Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Trip Monitor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd appreciate some instructional info about how to use the Trip Monitor on the 2022 MS. There are settings for Current Trip; Since Last Charge; Trip A; Trip B (a total of four settings in addition to the Odometer).

Does the car automatically reset to zero for a Current Trip? Is it based upon Drive and Park? So, if doing errands would it constantly reset when I stop and park?

On Trip A & B, how does this correspond with the Current Trip setting?

Thanks.

...Current Trip; Since Last Charge; Trip A; Trip B (a total of four settings in addition to the Odometer)...
Yes. They are 4 independent trips.

When your car was born, those 4 should be synchronized as 1 single number or very close.

Once, it's in your hand for the first drive, they start to have different numbers.

If you didn't reset the A, B, and "Since Last Charge" they should be all the same because the last charge was the first one from the factory and the numbers all start rolling from then.

That until you start to charge and the number "Since Last Charge" will diverge from A and B.

Does the car automatically reset to zero for a Current Trip?
Yes. it's for the current trip automatically.

Is it based upon Drive and Park?
It starts when you turn on your car and apply the brake pedal. It starts a new drive when you have to do that again turn on your car and apply the brake pedal. You might just park and stay in the car and will continue the same drive but the car might time out and you have to turn on your car and apply the brake pedal. To you, that's not a new drive because you were only resting in park but because the car timed out, it's a new drive because you have turn on your car and apply the brake pedal again.

So, if doing errands would it constantly reset when I stop and park?
That depends on your car status. If you stop and get out of the car, that's a new drive because you have to turn on your car and apply the brake pedal again.

If you stop and the car doesn't time out (the PRND automatically turns off when timed out), then it doesn't reset your number.

See the first answer. They are all independent but they could be the same at some point like at birth, but after that, in some situation, they call can synchronize again:

You just charged your car. You reset both A and B. Now drive: All 4 of them will now have exact same numbers.

Reactions: Mr. Jetson
Upvote 0
I'd appreciate some instructional info about how to use the Trip Monitor on the 2022 MS. There are settings for Current Trip; Since Last Charge; Trip A; Trip B (a total of four settings in addition to the Odometer).

Does the car automatically reset to zero for a Current Trip? Is it based upon Drive and Park? So, if doing errands would it constantly reset when I stop and park?

Thanks.
A & B you reset when ever you want.
Many folks reserve one for lifetime and rename it.

Current trip resets every time you get in and go. Not sure if it’s based on Park or leaving car. Never bothered to check.

Upvote 0
Yes. They are 4 independent trips.

When your car was born, those 4 should be synchronized as 1 single number or very close.

Once, it's in your hand for the first drive, they start to have different numbers.

If you didn't reset the A, B, and "Since Last Charge" they should be all the same because the last charge was the first one from the factory and the numbers all start rolling from then.

That until you start to charge and the number "Since Last Charge" will diverge from A and B.

Yes. it's for the current trip automatically.

It starts when you turn on your car and apply the brake pedal. It starts a new drive when you have to do that again turn on your car and apply the brake pedal. You might just park and stay in the car and will continue the same drive but the car might time out and you have to turn on your car and apply the brake pedal. To you, that's not a new drive because you were only resting in park but because the car timed out, it's a new drive because you have turn on your car and apply the brake pedal again.

That depends on your car status. If you stop and get out of the car, that's a new drive because you have to turn on your car and apply the brake pedal again.

If you stop and the car doesn't time out (the PRND automatically turns off when timed out), then it doesn't reset your number.

See the first answer. They are all independent but they could be the same at some point like at birth, but after that, in some situation, they call can synchronize again:

You just charged your car. You reset both A and B. Now drive: All 4 of them will now have exact same numbers.
Thanks so much. So, how does the system get to Trip B (does it move to trip B after the car times out on Trip A?). And then Trip A and B would have to be reset for subsequent drives? Or would Trip A just accumulate all the Current Drives until reset? If not, Current Drive and Trip A should be the same unless the next drive automatically goes to Trip B. Again, or does it then stop adding to A or B until reset?

Upvote 0
Thanks so much. So, how does the system get to Trip B (does it move to trip B after the car times out on Trip A?).
No
And then Trip A and B would have to be reset for subsequent drives?
No
Or would Trip A just accumulate all the Current Drives until reset?
Yes
If not, Current Drive and Trip A should be the same
If you didn't reset A, then the 2 numbers will diverge and be not the same.

I picked up my car in Fremont and it was 10 miles there. The A was 10 too. The odometer has the same 10 too.

I then reset A to zero and drive. Once I got to my home, the odometer says 210, the A says 200, the Current Trip says 200. Those 2 says the same.

Then I don't reset A for the next drive of 50 miles, the Current Trip would say 50, and the A would say 250. Those 2 are now not the same. They can be the same if I wanted to but I have to reset A to get the same number.
unless the next drive automatically goes to Trip B.
Trip B is just like Trip A. They stay the same and accumulate until you reset one or all of them.
Again, or does it then stop adding to A or B until reset?
I hope you can figure this out by now. If not please rephrase.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much. So, how does the system get to Trip B (does it move to trip B after the car times out on Trip A?). And then Trip A and B would have to be reset for subsequent drives? Or would Trip A just accumulate all the Current Drives until reset? If not, Current Drive and Trip A should be the same unless the next drive automatically goes to Trip B. Again, or does it then stop adding to A or B until reset?
They are all running in parallel. Only when they reset is different.

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion. I get it, except for one last point. Am I correct that the car doesn't automatically move to Trip B after Trip A, but that I would simply use Trip B for that second trip? If so, the confusion stems from thinking that the car automatically follows trips sequentially.
There is no relation between them. They are all independent all clocking miles. Just like the cars I’ve had for the last 20 years.

Trip A and Trip B are just arbitrary names. You might use one for whole trip coast to coast and another for each day. What ever you want.

Upvote 0