Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - Interior Noise / Rattling / Crackling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all - I'm new to the forum but I have searched in advance for this issue.

I took delivery on a 2022 Model X a few months ago. There was a host of issues that we wanted to get resolved but one is particularly annoying for a ~145k car. The inside of my car has a tremendous amount of rattling and creaking noises when driving. It is worse on city streets than it is on the highway but the issue is present for both situations. It is so annoying that I am considering selling the Model X.

I have taken the car to Tesla Tampa's service center multiple times without any success in addressing the issues. They're quite useless. They tell me that some rattle is normal for EVs... but I have driven in multiple model S,3, Ys... I just refuse to accept this. I have narrowed much of the noise down to the side panels of the second and third rows. The car seems very put together very cheaply... almost like it was 3D printed. Anyways, here is the video recorded from the third row. The issue is clearly audible but sounds much louder in person:

Realistically, what are my options? Continue escalating at Tesla Tampa? Reach out to Tesla Corporate?

You can see what the Service center can do. But the X does flex on roads that are not smooth and is heavy so bangs through bumps and potholes. You can also try something like Gummi Pflege on the door seals and see if that helps door creaking. That worked on my BMW, Lexus, and previous X.

Thanks for your reply. I just struggle with the idea that a 145k car makes this much noise on city streets and highways. I'll try your suggestions but I think the noise is coming from the plastic panels in the third row... basically where I have the camera pointed.

Reactions: mohanman
Wow, this sounds like something loose inside those back pillars. Try to have someone sit in the back and narrow down which area that makes noise and go from there. Service center will not work on something general as noise in the back because realistically they can not tear down the whole car to look for the source of the problem. If you give them a solvable problem, they will be happy to fix it. Just from my own experience. Also, you can try another service center too

Thanks for your reply. I just struggle with the idea that a 145k car makes this much noise on city streets and highways. I'll try your suggestions but I think the noise is coming from the plastic panels in the third row... basically where I have the camera pointed.
I think the car is not as rigid because they cut big holes in the roof line for the falcon wing doors. So, the rear doors and body panels can move and flex much more relative to the door openings than a car with conventional rear doors.

With that said, if it really rattles it might be some loose of floating fasteners that fell out during construction and is rattle around on rough roads. I had one in the front door that only rattle on rough roads or when turning left. The results read "... Verified customer concerns. Technician discovered a small bolt was rolling around inside. Verified there was no missing bolts. ...". To check this out, the technician drove, and I was in the passenger seat on a slightly rough stretch of road. And, once he could duplicate the issue it did not take long to fix it. There 0.5 hours of labor listed on the invoice.

Now I think the grill behind the windshield is creaking when it is colder, or I run the A/C. I guess I need to take it in for another test drive and repair when I can come up with an easy to duplicate repo sequence.

Last edited:
Hello all - I'm new to the forum but I have searched in advance for this issue.

I took delivery on a 2022 Model X a few months ago. There was a host of issues that we wanted to get resolved but one is particularly annoying for a ~145k car. The inside of my car has a tremendous amount of rattling and creaking noises when driving. It is worse on city streets than it is on the highway but the issue is present for both situations. It is so annoying that I am considering selling the Model X.

I have taken the car to Tesla Tampa's service center multiple times without any success in addressing the issues. They're quite useless. They tell me that some rattle is normal for EVs... but I have driven in multiple model S,3, Ys... I just refuse to accept this. I have narrowed much of the noise down to the side panels of the second and third rows. The car seems very put together very cheaply... almost like it was 3D printed. Anyways, here is the video recorded from the third row. The issue is clearly audible but sounds much louder in person:

Realistically, what are my options? Continue escalating at Tesla Tampa? Reach out to Tesla Corporate?
Yup. You bought a Tesla.

Welcome to rattle-city. My Refresh MS is the same way.

Should not be that way. Mine is 100% quiet, 100% of the time. But, you do have to give them clues. "Car rattles a lot" is not good enough.
Ummmm yeah. I’ve isolated the locations, given them the vehicle on two separate occasions, and gone with them on test drives.

My car still rattles and squeaks. Any other suggestions?

Reactions: Elixir
Ummmm yeah. I’ve isolated the locations, given them the vehicle on two separate occasions, and gone with them on test drives.

My car still rattles and squeaks. Any other suggestions?

Same for me. August 16th would be my third attempt.

I’ve taken Tesla techs on a drive so that they can hear the issues for themselves. They’re just too disorganized to address the issues.

It’s a shame because I love everything else about the car… but it will prevent me from getting another Tesla.

Reactions: Elixir
Fold up a kitchen towel and place it exactly where I did on both Falcon doors and see if it helps the issue. Close the door on the towel. This puts pressure on that area.

I've got a service visit in a few weeks to address the same thing and I narrowed it down to this area. I just don't know if it's the door trim or the floor trim doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_4250.jpg
    IMG_4250.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 930
I’ve got the same problem- car is one month old. Going to service tomorrow (2nd time) to hopefully get it fixed, along with other small things. Last weekend my steering and/or suspension also started creaking- at least that one should hopefully be easier to diagnose/address.

I’ve got the same problem- car is one month old. Going to service tomorrow (2nd time) to hopefully get it fixed, along with other small things. Last weekend my steering and/or suspension also started creaking- at least that one should hopefully be easier to diagnose/address.
I’m also considering selling the car if they can’t fix it but mostly because I could easily make 5 figures of profit on it. I put an ad on Craigslist to test and demand is robust even at the price of a new one. The car is amazing but the rattles/build quality are less than stellar.