Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MODEL S PLAID - Cosmetic disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is the common factor in all of these horror stories Fremont? The lions share at least... are they just rushed? Too focused on quarterly delivery figures?

I would have rejected my MIC Model Y if I had all of those defects and it's not even half the purchase cost of this car.

Why is the common factor in all of these horror stories Fremont? The lions share at least... are they just rushed? Too focused on quarterly delivery figures?

I would have rejected my MIC Model Y if I had all of those defects and it's not even half the purchase cost of this car.
Unfortunately, according to another thread, Austin is catching up...does anyone know about the quality coming from Berlin ?

And thats fine as long as qc catches this stuff or do we expect F1 level engineers?
I agree QC should be able to catch all these defects, but I am afraid company has made the decision to delivery the cars with defects anyways since majority of the new owners will accept the cars regardless due to the long wait time. It's a game Elon is playing.

How does this apply to only a tesla and is it “really“ a 90k car? Do you not pay taxes on an audi or a porsche? Is the software or any option or a more powerful engine free on those? BS argument.
and even if it was “only” a 90k car, in what way would that justify these c*ckups? This car should not have left the factory or any bodyshop this way.
Uncle Paul is really Elon's Uncle.

• Funny
Reactions: _Redshift_
Yeppers...sounds like you have similar issues like mines. Numerous paint issues till now. Weather strips, cracked lens, etc. They had my car for months in body shop ending up changing my front bumpers, removed doors and repainted rear quarter panels. Recommend driving by Tesla service centers and see how many cars there is on the parking lot. Makes you think twice of buying Tesla. Customer service is subpar as well. Even told me that they do not repaint the inside of the doors even though it had two different shades of colors. Normal Angie said--weird.

Yeppers...sounds like you have similar issues like mines. Numerous paint issues till now. Weather strips, cracked lens, etc. They had my car for months in body shop ending up changing my front bumpers, removed doors and repainted rear quarter panels. Recommend driving by Tesla service centers and see how many cars there is on the parking lot. Makes you think twice of buying Tesla. Customer service is subpar as well. Even told me that they do not repaint the inside of the doors even though it had two different shades of colors. Normal Angie said--weird.

Tesla delivered my Plaid in December 2021 with damage to the rear spoiler, which they said they'd have fixed before delivery. Didn't notice they hadn't. I notified them the next day, and it took them till March to get the wrong part. I've had 3 more appointments since and each time they show up with the wrong part, or it disappears from the work order. 9 months later and they just cancelled for the 3rd time this month (after showing up with the wrong part AGAIN on Aug 11th).

Anyone else that's down for a class action lawsuit, let me know.

i went through three different vin to "accepting" my plaid... so if there is a class action any time soon, Im down... But in the interim, Ill just enjoy the power and turn a blind eye to the shoddy quality... A funny thing is most of my conversation with my brother always has him saying as a prefix to any statement relating to Tesla: Apart from the build quality, _________.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
When I took delivery of my Model S Plaid, it had this panel gap. It’s not the camera angle. In fact, the camera angle makes the gap look smaller than it actually is. You can easily fit a finger in there. Fortunately, Tesla didn’t “in spec” me on it.

Instead, they told me that the car I had paid $162,000 for… had been delivered with its left brake lamp not fully seated. They simply hadn’t finished putting the car together. 🤦‍♂️

Like others have said, these quality issues are totally unacceptable for any car, let alone a $160,000 vehicle… yet we all bought Teslas, with the knowledge that they deliver cars whose parts don’t fit together.

But it’s a ridiculously fast car :p

A65CE43A-0370-4C40-8477-8445CE338B0B.jpeg

Hi, I have parallelism issues on the front and rear, the gaps and slanting are huge, 5mm, indifferent, but I afraid, if fixing, try to solve, will make it more worse?
I am afraid too, airstream is interrupted by the gaps and push consumption drastically, was running fast and noticed consumption too high

Attachments

• IMG_20221230_120817.jpg
    IMG_20221230_120817.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20221230_120808.jpg
    IMG_20221230_120808.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20221230_120753.jpg
    IMG_20221230_120753.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20221230_120802.jpg
    IMG_20221230_120802.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20221230_121725.jpg
    IMG_20221230_121725.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20221230_121717.jpg
    IMG_20221230_121717.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20221230_120746.jpg
    IMG_20221230_120746.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Hi, I have parallelism issues on the front and rear, the gaps and slanting are huge, 5mm, indifferent, but I afraid, if fixing, try to solve, will make it more worse?
I am afraid too, airstream is interrupted by the gaps and push consumption drastically, was running fast and noticed consumption too high
That is all 100% within spec for Tesla. 99.9% of these cars are about this way, and it’s kind of amazing they haven’t been able to solve the tail light alignment on the new S yet. Embarrassing…

That is all 100% within spec for Tesla. 99.9% of these cars are about this way, and it’s kind of amazing they haven’t been able to solve the tail light alignment on the new S yet. Embarrassing…
I can not understand, it's just an precision assembly and measuring issue. Measure size of metal sheets on 3d scan, I know tesla has the equipment, than assemble, that's it. The whole chain of producing, cutting, bending, coating must have an additive issue and task to be resolved.. Hope in the next decade will be handled. ...Good luck for my consumption bill. If continuously driving with 170 km/h it's really an turbulence case

I can not understand, it's just a precision assembly and measuring issue. Measure size of metal sheets on 3d scan, I know tesla has the equipment, than assemble, that's it. The whole chain of producing, cutting, bending, coating must have an additive issue and task to be resolved.. Hope in the next decade will be handled. ...Good luck for my consumption bill. If continuously driving with 170 km/h it's really an turbulence case
There’s little chance these imperfections are contributing to any measurable consumption increase.

Reactions: Cheburashka
There’s little chance these imperfections are contributing to any measurable consumption increase.
Up to now, compared with my model 3 with 210 Wh/km, plaid has 240 Wh/km consumed
I will observe carefully and compare with Model 3,

right now , 20% more consumption, even despite better announced cw value of the plaid

Up to now, compared with my model 3 with 210 Wh/km, plaid has 240 Wh/km consumed

I will observe carefully and compare with Model 3,

right now , 20% more consumption, even despite better announced cw value of the plaid

Not really apples to apples … an extra motor, bigger pack, heavier vehicle, tuned for rather extreme performance. Try your luck in chill mode … but that’s not why you bought a Plaid :)

Reactions: jebinc
Totally right, let's run!

I just mentioned it, Sorry, a little 😠 about the processing quality, but now , let's forget it all and call cheetah..
These alignment issues will not have any noticeable impact on range. You have a new car and its incredibly fast, don't compare consumption until you drive it like your previous one. Get the panel gaps checked by your SeC, don’t take the within spec bull, especially not the charge port and top right trunk alignment, that looks close to scraping and while they are at it they can also get it centered. The right door should be an easy fix for them. Now stop obsessing and start enjoying.