Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Sound System Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm rather disappointed in my 2022 Model S LR sound system and subjectively feel that something is wrong with it. It sounds dead and flat compared to the immersive experience I get when sitting in my 2020 Model Y LR. I've had several Tesla Technicians listen to it and they all say it sounds OK to them. Any suggestions on how to get it professionally evaluated by a third party?

I think I need find an audio testing sound track or something designed to isolate the different ranges and channels. Please advise..

Reactions: Leeclanual
One simple thing to do is verify each corner works using balance controls. There are mobile apps that exist that can check polarity.

Also check sound coming out each bass driver and tweeter. And of course the sub. One non working driver can mess things up.

One thing I did notice is the balance is forward biased. I have to slide the balance so the ball is on the backseat but tangent to the front edge. It still sounded very good without doing this. But sounds super with this minor adjustment. I’ve never had to do this in any car or audio system. Center is usually center and it’s obviously a bug. Wonder how many years if ever it will take to get fixed.

I have mine all set flat and the immersion on max. Not auto. DJ off. ANR on. Might try turning ANR off.

51979004995_bbcedd2ab7_b_d.jpg

Upvote 0
With the 2022 S, it sounds better to me than our 2022 Y using the same source material.

Other suggestions above are good. Be aware the upper speakers are only used with immersive options on, and even then they are very low level. You may think they are dead, but more likely they are not active with what you may play through them. The grills in the headliner are microphones, so don't expect any sound from them.

The #1 issue can be the source. Are you listing to XM or via Bluetooth? Both of these are highly compressed and while many are happy with the sounds they are both fairly low quality. A step up is streaming, which is also compressed, but not as much. If you really want to evaluate the audio quality of music, you should use a lossless format. A good choice is taking a CD ripped to a lossless FLAC file.

Rumor is Tesla may add an HD streaming service as well, but nothing is known of what limits it may have or when/if it will occur.

Upvote 0
With the 2022 S, it sounds better to me than our 2022 Y using the same source material.

Other suggestions above are good. Be aware the upper speakers are only used with immersive options on, and even then they are very low level. You may think they are dead, but more likely they are not active with what you may play through them. The grills in the headliner are microphones, so don't expect any sound from them.

The #1 issue can be the source. Are you listing to XM or via Bluetooth? Both of these are highly compressed and while many are happy with the sounds they are both fairly low quality. A step up is streaming, which is also compressed, but not as much. If you really want to evaluate the audio quality of music, you should use a lossless format. A good choice is taking a CD ripped to a lossless FLAC file.

Rumor is Tesla may add an HD streaming service as well, but nothing is known of what limits it may have or when/if it will occur.

Tidal has lossless streaming and can d/l and save on your Tesla via the native app, as long as you pay for premium. That's what I do.

Upvote 0
Tricky to figure out. I don't blast my audio, so I've never pushed it to the limits. Although perhaps less likely, what is your source? Is it lossless FLAC files via the USB, or some source that is highly compressed? It could be the compression distortion is more noticeable at high volume levels.

Reactions: r3nd3r
Upvote 0
im just on the spotify app in the car, no bluetooth.
i just don't remember noticing this much distortion on the high frequencies on my 21' refresh S (previous car) compared to my 22' S

perhaps ill try tidal and see if it's actually a file quality issue rather than hardware related

Upvote 0
No break-in period other than your ears! :)

If you're used to an ICE car, with engine noise, you may have been accustomed to all the other noise and having to raise the volume to overcome that noise. Now that noise is mostly gone and you don't have to blast the volume (which adds distortion), it's "different". Hopefully far better. Enjoy!

Upvote 0