Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X and Pet Transport - Tips And Buying Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

We previously owned a 2016 6-seater Model X. Gave it up over the pandemic to buy a 2022 5-seater...and waited. And waited. Our 5-seater arrived at the end of April and we've been off to the races ever since. We have 4 large dogs. We loved the 6-seater, but opted for the 5-seater this go round because it's really all we need, and we prefer the space - especially with four big pooches!

I haven't seen a lot of information posted on protecting the cargo area for pets in the 2022 and beyond X - I wanted to share our experiences and pay it forward for others looking.

There are three parts of our setup that I can wholeheartedly recommend:

1. The pet barrier behind the second row of seating.

I recommend the Bushwacker 50" pet barrier - it's typically ~$100 at Amazon.

We used this for the 2016 X, and it still fits well in the 2022, although slightly more snug - which for us was a good thing. This pet barrier will definitely obstruct your use of the rearview mirror, so do keep that in mind. We use the rear camera to compensate, but everyone's situation is a bit different.

2. Cargo area liners.

I recommend the Canvasback cargo liner for the Model X.

It will say 2021, but I believe it covers the 2022 model year as well - though you should email them to make sure. When we bought it a few weeks ago it did say 2022...it now says through the 2021 model year. They didn't have a template/pattern for the 2022 yet and we sent them a couple of pictures - after a few measurements they were able to create the template for the 5-seater 2022 X and they fit perfectly. In our case, we got the full monty of cargo liner, bumper flap, back hatch, and cargo side pieces. It can get pricey - $3-500, depending on which options you pick. However - the result is a set of liners that fit perfectly on almost every surface in the cargo area, which is especially useful for dogs. I would not skimp on the add-ons, personally - especially the bumper flap. Then again...we're anal about this stuff. :)

3. Trunk liner.

I recommend the Tesla Model X Trunk Liner. Yes, it doesn't explicitly cover the 2022 model year - for the five-seater Model X, it is very very very close to a perfect fit, and works quite well for us. If/when Tesla comes out with a 2022 version, we'll probably upgrade to that one. I believe these are actually OEMed by WeatherTech and private-labeled to Tesla, if memory serves.

Why do we use both Canvasbacks and the Tesla trunk liner? Because we're anal. The Canvasbacks provide great protection from the dog hair and scratches / abuse from the dogs...but the actual trunk floor is where most of the abuse is going to happen and we wanted to ensure the dogs had a good grippy surface to stand/lay on, and provide an extra bit of additional protection for the floors.

Our setup is: the Canvasbacks are placed over all the surfaces in the trunk area (floor, sides, back hatch, etc). We think of it as PPF for the trunk, essentially. :) Then we put the Tesla trunk liner over it.

I hope this helps others who may be in similar situations who are trying to figure out what the early days of this new iteration of the X is like for our pets. I know there aren't many aftermarket options that are available yet that are specific to the 2022 X, and wanted to provide the benefit of our experience and real-world learning. I couldn't recommend the above three items, in combination, more.

It's been a perfect mix of protection, utility, and clean lines for us, without unnecessary bulk or things that just don't fit.

Some notes:

1. As I said above, the pet barrier will further obstruct your rearview mirror visibility - do keep that in mind.
2. Canvasback can be a pricey product, but we have found both on our 2016 and now on our 2022 that it's an incredibly durable solution that stands the test of time and abuse by very active dogs. Well worth the cost in my mind.
3. Arguably the X trunk liner is overkill, but we needed it because, again, we're anal...and the Canvasback tends to be a bit more slippery and not particularly grippy for the dogs...and the pooches had trouble remaining stable at times on it. With the X trunk liner in place, it's been a great solve for the problem.

Hope this helps folks and happy to answer questions or provide insight to others.

Love this.

Do you have any specific recommendations for the 6 seater? I’ve got a 100lb lab that I’m trying to figure out a solution for.

I know I want some kind of a seat belt/harness situation for sure. Just not sure what yet.

Maybe something that clips into the seat belt of the 3rd row? Or fold down the 3rd row and attach a carabiner to the LATCH points on the back and clip that onto his harness?

@fetar30310 We essentially did the same thing on our 2016 Model X 6-seater when we had it. We just adapted and updated what we did for our 2022 5-seater. The Bushwacker should work just fine for the 6-seater, though admittedly we don’t have one to test it on. That said…Amazon has a great return policy. :)

Canvasback - you might need to work with them to get them a couple of measurements if they don’t already have a template for the 6-seater 2022.

Tesla trunk liner - I genuinely have no idea…

Hope this helps.

Reactions: fetar30310