Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Plaid+ GVWR = 5596 lbs, 4 lbs short for IRS section 179-168 !! Why??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not fraud if legit GVWR = 6001 lbs...
by remeasuring safest maximum load.
Can S Plaid+ that is safe at 5996 lb loaded
really become unsafe at 6001 lbs loaded???
Sure, there's a point where "safe" becomes "unsafe", but...
And S Plaid+ isn't mass manufactured yet, some micro-tweak is possible...

I'm sure the GVWR is based on some repeatable, industry accepted, testing standard. They can't just "fudge" it 5 pounds.
It wouldn't require them to "fudge" it, just slightly improve something to increase the load capacity by 5lbs.
I wonder if they purposely are staying below 6000lbs, maybe some classification changes if it's over which would change some testing or safety requirements or something that they want to avoid.

It wouldn't require them to "fudge" it, just slightly improve something to increase the load capacity by 5lbs.
I wonder if they purposely are staying below 6000lbs, maybe some classification changes if it's over which would change some testing or safety requirements or something that they want to avoid.
Yeah, and if they “slightly improve” something that increases the GVWR, they’d probably have to get a whole list of things re-certified, including crash testing. As I said, they can’t just fudge it as easily as you are implying.

Model X GVWR = 6500+ lbs.
Model X qualifies for IRS section 179 & 168.
That's why lots of doctors & lawyers buy Model X.
Tesla does NOT avoid 6000 lbs.
Why they came within 4 lbs on 2021+ S Plaid,
as Brian Wilson wrote, "God Only Knows..." ⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️

note: GVWR is determined by automaker, NOT by outside agency,
so AFAICT no outside agency tests GVWR...

Last edited:
your CPA tells you that 6000lbs can apply to a sedan like Mercedes s-class?
Bloody gawblimey.
My IRS tells me:

"Large vehicles
Up to $25,500 of the cost of vehicles rated at more than 6,000 pounds gross vehicle weight and not more than 14,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (like RV) can be deducted using a section 179 deduction.[9] The limitation on sport utility vehicles does not impact larger commercial vehicles, commuter vans, or buses."

"vehicles"
are you getting it yet?
let me try again...
"VEHICLES"

In various settings, when tax deductions are brought up,
there's ALWAYS a couple of angry responders that attempt, but fail,
to hinder useful responses. WHAT IS THEIR UNDERLYING ISSUE????!!!
(asked rhetorically)

I know this is old but the reason it was done this was, in my eyes, is specifically to avoid being classed as a large vehicle. Being over 6k changes registration and taxes in lots of states and some states consider anything over 6k as a “large vehicle”

same reason that Ford offers a 9990 GVWR on their trucks because some states consider 10k a different class of vehicle and ford offers the 9k sticker package to keep it under that for registration in some states, nothing changes except the sticker. The exact same with the F350 that has 11-14k GVWR and some states consider that commercial even if it’s a personal truck and registration goes through the roof. Ford offers a 10k sticker package on those trucks and on paper it’s 10k and the sticker on the door says 10k but literally nothing changed.