Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X front doors difference versus 2021 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially, I felt that the auto open didn’t work as well using an iPhone as a key compared to the key fob. However, the more I use it, it does seem to work almost perfectly. Maybe still not slightly as accurate as the key fob, but pretty close. The only reason I’m still considering using the fob is that I like being able to just reach in my pocket and click the button to shut all the doors as I walk away. The auto close function does work fine, but I like being able to close the doors sooner than the auto close function activates. When I let auto close work in a public place, pretty sure people think I forgot to close my doors while I walk away.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that the front doors on the refresh seem significantly more difficult to close manually than on the older X’s? On my 2018 X, I could just lightly push the door and it would close enough to engage the soft close mechanism. With the new front doors, driver and passenger, you have to really remember to shut the door with some force, or else it doesn’t close enough to engage the soft close. Best way that I can describe it was the old doors felt like normal car doors, and the new ones feel like doors that are supposed to be opened and closed electronically, and you have to really push to override the electronic mechanism manually.

On another note, has anyone else noticed that the front doors on the refresh seem significantly more difficult to close manually than on the older X’s? On my 2018 X, I could just lightly push the door and it would close enough to engage the soft close mechanism. With the new front doors, driver and passenger, you have to really remember to shut the door with some force, or else it doesn’t close enough to engage the soft close. Best way that I can describe it was the old doors felt like normal car doors, and the new ones feel like doors that are supposed to be opened and closed electronically, and you have to really push to override the electronic mechanism manually.
Yes, same behavior here on my Plaid X. I spoke with a Tesla rep at delivery because the door wouldn't autoclose - it needed to be opened further to use autoclose if that makes any sense - in another words, if you don't quite close it, or it's just about ready to latch but doesn't for whatever reason, the autoclose won't work. The rep advised this is normal behavior and that the door closing motors are new and more robust than the old ones - likely due to the dual-paned glass. It's quite disappointing because I'm not really using autoclose on the Plaid now - and so used to using it on my previous X.

🤣🤣🤣

You know, I think my goal in all this is, if this is just the way 2022 Model X doors are supposed to work, then I would like to try and get from Tesla written documentation that features that were on the 2021 Model X (auto-close, soft close, etc) have been officially REMOVED on the 2022 Model X. I'm very frustrated, but okay if that's the case. I just want to at least inform the community of these changes so people know what to expect when purchasing a Model X. By the way, my service appt has been booked for Tuesday. Fingers crossed my doors are actually acting abnormally and they can fix them.
This also drives me crazy. The doors are very hard to close. I was told the door of the refresh is entirely different and it is what it is. Did you hear anything different?

This also drives me crazy. The doors are very hard to close. I was told the door of the refresh is entirely different and it is what it is. Did you hear anything different?
I actually just got my 2022 Model X back from the Tesla Service Center yesterday and they confirmed that Tesla is aware of the 2022 Model X driver door and front passenger door problems we have all been experiencing and have acknowledged them as being known problems. My service center actually had two other 2022 Model Xs in the shop and they were able to replicate the "driver's door doesn't auto-close when it is barely open" issue and the "soft close feature on the driver's and front passenger's door doesn't work as smoothly as it did in the 2021 Model X" issue that I have been facing.

The good news here is that they said that they have been asked by Tesla to ask owners of 2022 Model Xs experiencing these issues to wait 60 days to "let the doors wear in a bit" and then, if they are still experiencing these issues, to bring their Model X to a Service Center and they will "see what they can do at that time".

My guess is these issues will not be solved the day I bring my 2022 Model X back into the shop in about 25 days or so, but the fact that these issues have been acknowledged by Tesla, I think, means that there is some real hope they will be addressed eventually. Whether it's a software update or a stronger motor for the doors that they install for us that will do the trick, I don't know, but hopefully it will addressed relatively soon whatever method they choose to fix these issues.

Reactions: Singularity
Just picked up a 2022 Model X after a wait of 14 months.
Was really surprised that the driver's door does not auto close like my 2019 X.
Is this normal? Is it a misalignment issue? Has Tesla taken features away?
Also where is the navigation bar to type addresses? Voice commands work but still want to know where it is.
The turn signals are easy to get used to....the Yoke is far tougher .
They need to get auto detect of Reverse and Drive out of Beta. Looks like a useful feature.
The homelink took longer to set up than earlier X's. Had problems connecting.
Interior is stunning. Have only driven 4 miles so further adventures await.

Reactions: n.one.one
My door will open on approach, and close when brake is applied.....just like in the Video.
Issue is...... all X's I've seen in past auto close after a short while when you exit the car and leave the door ajar.
But not this one.
It's a feature I use and like.
Also, anyone know how to add to a service request that is active?

