Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - 22'' Turbine Wheels (Spotted Pics vs Configurator)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a few videos and photos showing Plaid Model X with some odd looking wheels and a fair number of comments trying to understand the design and "bumps" seen towards the edge of the rom on each spoke. When I look at the bumps on wheels of the spotted cars and compare these to the pics in the configurator I think I can explain what we are looking at, though I am not entirely sure how things will work / come together just yet.

The bumps look to coincide with what I would describe as aero "fill-ins" between each spoke in the photos from the configurator. Could these aero "fill-ins" be designed to work similarly to the center caps we see on wheels and might they be removable? Perhaps this gives the wheel a more aerodynamic advantage but also provides an ability to remove them for a different appearance like the aero wheel covers on the 3 and y?

Compare attached pics and let me know what you think?
2022modelxwheelspot.png

2022modelxwheelconfig.png

It's the internet. Sometimes people just want to pick a fight over nothing. So apologies in advance. But I look at those pictures and can't figure out how you arrive at a 'single plastic ring'. I see ten discrete inserts.

Totally agree it actually looks worse without the aero filler material no matter how it's constructed. Which was not the consensus when people took the stock aero covers off the 3. Or the Y.

I could live with these. All the motion blur stock photography on Tesla.com looks kinda cool with the aero ring, at least to my eyes.

Attachments

• 4789E32A-33E8-45DC-B500-1E088F74DE57.jpeg
    4789E32A-33E8-45DC-B500-1E088F74DE57.jpeg
    726.1 KB · Views: 207
It's the internet. Sometimes people just want to pick a fight over nothing. So apologies in advance. But I look at those pictures and can't figure out how you arrive at a 'single plastic ring'. I see ten discrete inserts.

Totally agree it actually looks worse without the aero filler material no matter how it's constructed. Which was not the consensus when people took the stock aero covers off the 3. Or the Y.

I could live with these. All the motion blur stock photography on Tesla.com looks kinda cool with the aero ring, at least to my eyes.
I came to the idea that it would be a single plastic ring installed from the back simply because I think it would be far too easy for these things to fly out. Individual pieces installed from the front seems ridiculously tedious from an installation standpoint.

I came to the idea that it would be a single plastic ring installed from the back simply because I think it would be far too easy for these things to fly out. Individual pieces installed from the front seems ridiculously tedious from an installation standpoint.
I just bought (used) a set of 22" New Turbine wheels for my Plaid and didn't realize they were missing. The insert kit is $200 so I ordered them. It was funny, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the wheels looked different than the website. Now I know...

Reactions: Mako11
I just bought (used) a set of 22" New Turbine wheels for my Plaid and didn't realize they were missing. The insert kit is $200 so I ordered them. It was funny, I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the wheels looked different than the website. Now I know...
are you kiddddding $200 for plastic that should of came with the wheels to begin with? Come on tesla this is a joke

They are indeed individual pieces installed from the front. Very snug fit. Very hideous job for the owner to install after delivery. They should attach this note when ordering the car w/ the 22” wheels - Some assembly required after delivery.

• Funny
Reactions: Mako11
Hi, where did you buy the aero insert kit from? I need a couple of replacements as the clips were bent when I received them, but cannot find them anywhere. Thank you.

New Owner of Model X with those turbine wheels here. Just discovered the uninstalled plastic inserts in the frunk in a box. They look a lot easier to remove than install. How do you put them in? Rubber mallet? Any manual or video? There's one on the internet where the owner removes them. Just don't want to screw up the wheels putting them in.

New Owner of Model X with those turbine wheels here. Just discovered the uninstalled plastic inserts in the frunk in a box. They look a lot easier to remove than install. How do you put them in? Rubber mallet? Any manual or video? There's one on the internet where the owner removes them. Just don't want to screw up the wheels putting them in.
No tools needed. They just snap into place. And pop out if needed. All by hand. It feels like a lot of resistance but it’s not really.

My wheels are powder coated black and the clips have not scratched them. But the clips may scratch the stock finish, I’m not sure.