Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model S Won't Connect to Wi-Fi Where 2016 Would

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not able to connect to my home's wi-fi from my new model S. I park in front of my house where I have access to my neighbors wi-fi on both sides of me. I've had no trouble with my 2016 Model S getting updates. Has something changed in the newer cars? It looks like I need a wifi range extender which I just ordered but could probably cancel if I don't actually need it. Any thoughts, suggestions?

I had to put an extender in to reach my garage, but if your older car connects ok, it seems the new car should be able to. Does the new car see your wifi router? What is the signal level? What is the result of trying to connect? Are you saying the car does not even see your WiFi router?

Upvote 0
I had to put an extender in to reach my garage, but if your older car connects ok, it seems the new car should be able to. Does the new car see your wifi router? What is the signal level? What is the result of trying to connect? Are you saying the car does not even see your WiFi router?
I only saw my router once briefly, last night after many attempts. I just went out and tried it again during day light and saw a different router, only one, and just briefly. A day or two after I got the car, it was telling me it was time for an update. I started the update but I saw the next morning that it had failed. I tried again the next night with no luck. At this point it is not telling me I need to update but when I go to "Software," I see "Update Available" and click on "Connect To Wi-Fi."

Upvote 0
I'd delete any existing connections in WiFi in your car, do a Power Off Reboot, and try again. Unless WiFI is broken in your car, it sounds like a corrupt configuration. I assume you can connect to WiFi using your phone while in the car? Also, if you can see your router in the car, what is the signal strength? IS it low on your phone while in the car?

Upvote 0
I'd delete any existing connections in WiFi in your car, do a Power Off Reboot, and try again. Unless WiFI is broken in your car, it sounds like a corrupt configuration. I assume you can connect to WiFi using your phone while in the car? Also, if you can see your router in the car, what is the signal strength? IS it low on your phone while in the car?
"I'd delete any existing connections in WiFi in your car"
I'm not sure what that means? I am "not" a techie. <grin> I did the reboot, I think? I pressed both scroll wheels until the screens went dark and came back to life. No improvement after that. I am able to connect to wifi using my phone in the car. One night I was able to see my router briefly showing one or two of three possible bars on the triangle/curved icon before I would lose it repeatedly. When testing the two cars in the identical spot on my driveway, the old car sees 15 or 20 routers and the new car might see one or two but rarely mine. In the new car I'm seeing three bars while the phone shows two bars. During the test of the two different cars, the old car showed one bar and the new car showed four bars.
I appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
Delete existing connections by clicking the WiFi symbol, Click WiFi Settings, Click any existing network on left side of the window, click Forget Network. This deletes the existing network connection. After the Power Off Reboot, you will need to click the WiFi symbol, search for your router's network again, and hopefully add the network with your password.

Power Off Reboot - You will be in the car for 3 to 5 minutes. Don't touch the brake pedal, anything else, or open the door until the reboot completes, or this will power the car back on. You will hear some things clicking off a couple of minutes after you start this process.
  • Power Off/On: Under Vehicle Controls -> Safety and Security > Power Off (wait 2-3 minutes before pressing the Brake, opening door, or touching any buttons).

Upvote 0
Delete existing connections by clicking the WiFi symbol, Click WiFi Settings, Click any existing network on left side of the window, click Forget Network. This deletes the existing network connection. After the Power Off Reboot, you will need to click the WiFi symbol, search for your router's network again, and hopefully add the network with your password.

Power Off Reboot - You will be in the car for 3 to 5 minutes. Don't touch the brake pedal, anything else, or open the door until the reboot completes, or this will power the car back on. You will hear some things clicking off a couple of minutes after you start this process.
  • Power Off/On: Under Vehicle Controls -> Safety and Security > Power Off (wait 2-3 minutes before pressing the Brake, opening door, or touching any buttons).
I followed your instructions and still no luck. I hooked up the new Wi-Fi extender and finally made my connection from the new car to my router. I think it took me at least two or three hours to get the extender working. Nothing like being an old, non techie in a "technical" world. Fortunately there are people like you that help us old farts on or way! I still have to wonder if there isn't something wrong with the car?
Thank you very much for your help Dave!

Upvote 0