Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X front doors difference versus 2021 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bet half the issues are the phone not setup right. Let me guess Android phones?

I never use that stupid auto open feature on my Raven. I find I fight with the doors about as much as they assist. Prefer they just didn’t have that option. And when they do close under motorized control watch out. They slam pretty good.

Just upgraded to 2022.4.5 last night and Auto-Closing now works on my 2022 Model X!

Anyone else seeing this change with that software update?

My current status for my 2022 Model X:
a) Auto-Opening (when you approach the vehicle with your logged in phone or key fob) works about HALF the time (UPDATE: Going to bring my key fob with me every time I use the car now, perhaps it's because I was always using my iPhone and not the key fob - thanks chudiddy for the suggestion!)
b) Auto-Closing (when the door is open and you walk away from the vehicle at the door closes for you) has NEVER worked (UPDATE: Now it ALWAYS works!)
c) Soft-Closing (when you push an open door lightly towards the vehicle and the vehicle essentially takes the door and lightly closes it the rest of the way for you) has NEVER worked
d) Auto-Locking ALWAYS works

So, I have a 2021 Model X and the auto-opening, auto-closing, soft-closing and auto-locking on the driver and front passenger doors work perfectly.

I just received delivery of my 2022 Model X and SO much appears to have changed with these doors.

On the 2022 Model X:
a) Auto-Opening (when you approach the vehicle with your logged in phone or key fob) works about HALF the time
b) Auto-Closing (when the door is open and you walk away from the vehicle at the door closes for you) has NEVER worked
c) Soft-Closing (when you push an open door lightly towards the vehicle and the vehicle essentially takes the door and lightly closes it the rest of the way for you) has NEVER worked

For those of you with 2022 Model Xs, is this just the way the driver and front passenger doors work now? Seems like a pretty huge downgrade to me for such an expensive vehicle, but maybe I'm missing something.

And for the record, I do have the same door settings set on both vehicles...Walk-Away Door Lock and Walk-up Unlock are both set to ON on both vehicles.

Any input here is appreciated!
I don’t have the issues you mentioned. My doors open perfectly and sometimes unwanted as I walk by bringing the garbage cans in 😂. The only issue I have is the auto close when the door is barely open. Appears the new doors heft (which I like) are too heavy for the motor to close now when slightly ajar.but I can close it partially and soft close takes care of the rest. Or I can swing the door open more and then auto close works. You may need a service appointment

• Informative
Reactions: John in LB
I know. I was just piling onto your comment. We have owned both model 3 and X. The X does have some nice touches the close-on brake is not one of them.

And yet, that’s one of my favorite features about the X. I love being about to click the fob and shut all the doors at once. When I drive the 3, I’m constantly stepping on the brake looking for my door to shut.

Had a good ice storm the other day. Took some coaxing to get the 3’s door opened. The X engaged its automatic ice breaker and popped right open. That was awesome.

Different things for different folks, certainly!

And yet, that’s one of my favorite features about the X. I love being about to click the fob and shut all the doors at once. When I drive the 3, I’m constantly stepping on the brake looking for my door to shut.

Had a good ice storm the other day. Took some coaxing to get the 3’s door opened. The X engaged its automatic ice breaker and popped right open. That was awesome.

Different things for different folks, certainly!
Ice? We can't even get rain this winter. :(

• Funny
Reactions: sorka
Folks that took delivery in 2016/2017 had issues that took years to work through.. hence your 2021 is ‘perfect’. Thanks to folks like you and your dedication to going to the service repeatedly over the next 2 years for all the issues, the 2024 X will also be ‘perfect’.. thanks in advance
Better then waiting half a decade to never on an OEM product. I have lot of experience in that department. Then again after the first year of most OEM products you want something better anyways.

Just upgraded to 2022.4.5 last night and Auto-Closing now works on my 2022 Model X!

Anyone else seeing this change with that software update?

My current status for my 2022 Model X:
a) Auto-Opening (when you approach the vehicle with your logged in phone or key fob) works about HALF the time (UPDATE: Going to bring my key fob with me every time I use the car now, perhaps it's because I was always using my iPhone and not the key fob - thanks chudiddy for the suggestion!)
b) Auto-Closing (when the door is open and you walk away from the vehicle at the door closes for you) has NEVER worked (UPDATE: Now it ALWAYS works!)
One other thing you can check is to ensure you have your location settings set the Always for your Tesla App. This is mentioned in Phone Key section -> Step #4 in the Model X Owner's Manual.

I bet half the issues are the phone not setup right. Let me guess Android phones?

I never use that stupid auto open feature on my Raven. I find I fight with the doors about as much as they assist. Prefer they just didn’t have that option. And when they do close under motorized control watch out. They slam pretty good.
My auto open and close is pretty perfect-- works about 98% of the time with the fob in my 2018. Hoping my '22 will be the same when it finally arrives. I don't plan on not using the fob since I like to quickly be able to open the FWD's.

Your car is broken. But if you would like to fix it, you can open a ticket in the Tesla app on your phone, any time of the day or night.

So let me get this straight - I go into my Tesla app, open a ticket, and any time day or night, and my problem will magically be fixed? You sure about that? Seriously guy, if you don't own a refreshed X, don't bother commenting. You're wasting your time and ours. This forum is to share experience - and mine is similar to the OP's as my week old Plaid X has the identical issue the OP is describing.

When taking delivery, I went to manually close the drivers door and (inadvertently) noticed it didn't latch. I grabbed the key out of my pocket and pressed the lock button and no dice. The new doors are much heavier than the old, so when manually closing the door, it takes a much stronger push. I then purposely repeated the behavior intentionally on the passenger door and nothing - then again on the driver's door - again nothing. Then I opened the door further - and the autoclose feature worked. My 2018 X P100D had no problems at all with this behavior so I pulled a Tesla rep out to show him, he said "oh yeah, we've been seeing that, right now it's normal and no fix".

Essentially all the new X's he's seeing are exhibiting same behavior. The problem seems to be in the auto close door hinges - which can be hopefully rectified with some software coding.

• Helpful
So let me get this straight - I go into my Tesla app, open a ticket, and any time day or night, and my problem will magically be fixed? You sure about that? Seriously guy, if you don't own a refreshed X, don't bother commenting. You're wasting your time and ours. This forum is to share experience - and mine is similar to the OP's as my week old Plaid X has the identical issue the OP is describing.

When taking delivery, I went to manually close the drivers door and (inadvertently) noticed it didn't latch. I grabbed the key out of my pocket and pressed the lock button and no dice. The new doors are much heavier than the old, so when manually closing the door, it takes a much stronger push. I then purposely repeated the behavior intentionally on the passenger door and nothing - then again on the driver's door - again nothing. Then I opened the door further - and the autoclose feature worked. My 2018 X P100D had no problems at all with this behavior so I pulled a Tesla rep out to show him, he said "oh yeah, we've been seeing that, right now it's normal and no fix".

Essentially all the new X's he's seeing are exhibiting same behavior. The problem seems to be in the auto close door hinges - which can be hopefully rectified with some software coding.
I think the mechanism will need to be replaced. It’s not strong enough with the new door heft