Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Winter Tire Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered Pirelli P-Zero Winter Staggered from Italy on eBay. $1900 !!!

BTW they are available in Canada but not in the USA.

Tirerack said they won’t have them this year.

Tesla said go square.

Sorry but square doesn’t meet load range and issues discussed above. Not worth the risk to find out who’s right.

Nokian have poor wet braking. Well, roads are more likely wet than snow covered in New England. Nokian also slightly noisier. Pirelli are less efficient. I can deal with that.

So Pirelli is the best snow I can find for my needs.
I just received the tires from Italy.

Man even the 19” tires are crazy wide and low aspect ratio. At first I thought they must be the wrong size. Also can’t believe how light the tires are. Having them mounted Monday.

I must be the only Model S refresh with OEM spec Winter tires. Well they aren’t quite, the are Mercedes spec M01 instead of Tesla T01. But they have the same load range.

Funny too the Euro label on the front tire has efficiency of D but the Rear are C.

Reactions: RyanAndrews
Did the tires come in a big wooden crate?

Capture.JPG

The wheels look great. Have you noticed any additional road noise? I was going back and forth between Michelin X-Ice and Vredestein. I went with X-Ice because they said road noise should be less. Also, I don't have a backup SUV, so I hope these will get me through when needed as long as clearance is good.

I went with Martian MW03 wheels 19x8.5+35 Satin Black and Michelin X-ice 255/45R19XL

I will post some pics after Blu Mobile installs on 11/15.

Reactions: EightYears
The wheels look great. Have you noticed any additional road noise? I was going back and forth between Michelin X-Ice and Vredestein. I went with X-Ice because they said road noise should be less. Also, I don't have a backup SUV, so I hope these will get me through when needed as long as clearance is good.

I went with Martian MW03 wheels 19x8.5+35 Satin Black and Michelin X-ice 255/45R19XL

I will post some pics after Blu Mobile installs on 11/15.
Xice is a great tire. You will not be disappointed. Road noise seems the same. If this was a more dedicated winter driving car I would have opted for xice but have the BMW for the heavier days. Nokian R3s here. Also a great tire.

E64877D5-4A5D-4126-A086-6690D121207D.jpeg

Reactions: RyanAndrews
@spartan0516 Pictures would be great. Good to know about the fitment; the Martian wheels I am considering are 19x8.5 +35.

Thanks
Here you go. Initial impressions of 19" vs 21" (with non-max performance tires) are that it rides a LOT smoother. I didn't notice any additional road noise and can't comment on range since I haven't put enough miles on them yet. But so far so good and they look like they fill up the wheel wells just fine.

Attachments

• 49AC0BD8-E602-417D-889C-6C2F20F84A16.jpeg
    49AC0BD8-E602-417D-889C-6C2F20F84A16.jpeg
    505.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 98851A7C-A20A-4A63-A582-E4FBDBA4385D.jpeg
    98851A7C-A20A-4A63-A582-E4FBDBA4385D.jpeg
    571.2 KB · Views: 113
  • E3F2E7EA-480B-464B-9180-8418A1844498.jpeg
    E3F2E7EA-480B-464B-9180-8418A1844498.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 120
I just got a set of four 19X8.5 RIAL LUGANO OE CAP GRAPHITE SILVER wheels with four 255/45R-19 VREDESTEIN WINTRAC PRO XL from Tire Rack for my '22 MSLR. Full disclosure: I haven't mounted them up or driven on them yet, but I was very surprised at how good they look and they arrived at my house next day ready to mount up! They even came with factory Tesla center caps.
I got the same setup from TireRack. Haven't really challenged them much but seem to be solid. I am mostly surprised by how quiet they are. I expect snows to be a bit noisier but these actually seemed to quieter than the all seasons.

Reactions: spartan0516
@spartan0516 The fit looks great. Thanks for the pics.
I was supposed to have my wheels installed today, but Martian only had 2 and is discontinuing the MW03. I ordered a set of wheels from Tsportline and should have them in a couple of weeks. I could have used them today. It was pretty slick on my way into the office. I will post a pic when I get them installed.

