Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - Interior Noise / Rattling / Crackling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fix was found. I believe they jammed a bunch of goo/glue into the pinch weld as shown:

View attachment 890160

Service ticket shows the following:

I can confirm the noise is no longer present.
Interestingly, mine was a different fix at the SC today despite making a very similar sound. Creaking / clicking was coming from the speaker grille near the windshield. Confirmed the fix resolved the noise.

Attachments

• 1AA195E6-A8F7-4B24-AB4C-68C25DE2B14D.jpeg
    1AA195E6-A8F7-4B24-AB4C-68C25DE2B14D.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 224
Думаю, что простое заполнение герметиком в данном случае вряд ли поможет. Скорее всего подклинили проблемное место сварки или сделали что-то дополнительно.

I did a bunch of experimenting and found it doesn't appear to be the hatch, but is coming from the 3rd row seats. The rattle is less when the seats are up, but still occurs. Has anyone else seen this? The driver side seat rattles and the passenger side doesn't. The rattle sounds like it is coming from within the seat itself.

I have this exact issue with the driver side 3rd row seat. Did you get this resolved? I’m curious if it’s something I can resolve myself.

Reactions: jiehan
All these noise issues is making me reconsider my on order MX and look at the Merc EQS. But the price difference is a bit significant for a slower, less range suv and the Merc. site doesn’t have tow capacity available. Is the refreshed MX noises then the MS and MY? These two I test drove as MX was not available and I thought the MS was very quiet and well put together but sit much to low for us.

Last edited:
All these noise issues is making me reconsider my on order MX and look at the Merc EQS. But the price difference is a bit significant for a slower, less range suv and the Merc. site doesn’t have tow capacity available. Is the refreshed MX noises then the MS and MY? These two I test drove as MX was not available and I thought the MS was very quiet and well put together but sit much to low for us.

Model X with 20" rims interior noise sits around 62-67db at 60mph on the highway for me. That is exactly the same as my F150 truck. The only real noise you hear is some slight road noise, so if you drive on a bad road it will get louder. I don't hear any wind noise unless it is really windy outside.

IMO, the interior noise level is very quiet. Perfectly fine sitting with no radio, but with the radio on at a reasonable volume you'd never even hear the highway.

Reactions: GoVols!
Hello all - I'm new to the forum but I have searched in advance for this issue.

I took delivery on a 2022 Model X a few months ago. There was a host of issues that we wanted to get resolved but one is particularly annoying for a ~145k car. The inside of my car has a tremendous amount of rattling and creaking noises when driving. It is worse on city streets than it is on the highway but the issue is present for both situations. It is so annoying that I am considering selling the Model X.

I have taken the car to Tesla Tampa's service center multiple times without any success in addressing the issues. They're quite useless. They tell me that some rattle is normal for EVs... but I have driven in multiple model S,3, Ys... I just refuse to accept this. I have narrowed much of the noise down to the side panels of the second and third rows. The car seems very put together very cheaply... almost like it was 3D printed. Anyways, here is the video recorded from the third row. The issue is clearly audible but sounds much louder in person:

Realistically, what are my options? Continue escalating at Tesla Tampa? Reach out to Tesla Corporate?
Sorry for replying so late. I had these exact rattles in my 2022. Tesla did address by fixing two things: 1) triangular window in 3rd row was replaced, 2) cushioning material was added inside trim on FWD and alignment of FWD was adjusted. There’s still a ton of rattles, but those two fixes took care of the main ones.

Model X with 20" rims interior noise sits around 62-67db at 60mph on the highway for me. That is exactly the same as my F150 truck. The only real noise you hear is some slight road noise, so if you drive on a bad road it will get louder. I don't hear any wind noise unless it is really windy outside.

IMO, the interior noise level is very quiet. Perfectly fine sitting with no radio, but with the radio on at a reasonable volume you'd never even hear the highway.
Great! We always listen to music or books just loud enough we can still carry on a conversation. Thanks for the reply

Reactions: MARKM3
What was the issue?
I had the same issue and apparently it was the battery skid plate thing underneath.

“Noted clicking noise on test drive while turning steering yoke back and forth. Found noise to be from battery brashbar cover. Dirt had built up inside causing excessive noise. Removed both cover/plates and cleaned. Lubed components and re secured both and torqued down. Test drove to verify noise concern is no longer present.”

No charge.

Fold up a kitchen towel and place it exactly where I did on both Falcon doors and see if it helps the issue. Close the door on the towel. This puts pressure on that area.

I've got a service visit in a few weeks to address the same thing and I narrowed it down to this area. I just don't know if it's the door trim or the floor trim doing it.

i wanted to say thanks for posting this! Fixed my creaking on my 2019! My SC is useless, and I’ll have to deal with keeping these towels there because they won’t fix this noise even if they know about it. Most likely they’ll end up breaking something and causing and issue elsewhere. So, this works for me.

Adding to the list of cracking customers. For me - it's coming from the top center of the windshield when I drive on uneven / elevated surface. Mostly it's from the top center, occasionally it's on the left driver side pillar. Having heard glass crack before, I'm worried this is a precursor to a larger windshield issue.

I just opened a service request (I have a 2022 Tesla) and they want to charge me $160 to fix something on the suspension. Ok I can believe that the suspension may be shifting the car in a wrong way - but shouldn't this be covered by warranty? I'm arguing back but seeing what others may have experienced.

Video attached has no video, just audio. You can hear my directional as I'm turning up my driveway, and the creak/crack present

Had a very similar negative experience at the Santa Clara, CA service center. They seemed to have changed some internal policy about what must be customer pay.

All of my rattle noise concerns needed to be customer pay

Loose dangling wiring clip? Customer pay to properly attach it

Weatherstripping losing adhesive and coming apart? Customer pay

Had a very similar negative experience at the Santa Clara, CA service center. They seemed to have changed some internal policy about what must be customer pay.

All of my rattle noise concerns needed to be customer pay

Loose dangling wiring clip? Customer pay to properly attach it

Weatherstripping losing adhesive and coming apart? Customer pay
They tried this with me on my S Plaid since it was over a year old, but I pushed back, and they covered it. They told me rattles were only covered in the first year.

Adding to the list of cracking customers. For me - it's coming from the top center of the windshield when I drive on uneven / elevated surface. Mostly it's from the top center, occasionally it's on the left driver side pillar. Having heard glass crack before, I'm worried this is a precursor to a larger windshield issue.

I just opened a service request (I have a 2022 Tesla) and they want to charge me $160 to fix something on the suspension. Ok I can believe that the suspension may be shifting the car in a wrong way - but shouldn't this be covered by warranty? I'm arguing back but seeing what others may have experienced.

Video attached has no video, just audio. You can hear my directional as I'm turning up my driveway, and the creak/crack present

Nothing new here, that’s Tesla! you will get better customer service from a drug dealer

• Funny
Reactions: explosive0
Fold up a kitchen towel and place it exactly where I did on both Falcon doors and see if it helps the issue. Close the door on the towel. This puts pressure on that area.

I've got a service visit in a few weeks to address the same thing and I narrowed it down to this area. I just don't know if it's the door trim or the floor trim doing it
Did they ever identify / fix the issue?