Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - Interior Noise / Rattling / Crackling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the sill and C pillar trim today. No more sounds....Happy. Still have a rattle somewhere in the seal belt adjuster on the passenger side. Next project?
oh...I have that on the driver side. DRIVE ME NUTS!!! I can't track where it is coming from...Model X is a piece of junk. as soon as EQS SUV are available, This pile of plastic goes to the next unfortunate person.

Reactions: jiehan
Wrap some tape around the metal hooks that the seats latch onto when folded down. The clips inside the seats seem to get loosened and the tape will make it fit more snug and resolved my rattled. I even had the service team check it out and see if there was an official fix but they simply wrapped black tape around it. 🤦‍♂️

I did the sill and C pillar trim today. No more sounds....Happy. Still have a rattle somewhere in the seal belt adjuster on the passenger side. Next project?
Found the issue! for me it was the camera on the exterior, pretty easy fix.
open front and rear doors.
lift up the small rubber cover on the bottom of the camera glass cover and release 2 screws.
the camera is attached with 1 screw, open it and release the camera.
put small piece of felt on the bottom tongue.
issue gone!

This car feels like it's coming from ikea factory with all of the self repairs i had to do till now with more to come.

Reactions: sorka
Did you try any of the suggestions in this thread? I know you probably don't feel like you need to given the price of the car, but if you want to fix the problem, you should try it. I don't know the lemon law specifically in FL, but I don't think you'll get far for a non safety issue and something that won't be perceived as not "working", such as a rattle.

Well, I took the speaker grill off of my $140k car and fixed a rattle. Took a literal 3 minutes and problem solved.
Seems less painful thing to try this than all the lawyer mess. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand rattles.... it took me a week to figure out what was rattling. But now it's fixed, I'm happy.

Reactions: skitown
For what its worth, as a datapoint, our 2023 MX LR (delivery on October 8th), has literally zero noises, rattling, crackling. I was simply amazed by how tight it is. They must have done a stellar job putting mine together. Coming from MX 75D 2018, its like its built on a different planet, unreal. It truly feels like a high end BMW/Audi in terms of interior quality, noise and tightness

For what its worth, as a datapoint, our 2023 MX LR (delivery on October 8th), has literally zero noises, rattling, crackling. I was simply amazed by how tight it is. They must have done a stellar job putting mine together. Coming from MX 75D 2018, its like its built on a different planet, unreal. It truly feels like a high end BMW/Audi in terms of interior quality, noise and tightness
My 2023 is good. It has a couple of little gaps and a misaligned door that I’m going to ask them to fix at a service appointment coming up to replace the badly scratches b pillar glass. As far as noises - I think it’s good. Less than 300 miles though.

Reactions: TJPDX
My 2023 is good. It has a couple of little gaps and a misaligned door that I’m going to ask them to fix at a service appointment coming up to replace the badly scratches b pillar glass. As far as noises - I think it’s good. Less than 300 miles though.
in my experience, when you take it to service centers they tend to fix one problem... but you end up with another

I’ve got the same problem- car is one month old. Going to service tomorrow (2nd time) to hopefully get it fixed, along with other small things. Last weekend my steering and/or suspension also started creaking- at least that one should hopefully be easier to diagnose/address.
What did the steering wheel creaking turn out to be? Mine is doing it with 200 miles on it

Mine sounded exactly like the video. It turned out to be the humongous c-pillar panel that wraps from the second row past the third row to the trunk. I fixed it by popping the entire edge from the FWD threshold to the just behind the 3rd row seat and using felt tape. It's silent now.

Just an update. About a week after I posted this, the noise returned. It turned out to be the lower FWD door panel on the rear corner that sits next to the bottom of the wheel well. When I nudged it with my fingers, it clicked loudly back and fourth over the metal of the door. Not sure about a permanent fix, but a quick spray of Vinylex completely killed the noise and it hasn't been back yet. If it comes back, I'll need to take the panel of and either used foam tape or silicon grease.

Found the issue! for me it was the camera on the exterior, pretty easy fix.
open front and rear doors.
lift up the small rubber cover on the bottom of the camera glass cover and release 2 screws.
the camera is attached with 1 screw, open it and release the camera.
put small piece of felt on the bottom tongue.
issue gone!

This car feels like it's coming from ikea factory with all of the self repairs i had to do till now with more to come.

Both my front side marker cameras were rattling like crazy. Tesla declined to fix it because they said my PPF installer bent the plastic tabs. I suppose it's actually possible. I removed the wheel well covers, and released the cameras with the tabs and then built about 1mm of height with jb weld and reinstalled the cameras. Now a tight fit.

Reactions: coco135