• Informative
Reactions: n.one.one
So, I have a 2021 Model X and the auto-opening, auto-closing, soft-closing and auto-locking on the driver and front passenger doors work perfectly.

I just received delivery of my 2022 Model X and SO much appears to have changed with these doors.

On the 2022 Model X:
a) Auto-Opening (when you approach the vehicle with your logged in phone or key fob) works about HALF the time
b) Auto-Closing (when the door is open and you walk away from the vehicle at the door closes for you) has NEVER worked
c) Soft-Closing (when you push an open door lightly towards the vehicle and the vehicle essentially takes the door and lightly closes it the rest of the way for you) has NEVER worked
d) Auto-Locking ALWAYS works

For those of you with 2022 Model Xs, is this just the way the driver and front passenger doors work now? Seems like a pretty huge downgrade to me for such an expensive vehicle, but maybe I'm missing something.

And for the record, I do have the same door settings set on both vehicles...Walk-Away Door Lock and Walk-up Unlock are both set to ON on both vehicles.

Any input here is appreciated!
Hey - I have problems as well with the 2022 falcon wing doors. The car has been in service for over 25 days now and they are trying to figure out what to do. Pretty dissapointing.

We took delivery of our Model X plaid and immediately had issues with the driver's side door.
The door opens on its own, we are no where near the vehicle but have noticed that the app says connected. (We are at least 25' away, and have a wall between us)
I have never been moving in the direction of the vehicle when the door decides to open. It feels like a software issue to me ( I'm no expert but the door doesn't open when we are not connected to the car via our phone)

Just picked up a 2022 Model X after a wait of 14 months.
Was really surprised that the driver's door does not auto close like my 2019 X.
Is this normal? Is it a misalignment issue? Has Tesla taken features away?
Also where is the navigation bar to type addresses? Voice commands work but still want to know where it is.
The turn signals are easy to get used to....the Yoke is far tougher .
They need to get auto detect of Reverse and Drive out of Beta. Looks like a useful feature.
The homelink took longer to set up than earlier X's. Had problems connecting.
Interior is stunning. Have only driven 4 miles so further adventures await.
We have a 2019 Model X performance as well, the door works perfectly. I had the same issue when we got our 2022 plaid Model X , there is a setting in the falcon door settings that has to be on to open when you walk up.
I'd be curious to see if you have the same issue as we are seeing. Now the door opens when we are over 25' away.

I have the same issue with my new plaid. The driver and passenger door take a noticeable more amount of force to close compared to my 2018 X performance. I hope the service guy is right and they will "break in" over the next month.

BTW - My new S plaid has a problem passenger door handle.

I have the same issues on a 2022 LR. Much degraded doors compared to 2017 X. In order of annoyance:

1) doors auto open but rarely auto close after I walk away. I’ve come back surprised to find them open in public multiple times after they inadvertently opened (maybe we walked by too closely or something). Super annoying.

2) If I check in the app and a door is open, force close does nothing.

3) extra strength required to close doors - only slightly annoying, but especially when they’re barely opened so they need to be opened more and then closed.

Pretty bummed because this is one of my favorite features on the car. I took it in for service in Jan and they blamed the rubber door seal / fit and said there was no room to make adjustments.

I’m heartened by the mention above that Tesla is aware and some service centers think there could be resolution coming. So far they just told me to turn off auto presenting doors, which just makes me sad.

We took delivery of our Model X plaid and immediately had issues with the driver's side door.
The door opens on its own, we are no where near the vehicle but have noticed that the app says connected. (We are at least 25' away, and have a wall between us)
I have never been moving in the direction of the vehicle when the door decides to open. It feels like a software issue to me ( I'm no expert but the door doesn't open when we are not connected to the car via our phone)
Is the key fob in your pocket? It can get accidentally pushed by coins, keys, etc. in a pocket, purse, or backpack. Many people buy guards to reduce the frequency of accidental openings by fob presses.

Is the key fob in your pocket? It can get accidentally pushed by coins, keys, etc. in a pocket, purse, or backpack. Many people buy guards to reduce the frequency of accidental openings by fob presses.
I forgot about that. You MUST put a “cage” around Tesla FOB’s. MUST. We had the same problem and the cages solved it. Should be a bunch on Amazon. Not sure if the FOB changed size. I have not bothered to carry FOB for my S. The phone works fantastic. The convenience of just using the phone is 10x the convenience of the FOB.

Got this since day one for both mine and wife (in rose gold color)

FB105562-FA3E-4230-BBDC-6B14C9239A34.jpeg

Reactions: mswlogo