Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MODEL S PLAID - Cosmetic disaster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my Model S Plaid last week.
I was doing a search to see if anyone else had these problems, seems like there has been a lot of random quality control issues.
Wish I would have know...for a $164K car out the door there needs to be a higher consideration of evaluation before delivery to make sure it is ready for the buyer.
I wanted to share a few things.

1) Glue exposed from the weatherproof sealing of the rear driver door
2) There were actual red/pink circles of imperfections of the trunk door, likely from QC; there was also a long scratch/gauged metal/scratch, but still the trunk door was installed
3) Insulation/glue exposed on the rear side panels wrapping around to the trunk, worse on the driver's side than the passenger side.
4) Thick paint pushing down the passenger side rear bumper? Bumper does not sit flush to the panel (I included the passenger side and driver side for comparison)
5) Maybe crooked PLAID badge...depends on the angle you look at it
6) not enough sheet metal to finish the wrapping around the driver side rear panel...

Just a few things other people can look out for when inspecting your purchase.

I have another story on how it was delivered

My other car is a 2021 BMW M5 LCI...no cosmetic issues at all, was a little cheaper than this MODEL S PLAID when ordered in 2020 ($130K)
You should tweet these pictures to Elon.

Sorry, not acceptable even on a Chevy Bolt.
Or a ‘70’s era Ford Pinto….

68EF101C-08F0-4D8B-8352-BBF24A042A57.gif

I'm highly suspicious of rear end damage. The sheet metal on the left side lens could not have left the factory looking like that. If it did Tesla is doomed now that there is competition starting to roll out. And paint runs, ill fitting panels, paint nibs,... aren't acceptable on any car. Price isn't a factor. Too much is wrong with the back of your car. Have an independent body shop take a look and then go back to Tesla. They need to make it right.

Last edited:
I'm highly suspicious of rear end damage. The sheet metal on the left side lens could not have left the factory looking like that. If it did Tesla is doomed now that there is competition starting to roll out. And paint runs, ill fitting panels, paint nibs,... aren't acceptable on any car. Price isn't a factor. Too much is wrong with the back of your car. Have an independent body shop take a look and then go back to Tesla. They need to make it right.
Funny thing is, my early run Model S (March 2013 delivery) does not have these sorts of defects.

My Model 3 does have a few paint nibs here and there, but nothing that bothers me too much.

My guess is this particular car was rushed out. They did not fix the issues, may be because there were way too many. Decided to just deliver the car thinking the customer is going to take it to service anyway.

Not looking good.

The issues you show, really are only on a $90,000 car. What made yours a $164,000 car was all the options, taxes, fees etc. The biggest expenses typically are Taxes, the Plaid upgrade and FSD options. None of those will enhance the fit and finish of your car.

Many have posted that items like yours are routinely corrected by a post-delivery to your friendly local service center. Hope they can get you sorted out quickly.

Owning a Tesla can be life altering.
How does this apply to only a tesla and is it “really“ a 90k car? Do you not pay taxes on an audi or a porsche? Is the software or any option or a more powerful engine free on those? BS argument.
and even if it was “only” a 90k car, in what way would that justify these c*ckups? This car should not have left the factory or any bodyshop this way.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Maybe we have a situation where the staff used to contact the new owner and say, ‘your new car is available but it has some ‘minor’ issues...will you accept it or wait another six months?’.....they got so used to people accepting sub-par cars that they no longer bother to ask...a bit like we no longer bother to ask if we can take our dog into a restaurant in France.....

I rejected my Model S delivery because it needed a new rear bumper. It wasn’t installed correctly. The manager still expected me to accept it and return when the parts arrived. Screw that idea!
Say it takes three months for the part to arrive...do you prefer that the car is stored at Tesla (possibly outdoors, maybe flat battery) or lovingly looked after in your garage ?

Say it takes three months for the part to arrive...do you prefer that the car is stored at Tesla (possibly outdoors, maybe flat battery) or lovingly looked after in your garage ?
The car isn't sitting there waiting 3 months to give back to the person that ordered it. Tesla reassigned the VIN minutes after it was rejected and delivered it to someone else that didn't notice or care.

@Ormond will go back into the queue and roll the dice with another one.