Reactions: spartan0516
Wheels/tires are mounted. Overall I’m happy with how it looks. Way better than the tempest wheel. Have 5 miles on them so hopefully things go well View attachment 870758View attachment 870759
Is there any chance you can provide the details on the wheels and tires you bought, and where you got them from? I have a '22 Model S with 21" wheels and in Massachusetts am concerned aobut trying to get through winter. The folks at Town Fair Tire looked very not-confident when I was trying to work with them on a wheel/snow tire package.

I have a set of the new Pirelli P Zero Winter tires being installed on the OEM 21" wheels this Friday. They are Tesla marked (T0), the electric mark, and the foam. Will see how they do and report back.
Nice - surprised you were able to find them. When I checked yesterday, they were backordered until end of Jan for the 19’s from Tirerack and same with my local Discount Tire. I ended up going with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV’s in Tesla normal 19 sizing. Get them installed next week.

Nice - surprised you were able to find them. When I checked yesterday, they were backordered until end of Jan for the 19’s from Tirerack and same with my local Discount Tire. I ended up going with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV’s in Tesla normal 19 sizing. Get them installed next week.
I got a set of the Tesla spec PZero WInters for the 21" arachnids from 1010tires in early October. Looks like they have the front in stock but the rear is out of stock right now; it was a similar situation in early October, I submitted my email to notify me once in stock, and a few days later it was and I ordered. Pleasantly surprised that even though they are a Canadian company the tires arrived at my doorstep less than 24 hours later! Not too much snow yet here in the Detroit area, but doing great in the cold weather (mid-20s) and we had like a dusting of snow a few days ago.

I had the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 EV’s in regular staggered 19” spec. I swapped out the Pirelli P-Zero electric summer only tires. I have an extra set of Tempest wheels, so I only have to do a simple swap when the seasons change.
My energy usage is slightly better than the Pirelli, but so close, I would call it even. The turn in and overall handling is the same or slightly better in normal driving on the Nokian. Spirited driving, the Pirelli is best, but the Full Winters are no slouch.
The comfort and very low noise, is hands down, better on the Nokian. No bad weather driving yet, so I’ll report back when I do.

Reactions: Pricedm and DBV1

Tried Tesla, Tire Rack, and a couple others. Went to a local place and they made a few calls and found them in a day. The are definitely scarce right now.

Love the 21's, so I am excited to be able to use throughout the year now.

I got the snows mounted yesterday. The 21" wheels definitely look better, but the 19" Tsportlines squared set doesn't look too bad. The ride is quiet and comfortable on Michelin X-Ice tires. Here are the details for reference
  • Wheels Tsportline TSR 19" 19 x 9.5 all 4
  • Tires Michelin X-ice 255/45R19XL
  • Tesla TPMS
  • Satin Black Center Cap & Lug Nut Covers
Big thanks to Blu Mobile Tire. Frank and Jen are easy to work with and were in and out in under 45 minutes. Unbox, mount, balance, and pull the OEM wheels for storage...not too bad. Now I need some snow to test these puppies out.

Snow Tires.jpg

Is there any chance you can provide the details on the wheels and tires you bought, and where you got them from? I have a '22 Model S with 21" wheels and in Massachusetts am concerned aobut trying to get through winter. The folks at Town Fair Tire looked very not-confident when I was trying to work with them on a wheel/snow tire package.
Go to page 1 of this thread and it has all the details.

was getting my car worked on and an old guy had a flat in breckenridge co and had it towed to denver...1 tire got flat and couldnt be repaired and he was charged $400 for 1 oem tire...i was shocked....another guy there with me we talking to the guy and he had 3 flats in the last month and each time discount tire if it couldnt be fixed just replaced for free...and if it was 1 tire and too much tred diff then they would just credit the others depending on mileage but still giving the free tire if cannot be fixed -towards a full set.

I got the same setup from TireRack. Haven't really challenged them much but seem to be solid. I am mostly surprised by how quiet they are. I expect snows to be a bit noisier but these actually seemed to quieter than the all seasons.

I've also been running the Vredestein Wintrac Pros this winter and love them so far. They are great on the snow and quiet on dry pavement. Being a performance winter tire, they handle so much better than the Michelin Xi3 I've run in years past. Excellent price, too.