Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just looking at the Model S order page to what the estimated delivery date would be (Oct 2022 - Jan 2023). On the overview page, before you click the Order button, it shows the range for the regular Model S as 405 miles, and the Plaid as 396, which is what I remember it being. (You have to scroll down a bit to see that.)

Once you click Order, the Model S range is shown as 375, and the Plaid is shown as 348. Which is correct, and why the discrepancy?

I wouldn't believe any dates they put in there anyway. Maybe they are getting better but I lost count of how many times my delivery date was pushed out.

As for range, I am getting about 75-80% of the claimed range on the highway in hot weather running the AC and driving at about 75 mph. I have the 19" wheels and I have the aero covers on.

I didn't realize the Model S 19" Tempest wheels have aero covers, it doesn't look that way on the website. Does anyone have a photo of what the wheels look like with the aero covers removed?

Our 2018 Model 3 had aero wheel covers, which I thought looked bad so I removed them (I bought the Tesla wheel cap kit). We don't drive the 3 on long trips so loss of range wasn't a concern. The Tempest wheels I see pictured on the Model S website look a lot better, so if those have covers I might leave them on.

I'm considering upgrading my 2018 Model S sometime next year, that's why I've been looking at the site.

They look very similar to the aero wheels on the 3/Y without the covers.

TBH - at first I couldn't wait to ditch the covers but I've grown to like them. I do have a set of 20" lightweight forged wheels I purchased but haven't put on yet. Mostly because I ended up liking the aero look more than I thought I would. If they were lighter I'd keep them but I want the weight savings of the forged wheels over the heavy stock wheels.

here you go

Attachments

• tempImageMPzBbZ.png
    tempImageMPzBbZ.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 308
Forged aftermarket 19s and factory size rubber (245x45x19) is the way to go - preserves range, adds ride comfort due to beefier sidewall and still looks great. For instance, most BMW M3/M4/M5 factory wheels are forged and weigh less than Tesla 19 wheels - same bolt pattern though you have to get the correct hub centering rings (easily available). BMW wheels also happen to be plentiful in the used/take-off market.

I will be mounting BMW's 437M or 220M wheels on the S shortly with factory size rubber. You do have to get custom Tesla center caps made though :)

Playing around with the order page again today, and now the black interior doesn't change the delivery date. I guess things can change daily.
It may have changed, but in the past, when you order extra cost items, the delivery date is sooner. Go for the base model, and the date extends out. When I tested this about 9 months ago, if you change only the interior color, or go for a premium paint color or 21" wheels, you got a quicker delivery. Makes sense, as extras are more profitable for Tesla (and is true for all car companies). I did notice there were only two delivery dates for a given model. Order every extra and it didn't show a delivery faster than just selecting one extra.