Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S - Screwed with Summer Tires in New England

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the Boston area and picked up my 2022 Model S in August. Tesla completely screwed me over by giving me Summer Tires while, if you order a new Model S with 21" Arachnid Wheels (My option) today, it states it comes with "All Season Tires". Tesla is unwilling to swap and is giving me the runaround without clear answers. Meanwhile, my car will be un-drivable in the next few weeks as summer tires won't work well below 40F.

Here is my configuration
  • 2x 21X9.5J ET40 Arachnid Wheels
  • 2x 21X10.5J ET45 Arachnid Wheels
  • 2x 265/35R21 101Y XL
  • 2x 295/30R21 102Y XL
The problem is that All Season/Winter Tires are unavailable for the 295/30R21.
What I am looking to see if anybody has any experience with moving from staggered to squared on this model.
Would a move to 265/35R21 on all 4 wheels have any impact on the AWD specifically?

FYI: Since I took delivery of my vehicle in August (12 weeks ago), it has been back at Tesla 3 times, and spent 4 weeks with them for various quality issues including "Passenger safety harness failure" that led to the replacement of the part that was back-ordered. It also includes a repaint of the rear right door and panel. Dropped the car over again yesterday for 3 more weeks to redo the horrible paint job they did the last time and of course they did not have the Paint Protection Film (also backordered).

Almost considering invoking the Massachusetts Lemon Law. What a disaster.

Any help on the Tire question would be helpful.

I am in the Boston area and picked up my 2022 Model S in August. Tesla completely screwed me over by giving me Summer Tires while, if you order a new Model S with 21" Arachnid Wheels (My option) today, it states it comes with "All Season Tires". Tesla is unwilling to swap and is giving me the runaround without clear answers. Meanwhile, my car will be un-drivable in the next few weeks as summer tires won't work well below 40F.

Here is my configuration
  • 2x 21X9.5J ET40 Arachnid Wheels
  • 2x 21X10.5J ET45 Arachnid Wheels
  • 2x 265/35R21 101Y XL
  • 2x 295/30R21 102Y XL
The problem is that All Season/Winter Tires are unavailable for the 295/30R21.
What I am looking to see if anybody has any experience with moving from staggered to squared on this model.
Would a move to 265/35R21 on all 4 wheels have any impact on the AWD specifically?

FYI: Since I took delivery of my vehicle in August (12 weeks ago), it has been back at Tesla 3 times, and spent 4 weeks with them for various quality issues including "Passenger safety harness failure" that led to the replacement of the part that was back-ordered. It also includes a repaint of the rear right door and panel. Dropped the car over again yesterday for 3 more weeks to redo the horrible paint job they did the last time and of course they did not have the Paint Protection Film (also backordered).

Almost considering invoking the Massachusetts Lemon Law. What a disaster.

Any help on the Tire question would be helpful.

I went with a square 20x10 wheel and 285/35r20 pilot sport 4 all seasons. Did great last winter.

Michelin had stated last year that in July and then again in November of 2021, they would have the pilot sport a/s in the OEM sizes. However, now they state they do not have a plan. Would solve a lot of issues if they would just do it.

Upvote 0
Update: Tesla has agreed to swap out my Summer tires with my Winter tires. I will, of course, have to pay for the tires. If I buy the 21" Arachnid Wheels and Winter Tire package, that's $6000. If I just buy the tires from TSportline, they're about $3400 (Without the rims). Tesla sold me the tires for $1900 with no mounting/balancing/installation cost. These are
  • 2x 265/35R21 101Y XL Pirelli P ZERO WINTER Tires
  • 2x 295/30R21 102Y XL Pirelli P ZERO WINTER Tires
The only issue is now I have to head back to a tire shop to mount my Summer Tires next year and then back in the Winter, and the process continues.

They said that even though the New Cars delivered after October 2022 will come with All Seasons, they don't have any All Seasons in stock, and I will need to get them from a 3rd Party....and I have not been able to find any like @Hayseed_MS said...Michelin is non-commital.

Not ideal anyway, but hopefully, in the next couple of years, Michelin or somebody else will have A/S available in these sizes.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Upvote 0
Update: Tesla has agreed to swap out my Summer tires with my Winter tires. I will, of course, have to pay for the tires. If I buy the 21" Arachnid Wheels and Winter Tire package, that's $6000. If I just buy the tires from TSportline, they're about $3400 (Without the rims). Tesla sold me the tires for $1900 with no mounting/balancing/installation cost. These are
  • 2x 265/35R21 101Y XL Pirelli P ZERO WINTER Tires
  • 2x 295/30R21 102Y XL Pirelli P ZERO WINTER Tires
The only issue is now I have to head back to a tire shop to mount my Summer Tires next year and then back in the Winter, and the process continues.

They said that even though the New Cars delivered after October 2022 will come with All Seasons, they don't have any All Seasons in stock, and I will need to get them from a 3rd Party....and I have not been able to find any like @Hayseed_MS said...Michelin is non-commital.

Not ideal anyway, but hopefully, in the next couple of years, Michelin or somebody else will have A/S available in these sizes.
Solve the problem with another set of rims. Swap will be easy and it will stop the wear caused by mounting and re-mounting. Two complete sets is what most swappers have.

Reactions: outdoors
Upvote 0
So I decided to buy another set of rims and add all seasons to them. New England weather isn't what it used to be in the years past. We're seeing 75-degree days in November. I think Winter tires is an overkill. So I bought Tesla OEM 19x9.5 ET40 Wheels. Now its time the All Season Tires.

I am going with 255/45R19's Squared and am conflicted between the following

1) Continental Pro Contact T1 Contisilent - Apparently doesn't do well in Snow.
2) Michelin PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 - Apparently they are very noisy...lots of complaints
3) Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack All-Season Touring - Seems to check all the boxes. Quiet, Does well in Snow, Durable.

Does anybody have experience with Bridgestone? Tesla does not use that as an OEM Tire in any of its cars, but many people have seemed to switch to it and like it.

Upvote 0