Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Rear Glass Defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had this happen to their S? Suddenly noticed shattered glass at the very top of the rear hatch. As per the photo the epicenter of the shatter is on the edge yet the adjacent glass roof is completely unmarked. This would suggest a material defect.

And this only 3 months after having to replace the windshield after the smallest of road pebbles hit. I've had this car for 10 months and these are the only glass incidents I've had in 40 years of driving.

Makes one question the quality / strength of Tesla glass.

Thx in advance.

Attachments

• glass.jpg
    glass.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 125
That center spot looks like a hit from something. A BB, a bullet, a rock, a hammer. I think it was high speed to cause a small central smashed bit with the accompanying arc like shatter marks. With that sort of hit, no normal automotive glass would have survived undamaged. It is unlikely it’ll be considered a defect in the glass. A defective piece of glass will generally have a simple crack but not the impact pattern seen here. I’m not an expert so you might seek other opinions.

Road rock hits with glass chipping are common in windshields. I’ve never had one but my wife has had several. She likes driving behind trucks. It does no good to talk to her about it so for me, buying windshields is a cost of marriage.

Upvote 0