Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S VINs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At best, that’s an October build. Maybe even late September. Most of the cars delivering today are mid November builds
A little aggravated.. On their website they never show a year; so when I placed my order a few days ago I was expecting a 2022.. Now I'm slightly depressed. With an MSRP of 147k, and ordering it 1 month before the new year, I'd expect to have a newly manufactured car and not an old one. If only there was a human at Tesla that I could speak to, because right now I've only interacted with my phone through the app.

I'm sure you all have done a lot more research than I have... should I deny delivery? Drive to a local store and ask?

Reactions: jebinc
A little aggravated.. On their website they never show a year; so when I placed my order a few days ago I was expecting a 2022.. Now I'm slightly depressed. With an MSRP of 147k, and ordering it 1 month before the new year, I'd expect to have a newly manufactured car and not an old one. If only there was a human at Tesla that I could speak to, because right now I've only interacted with my phone through the app.

I'm sure you all have done a lot more research than I have... should I deny delivery? Drive to a local store and ask?
Many have asked their SA to unmatch the 2021 vin as they want a 2022. In all cases, they do.

Many have asked their SA to unmatch the 2921 vin as they want a 2022. In all cases, they do.
Forgive my ignorance... What's an SA? Sales Associate? I did it all online, and I haven't spoken to anyone (not even via e-mail). I don't even know what number to call... If you suggest that I call the store that my delivery is supposed to take place at and ask, then I will do that. What a PITA for insurance and all that other stuff though...

Forgive my ignorance... What's an SA? Sales Associate? I did it all online, and I haven't spoken to anyone (not even via e-mail). I don't even know what number to call... If you suggest that I call the store that my delivery is supposed to take place at and ask, then I will do that. What a PITA for insurance and all that other stuff though...
Not sure what it means, really. I just sent a text to the person that reached out via text. You can also call the main Tesla number and get a random SA that can do the same.

Reactions: Cyb_
What did you decide?
He did emphasize that there were absolutely no differences in the years between the two (I take that with a grain of salt); and that it only affects the registration of the car. I told him that I would decide once the car is ready for pick-up and I can see it in person (I've only ever driven a 16/17 Model S 75) and have never seen the new design in person, let alone driven a Plaid one.

If my residual value is affected because of the year of the car (I'm doing a lease) and that is then increasing my payment, then that will be the only reason I'd consider waiting for a 22. I think that seems reasonable.

He did emphasize that there were absolutely no differences in the years between the two (I take that with a grain of salt); and that it only affects the registration of the car. I told him that I would decide once the car is ready for pick-up and I can see it in person (I've only ever driven a 16/17 Model S 75) and have never seen the new design in person, let alone driven a Plaid one.

If my residual value is affected because of the year of the car (I'm doing a lease) and that is then increasing my payment, then that will be the only reason I'd consider waiting for a 22. I think that seems reasonable.
Yes, resale values will be different. Good luck!

I'm confused - I ordered mine on November 27 with Delivery in December 2021; updated delivery winder of December 9 - 15, and my VIN is MF and it's classified as a 2021.. Did I get screwed?
Call at +1 (888) 518-3752, someone might help, i just called and didn't had to wait for too long, done in 9 minutes. Had nothing to do so thought lets call them. Asked them about EDD changes and showing on my app dec 9-31 and he saw on his side that it will be end of December or starting of January. Building your car message makes no sense.

I ordered my white Plaid on 10/26 and my EDD was at first the week of 11/22, then 12/4 and it was a MY21. For some strange reason I got an email that said they updated my VIN and the new VIN is a MY22 and my actual delivery date is 12/10 now. Strange that that happened and I have no idea why but I am happy about it.

Reactions: Cyb_ and kj71109
I ordered my white Plaid on 10/26 and my EDD was at first the week of 11/22, then 12/4 and it was a MY21. For some strange reason I got an email that said they updated my VIN and the new VIN is a MY22 and my actual delivery date is 12/10 now. Strange that that happened and I have no idea why but I am happy about it.
Maybe they sold the 2021 to someone else

well I'm a little upset now and feel a bit deceived by Tesla. First time contacting them, they had no issue putting my reservation "on hold" until i match with a 22 VIN, a few days later i rematch to a 21 VIN, call back explain the same exact thing, they once again say they put a "request to drop the VIN" still three days later, same 21 VIN. I called probably about 3-4 times explaining the situation like they have never heard or read any of the notes on my account. its absolutely astonishing how clueless they act. Today last rep from Tesla i spoke to claimed they had a meeting this morning saying now for people requesting to get their VIN re assigned could now potentially have their reservation canceled and subject to losing their place and re-pricing by Tesla. I find this so unfair as the first few times i spoke to them we were all on the same page, now since some "meeting" this morning everything has changed. I honestly might just take my reservation and re sell it
This is probably a newbie question, I'm new to TMC. Why don't people want 2021 VINs? Is it just because we are in Dec and they'd prefer the newest model they can get or are there documented QC issues with the 21s?

Reactions: Scody88 and jebinc
This is probably a newbie question, I'm new to TMC. Why don't people want 2021 VINs? Is it just because we are in Dec and they'd prefer the newest model they can get or are there documented QC issues with the 21s?
2022 is physically identical to 2021. However, cars lose 30% of their value in their first year, so imagine taking ownership of a car, and just 1 week later it becomes a 1-year-old car. That's why every other manufacturer ships 2022 cars late October / early November - helps keep owners happy.

2022 is physically identical to 2021. However, cars lose 30% of their value in their first year, so imagine taking ownership of a car, and just 1 week later it becomes a 1-year-old car. That's why every other manufacturer ships 2022 cars late October / early November - helps keep owners happy.
Doubt this is true to begin with, but 80K car goes for 95K now,