Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X at 60 days… all good!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked the X up in June from Kennesaw GA which is a story in itself. It was one huge clusterF after another with that place. However, the X with a minor front panel adjustment has been so far a great SUV. Some enhanced wear on the inner portion of the rear tires but that seems to be about it. Suspension is set to Low which is what I gather from reading here the preferred setting for longest tire wear. In the two months the 4500 plus miles have been worry free. Most driving is fairly hilly so I think the Wh/mi value is decent.

8C013D5D-8700-410A-B7A5-145FA21930AE.jpeg

This is my first EV and I am very happy with it at this point. The build quality is so-so as most have said but the general driving has been very nice. Tesla’s are definitely not a super car by any means but the acceleration is immense with the handling suffering a bit in the corners. The brakes are adequate but without the regen portion would be scary IMO. All in all though I dont think I have driven more than 500 miles in any other cars combined in the last two months. It is a perfect go-to car for me.

54B53C18-5903-4F8B-992C-6983BF6B9AF6.jpeg

That seems like a good lifetime average for Plaid. I can manage 300 wh / mile on long freeway trips in my MXP if I'm being careful and keeping it at 70 but it's much higher around town.

What are you seeing on freeway only trips for wh / mile?

Also, does your Plaid pull to the left or right during hard acceleration and if so, does the issue entirely vanish if you enable dragstrip mode?

Also, if you can remember, make sure to set suspension to very low or use launch mode when doing hard launches from a stop to prevent destroying your cv joints...then raise it back up to low when you're no longer going to be doing hard launches from a stop.

If you use launch control instead, it will lower the front all the way anyways but you have to turn dragstrip mode on although you don't have to wait for it to warm up to use cheetah stance so you can enable, launch, and then disable it immediately if you're not trying to warm up the battery for maximum acceleration.

Last edited:
Picked the X up in June from Kennesaw GA which is a story in itself. It was one huge clusterF after another with that place. However, the X with a minor front panel adjustment has been so far a great SUV. Some enhanced wear on the inner portion of the rear tires but that seems to be about it. Suspension is set to Low which is what I gather from reading here the preferred setting for longest tire wear. In the two months the 4500 plus miles have been worry free. Most driving is fairly hilly so I think the Wh/mi value is decent.
Your energy burn seems a bit excessive to me. Here is what I am seeing.

IMG_7331.jpg

I have the 22” wheels. As for Plaid mode… I have to confess I have never turned that mode on :oops:. From the start I have been trying to get through the FSD safety course so I have left it in Sport. It’s not that I havent done pulls but they have all been done in Sport. There has been no pulling left or right under hard acceleration in Sport that I have noticed. After reading about some of the troubles that seem to show up with half shafts etc I just use the X as a fast daily commuter car, about 90-110 miles a day.

I have the 22” wheels. As for Plaid mode… I have to confess I have never turned that mode on :oops:. From the start I have been trying to get through the FSD safety course so I have left it in Sport. It’s not that I havent done pulls but they have all been done in Sport. There has been no pulling left or right under hard acceleration in Sport that I have noticed. After reading about some of the troubles that seem to show up with half shafts etc I just use the X as a fast daily commuter car, about 90-110 miles a day.

Plaid mode won't increase usage unless you're actually using the power that comes with it. The Plaid with 22" wheels is 311 wh / mile rated so you're doing very well. It's about the same as me except that I'm on 20" wheels so I should be doing better. Hopefully dialing in the alignment will help.

My commute is heavy stop and go through hilly terrain if that may explain the energy burn a little?

It depends on driving style on the type of stop and go. If you're average speed is low and you're not using the physical brakes, then you're hilly stop and go can actually be way more efficient than freeway driving. I'd be more interested in a trip on the freeway flat out with no wind at 70 mph.

So 20" wheels on LR is 276 wh / mile rated which is 35 wh / mile more efficient than Plaid with 22, so @IXIXI is doing better than @DCGOO in overall efficiency.

That said, BOTH look awesome and are better than what I'm achieving and I got typically 270 to 280 on the freeway in my P85D which has a 310 wh / mile rating. I was hoping I'd do relatively similar in my X. Hopefully once the alignment is truly dialed in.

His is a Plaid. Yours in an LR.

Plus your longest sample is only 422 miles. If I leave my vacation house in the mountains and drive home, my average for the entire trip is is less than 200. What's your lifetime on the 1774?
Plaid’s are not significantly less efficient than the LR under the same conditions. I‘ve had mine since June 20. I had consumptions like his when it was brand new, until I had a wheel alignment perform, that made an enormous improvement. But yes, if he is running w 22-inch wheels, that could easily account for energy increase.

I too am trying to nurse the thing along to maintain a 100 score. I sure hope the FSD gods drop something on me soon. I had FSD Beta on my 2018 for nearly a year

Plaid’s are not significantly less efficient than the LR under the same conditions. I‘ve had mine since June 20. I had consumptions like his when it was brand new, until I had a wheel alignment perform, that made an enormous improvement. But yes, if he is running w 22-inch wheels, that could easily account for energy increase.

I too am trying to nurse the thing along to maintain a 100 score. I sure hope the FSD gods drop something on me soon. I had FSD Beta on my 2018 for nearly a year
Agreed. Even 35 wh / mile difference isn't huge. But I was just pointing out that your difference on a 422 mile trip vs his on a 4583 mile trip is 33 wh / mile so relative to his larger wheel size AND plaid platform, he's technically doing about 2 wh / mile better than the 35 wh / mile rated difference. ;)

Any chance you could post your alignment sheet?

Agreed. Even 35 wh / mile difference isn't huge. But I was just pointing out that your difference on a 422 mile trip vs his on a 4583 mile trip is 33 wh / mile so relative to his larger wheel size AND plaid platform, he's technically doing about 2 wh / mile better than the 35 wh / mile rated difference. ;)

Any chance you could post your alignment sheet?
Here is the final alignment, they did not give me a before version.

alignment.jpg

Question of the vegan leather seats in your plaid. Do they have any creases/cracks in them? I just got my Plaid X and the seats look pretty bad

Attachments

• 3E84A6AB-3F90-41C0-BAD1-84E09A0F321A.jpeg
    3E84A6AB-3F90-41C0-BAD1-84E09A0F321A.jpeg
    335.4 KB · Views: 73
  • E7D3A4AB-262C-44D3-858C-5EF27360EB3E.jpeg
    E7D3A4AB-262C-44D3-858C-5EF27360EB3E.jpeg
    621.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 048481E7-D6C9-40FD-90E6-601AAE6111AA.jpeg
    048481E7-D6C9-40FD-90E6-601AAE6111AA.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 57
I hope this isn’t a dumb question…. Can a normal wheel shop do the alignment on a Tesla?

Yes, although there are stories from those that claim they can't. Plaid is a concern since it has torque vectoring and steering wheel must be at dead center. Tesla just sets wheel manually to be straight but after the alignment, they reset the auto calibrate function which figures out dead center after 100 miles of driving.