Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #27 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed: Consolidation in LiDAR manufacturers; Volvo EX90 shipping with LiDAR; FSD Beta Full Release in N.A.; FSD detecting autopilot cheats, Gwen Shotwell directly overseeing SpaceX Starship; and more. You can watch it now on YouTube. We should have it published to podcast networks shortly.

2022 model S shift control tied to MCU?

One issue I have with my ‘17 S75 is the way that safety systems and controls are dependent on the MCU. When my MCU crashes, I don’t get cameras, directionals, shift indicator, lane departure warnings, collision warnings, speed indicator etc…. Which are all items that matter for safe driving.

I’m looking at a ‘22 model S, and it appears that even more items are dependent on the MCU. The main item that concerns me is use of the touch screen for the P-D-R-N shifter. Imagine your MCU crashes and you not only can’t tell what gear you’re in, but also can’t shift into park if needed. I guess you hold your foot on the brake until you can reboot the MCU?

(This concern is on top of the asinine repeated touch screen reaches requires to parallel park.)

Any insights on how Tesla manages the safety related controls on the new model s would be appreciated. Thanks.
 

pengy

Member
Aug 21, 2021
169
259
CA
Shift indicator is available on the console next to the hazard lights button when mcu is not responding or disabled. You can also manually enable it by pressing and holding any of the buttons (PRND)

Other issues are the same though like any audible alert (signals, blinds pot) are not available when the mcu is restarting. The signals still work though, you just don't know if they're actually on or not.
 
Shift indicator is available on the console next to the hazard lights button when mcu is not responding or disabled. You can also manually enable it by pressing and holding any of the buttons (PRND)

Other issues are the same though like any audible alert (signals, blinds pot) are not available when the mcu is restarting. The signals still work though, you just don't know if they're actually on or not.
Thanks, that’s good to know. Do you prefer shifting on the touch screen or on the console ?
 

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
6,728
10,627
Seattle, WA
And can I assume that the way the system guesses whether you want to go forward or backward isn’t smart enough to handle k turns, parallel parking and getting out of tight spaces? Also, do you need FSD to get the guessing feature?
The guessing is very rudimentary. Mostly it will select forward, but if you've pulled into a garage it will (I assume) use the parking sensors to determine reverse is the optimum. At least it always works for me in my garage. You don't need FSD for this. It won't auto-switch between D and R for getting out of spaces.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ddjohns1

pengy

Member
Aug 21, 2021
169
259
CA
I pulled up to an ATM and had to unlatch seat belt which put the car in park. After I was done I hit the brake first and hit the accelerator without thinking and went backwards a bit 😂
It's OK 80% of the time, sucks the other 20% of the time since you have to constantly check and make sure it's going in the direction you want it to go.

It's the same experience with multi point turns though. I swipe with my finger and assume it actually shifted but there's no physical confirmation. So 80% of the time I can do it quickly, the other 20% I'm either going too fast for it to change from D/R or R/D and it doesn't change or it misses my touch input completely.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wol747 and ddjohns1

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top