fender wells, qty 6

Mis installed cover under steering wheel and missing bolt in adjacent air bag attachment.

Missing clip in door sill (with the help of Mobile)

Scratches all under the front, rear aeroshields and battery pack.

Not much, but beats having Tesla do it.

Reactions: jebinc
I have been able to correct:

Charge port door misalignment

Missing rivets in fender wells, qty 6

Mis installed cover under steering wheel and missing bolt in adjacent air bag attachment.

Missing clip in door sill (with the help of Mobile)

Scratches all under the front, rear aeroshields and battery pack.

Not much, but beats having Tesla do it.

Do you have a link or additional info on how you adjusted the charge port door alignment?

Last edited:
Do you have a link or additional info on how you adjusted the charge port door alignment?
It's partly still a work in process, have to replace the damaged charge port bezel flanges.

But the service manual shows there are three adjusting screws in the back of the charge port door bezel.

If your charge port is undamaged, I'd suggest adding shims on the door bezel under the three rubber bumpers on the door.

I have a short vid, but too large to load here

Reactions: TLLMRRJ